Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Military keys  (Read 415 times)
K5CEY

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2002, 04:42:01 PM »

I have 2 old mil hand keys. One is a J37 and the other is a J41A. They look virtually identical to me. Am I overlooking something? They are not the quality of a J38. I figure they must have been used in radio classes or code practice.
            John  K5CEY
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 06:43:39 PM »

I would disagree with your statement that the J-37 is not the quality of the J-38.  I have a J-37 and it is a nicer key than all of the J-38's I have seen up until now.  Of course, these were made by different manufacturers and have all had different amounts of care over the years.

You might be interested in this site:

http://www.qsl.net/k6ix/J37Keys.html

K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 08:04:48 PM »

Hi K1ZC,
   Guess I didn't state that very well. Mostly what I meant is both the J37 and J41 are built on phenolic frames. All the J38's I've seen are metal. I also have a J36, and I'm pleased to have them all. Just don't understand why the 37 and 41 are identical with the two different nomenclatures.
                John  K5CEY
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 05:38:13 PM »

Well, looks like I found the answer to my own question. I went to Google and found out that the J41 is the same as a J37 except that it has a "back" contact. The back contact has been removed,probably by me, many years ago. I've had this key since the early 50's.
  Now I'd like to know the original purpose of that back contact.
                John
M3GKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 08:05:54 AM »

I don't know about the military but back contacts were often used in marine commercial installations for receiver muting (full QSK). As the back contact lifted it muted all the receivers in the radio room plus any public antenna systems that were fitted to allow the crew to use their own radios.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: