Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L-4B PS Cable  (Read 817 times)
VK2MTB

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »

Hi I Have a L-4b and power supply I want to put the power supply under the bench but the cable from the PS to the AMP is to short, If I Made a longer one  <eg 3 foot > would there be any bad issues with a longer one Huh?   and what would I use for the HV cable ? Huh  the original one looks like Teflon insulation !!
 Thanks for any info
  Mark VK2MTB
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:58:23 AM »

Probably. You have to be careful to make sure the voltage drop for the filaments is within specs. Since I don't know what the stock cable configuration is, I can't say what needs to be done.

VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »

Standard L-4/L-4B/L-7 cable is about 4-5 feet, but really poor quality. The HV+ is a separate lead but bundled in an insulated single cable pack…great provided you don't touch the wrong thing. You could look at 15KV insulated single conductor from Ebay (China) for the HV+ and consider running that separate from the rest of the control cables.
73s
VR2AX
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:18 AM »

Voltage drop is caused by the wire resistance and current drawn.  It's a relatively simply matter to extend cable lengths.  If you feel that you might lose voltage in a longer cable, simply replace that particular conductor with a larger size wire. Be aware, there is reason to all things.  There is also the limiting factor of the connector that goes on the end of the wire.

As for HV wiring, I use HV spark plug wires on cars.  You have to be careful here and be sure to get the copper conductor wire.  Most modern auto plug wires are some kind of carbon fiber.  Normally the insulation rating on metal conductor spark plug wire is around 50Kv.  I never bundle my HV wire with anything else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: