About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Com  (Read 612 times)
W3IJD

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2003, 01:23:35 AM »

Has anybody had any experience with CW Com, the internet CW Chat Room?  I've played around a little bit using my mouse as a key and have QSO'd hams in Australia, England and Slovenia.  Talk about painless "DX."

I'm told I have to get an iambic keyer fed thru the serial port of the mouse if I want to upgrade from mouse keying.  Anyone know why I couldn't just use a hand key or bug?

Recommend CW Com as lots of fun.  I call it retro-tech.
N0JZQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 08:21:41 AM »

I have used CW Comm. Just recently started using it and it is a good learning tool. I hooked up a straight key (with some help of online users)and it works fine. I used an old serial cable. Just strip the wires a little so you can make tests with them. Set CW Comm on straight key and start touching the wires together until you get a tone. Once you have a tone, hook your straight key up to these wires.

Scott
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 08:58:27 AM »

I just started playing around with this over the weekend and it works great with a straight key.  The instructions are here:

http://www.mrx.com.au/images/cwcom_help.htm

about 80% of the way down.  The quick answer is that if you have a 9-pin serial connector on your computer, go to Rat Shack and buy a female DB-9 connector.  Solder two wires to pins 4 and 6, connect the other ends to the key.  Configure the software for the com port of your choice and pound away.  The site also has instructions for 25-pin connectors and joystick adapters.

If you only have a USB connection, life is a bit more complicated.  You can buy a cheap USB mouse and do a bit of surgery, or get a serial-to-USB convertor and use the procedure outlined above.

K9DI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 06:11:40 AM »

Hi,
      Wayne K9DI es Leader Dog Patriot here.  Would someone please email me the URl to this interesting site mentioned in this thread?  Tnx in advance...email addy is k9di@NOSPAMk9di.org (just remove the NOSPAM) and it'll work fine:)
de
Wayne K9DI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: