Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TM-D710 Intermittent Shut-down (posted also in Mod's & Repairs Forum)  (Read 5795 times)
KE7JEJ

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »

Good Morning! I am KE7JEJ, David, of Port Angeles, WA. I own a TM-D710A that I purchased 2+ years ago. S/No = A9100565. I have performed all the 2011.05.20 updates posted on the Kenwood Site.

I recently began using RMS Express and though not using Packet (nor APRS) Saturday when out for a trip down the highway, my rig began shutting down spontaneously & intermittently for no apparent reason and with no apparent pattern. I don't know that using RMS Express is anything more than coincidental to the problem. I happened to be scanning MR at the time on A Band. It would pop on & off repeatedly as if trying to correct itself. The display would not be complete w/each attempt to power up - sometimes a complete display, sometimes snowy, sometimes a partial display. It was as if there was a gremlin inside flipping a switch on/off/on/off. I had great difficulty keeping it on and decided to leave it off until I returned home. Once home (several hours later), I took it into the house, plugged it it to my power supply, and got the same symptoms. I have tried performing a full reset and reinstalling all the firmware from May 20th publication. No change. I have all the settings previously saved via MCP-2A Software.

Any insights?

Cheers!

David, KE7JEJ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »

It's broke!

I suspect there is an intermittent in the power cable, connector, or some other cable inside the radio. Could also be the remote cable too.

KE7JEJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »

Thanks, Alan!

Cheers!

David, KE7JEJ
KJ4BLW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »

Did you ever solve the problem.
My does the same
KE7JEJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »

Did you ever solve the problem.
My does the same

Yes, I did.

I am embarrassed to say that after sending it to a reliable repairman in WA (he couldn't find anything wrong and it operated fine on his bench for 24-48.3612 hrs), it turned out to be a loose connection at the DC Source. If I remember correctly it happened after loading the firmware updates. I noticed it first as I was scanning Memory freq's. I can't say it was immediately after as some time passed before using it again to scan freq.’s & process APRS Packets. It should be noted that the loose connection was discovered when using it as a base op. though the first occurrence was as a mobile op. in my truck.

Cheers!

David, KE7JEJ
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:32 AM »

I know this is an old thread and all but I too am having this problem with my TM-D710, and it's NOT due to a poor power connection and I find it interesting this only happens on THIS particular transceiver, never anything else. I have checked, checked again, and re-checked all power connections and everything is good to go but the radio continues to exhibit this strange phenomena despite everything being just fine. Regardless of that others may have found, there *IS* something else going on here (at least with my radio)  Huh

The search continues . . .  Undecided
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:13:54 AM »

First of all try taking the fuses out of the holders and cleaning the contacts on both. If that doesn't cure it then try using a PC network cable to connect the head unit to the main body. Just a regular straight through one will do.

If its only happening on TX and the above tests show no problem it could be the antenna mounting either being faulty or not having a sufficient ground.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »

temporarily  wire a small piece of  wire to several spots along the  power input  circuit.
then connect an  analog meter to each in sequence starting  close to the input cable.
if the radio  dies but the meter shows good,, move the meter up the line to the next sample point and
wait for the next failure...
use an  analog meter , if the failure is intermittant, you will see the needle  flop around.   
digital meters can show  between good and bad values if the input changes between  counts.

if you have them  use several meters at once.
see which  stay at  12 volts and which drop.     babby sitters they are called.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: