Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IAMBIC KEYING???  (Read 1503 times)
KC0OHP

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2003, 02:20:22 AM »

Question..

Could someone enlighten me about Iambic
Keying? What type of keying is this consider'ed?
 Or some general infromation about it!

What type of keyer is used for IAMBIC.
Dot's Dashes on it.  Wiring format for IAMBIC type.

How is it to be wired.  Also what type of PLUG
Connection is used.  The general function of this
type of keying for CW etc.

Dwight
   KC0OHP...

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 12:44:52 PM »

Iambic operation is the same as standard electronic keying, with the single exception of operator activity and skill set.  The key uses a 3-wire connection, like any other keyer paddle; the keyer connection to the transmitter is a 2-wire connection, like any key.

Iambic keying requires a 2-lever dual-paddle key that can be "squeezed" together to form characters, and does not provide the option of using a single lever key with individual dit and dah contacts.  Most electronic keyer paddles have dual levers, anyway, so can be used either iambic or non-iambic.  It's up to you.

Most all electronic keyers provide for iambic keying; but you needn't use them this way if you don't want to.  It's purely up to how you use the paddles.  Iambic keying takes a bit more practice than non-iambic, but once you're used to it, it requires less hand movement and therefore is a tad less stressful, especially at highly elevated keying speeds.

WB2WIK/6
DK3QN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 10:47:59 AM »

see a brief explanation plus some pictures on my web site

http://www.dk3qn.com/wf00048.htm

73, Klaus, DK3QN

BIRDDOG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 06:38:36 PM »

You should try an Iambic, Dwight. From a person who is new to ham; I just tried out my new Iambic last night. It is neat. Different than a Bug or straight key, definitely. I have to say I really like it. It's like the wife...point it in a direction and it wants to keep going. It's taking some getting used to.

I still love my old fashioned Bug though. Just something special about it.

Ron
KC0QXU
FP-682
KD5IVP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 09:24:37 AM »

Iambic also comes in two 'modes' which allow for automatic character completion after a paddle is released.  You'll find Iambic 'a' and 'b' in most modern electronic keyers. In Iambic 'a' for instance, the letter 'R' would be made by pressing and holding the dit paddle while tapping the dah paddle once, then releasing the dit paddle.  Or a '.' or period would be made by depressing the dit paddle then holding both paddles closed until the character is complete.  With a little practice you'll find you can blaze along and barely move your fingers...more like 'tickling' the paddles instead of pressing them.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 02:10:42 PM »

It sounds like there is also a little confusion between the paddles and the keyer itself.  So here goes my attempt at an explanation.

A keyer (not the paddles that operate it) can be either iambic A or iambic B or non-iambic.  In the non-iambic mode, you press the dash paddle and you get dashes, press the dot paddle and you get dots.  There is no automatic alternating of dots and dashes if you hold both paddles.  With an iambic keyer, holding BOTH paddles you get alternating dots and dashes.  There are two versions; A or B.  In A, the moment you let go of the paddles, the string of dots and dashes stops. In B, the moment you let go of the paddles, it will complete the string by adding a dot if the last thing it sent while you were holding both paddles was a dash and vice versa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: