Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ECHOLINK  (Read 2123 times)
KB0RDL

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:38:19 AM »

I've just started using ECHOLINK to make it into a repeater that I sometimes can't reach by ordinary methods and have also been bouncing around to other nodes trying to see how well it works.  Looking at the computer interface I can see that it has a real "retro" look, as if it were designed in the 1990's.  I was wondering if there are any any add-ons or if anyone else had any insight into this.  I have the feeling that it could be a whole lot better than it is and I'm wondering if I'm not missing something.
N5PVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »

I've just started using ECHOLINK to make it into a repeater that I sometimes can't reach by ordinary methods and have also been bouncing around to other nodes trying to see how well it works.  Looking at the computer interface I can see that it has a real "retro" look, as if it were designed in the 1990's.  I was wondering if there are any any add-ons or if anyone else had any insight into this.  I have the feeling that it could be a whole lot better than it is and I'm wondering if I'm not missing something.

It's not ham radio.

73 DE Charles, N5PVL
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »

I've just started using ECHOLINK to make it into a repeater that I sometimes can't reach by ordinary methods and have also been bouncing around to other nodes trying to see how well it works.  Looking at the computer interface I can see that it has a real "retro" look, as if it were designed in the 1990's.  I was wondering if there are any any add-ons or if anyone else had any insight into this.  I have the feeling that it could be a whole lot better than it is and I'm wondering if I'm not missing something.

It's not ham radio.

73 DE Charles, N5PVL

Thanks for the opinion, Charles.  Here's mine.  I think it's great to be able to access repeaters remotely and get your signal out on the air.  I once had a girlfriend who visited Disney World in Florida and I used my HT to access our club repeater which was an echolink node and dialed into the repeater at Disney World.  She and I communicated with our HT's while she walked around Disney World from 800 miles away.  Pretty neat stuff.  It wasn't shortwave.  It wasn't DX.  It was innovative and we used 2 meter VHF radio to accomplish it.  It was DEFINITELY ham radio.

I haven't used it in over a year so I can't comment on any "skins" that might be available.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: