Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stereo plug  (Read 370 times)
KC8HZM

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2003, 12:39:31 PM »

I'm just wondering, is there a 'standard' way to wire a stereo plug from a paddle?  I'm assuming that ground should be the outside one, but which goes on the tip connection, the 'dit' or 'dah'?  I'm just wondering so that when I mix and match keyers and paddles they will be compatible and I won't have to switch Iambic modes.

Marten
KC8HZM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 04:38:35 PM »

Depends on whether you're right-handed or left-handed, actually, as well as how your keyer or rig is wired.

Try it one way (for your sending preference), and if that's wrong, reverse the "ring" and "tip" wires, and you'll be all set.  Yes, the "common" (dit and dah common, which is also chassis ground) is always the sleeve (long part of the plug shaft) connection.

WB2WIK/6
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 08:58:25 AM »

Your keyer manual (if keyer is external) or radio manual (if keyer is internal) will show you the standard wiring.
KC2KCF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 10:13:29 PM »

I don't think there is a standard. I've seen commercial keyers and radios using opposite conventions. With some radios, it's configurable, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: