Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna falls off car, hits another car, auto insurance liability cover damages?  (Read 4941 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »

Its bound to happen to some ham...

A mobile antenna (likely a big HF mobile antenna) becomes unsecure and comes off its mount on a Hams car in motion on the highway.

It is now flying through the air, and as murphys law has it, strikes another trailing car causing damage or worse, an accident.

In this situation, is there a possibilty auto liability insurance cover the resulting damages?

My question is about liability, not antenna mounting.

Thanks in advance, Ken
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »

I'm sure there are as many different kinds of policies as there are hypothetical situations that create them. It's best to start with your own policy, and present the situation to your agent. Perhaps you're covered, or perhaps there is an endorsement or rider that can be bought to cover the event. If not, check with other insurance companies and agents.

Meanwhile, do whatever it takes to insure the antenna doesn't come apart and fall off the vehicle. Do as pilots do, check everything before every flight. If there's the slightest doubt, don't fly (drive) until you get it fixed. The consequences of neglect could result in death!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »

hi,

perhaps the same situation as a bicycle falling off the
carrier on the rear of your car or truck.

73 james
WX7K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »

Insurance coverage for damages is only part of the equation.  You can be held legally responsible also.  IF you do not secure everything on your vehicle, you are resposnible for any damage if it falls off and can be cited for it.  IF your antenna caused an accident that resulted in a death, I suspect you would be in a world of hurt, legally.  Similar to running a stop sign and causing an accident.

Newell
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »

My advise would be JUST KEEP GOING - DON'T STOP.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »

My advise would be JUST KEEP GOING - DON'T STOP.

I sure hope you are joking, because leaving the scene of an accident is a felony in most states.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »

hi,

get one of these USA made mounts and you can sleep well at night.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/breedlove1/

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: