Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Mobile..correct etiquette for saying you are mobile...  (Read 2129 times)
KF9ZA

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »

I really enjoy HF mobile and when driving ID myself with my call and "Mobile".  Right now my only HF is the rig in my SUV.  Since it's the only HF radio and antenna I have, I sometimes back up out of my garage, hook up a power supply to the radio and make contacts.  On these "driveway QSOs" I identify myself as mobile since I'm running a mobile rig, 100w, into a hamsick on the SUV roof.  Is that the correct etiquette?  Should I identify myself as mobile only when I am actually driving?  Or is is OK to say mobile since I'm using the somewhat restrictive mobile setup?
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »

Sitting in your driveway working the rig in the car could be looked at as both
mobile or portable. I'd go with mobile. Technically, you are not "mobile" in the
sense that you are not moving, but, does it really matter? I don't think so.
 If I work a DX station while mobile, I stop somewhere that is safe, and get their
info so I can log the station when I get home. And also, I do that at times when
I really want to have a long rag chew with someone interesting and don't want to
have to deal with the signal changes that happen while mobile.
 If there is a large pileup on a particular DX station and I am wanting to work them,
the safest thing to do is to stop somewhere and try and make the contact. I have found that a lot of DX operators show some preference to mobile stations. And will grab them
quicker than some base stations. So, being mobile does have it's advantages!
And if using your rig in your car while it's sitting the the drive like you said, I think that
is OK. It's not like you are a big gun station claiming you are mobile just to get the DX station to come back to you. (I don't think I have heard anyone doing that yet)
Either way you do it, have fun!!
james
WD5GWY

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »

I really enjoy HF mobile and when driving ID myself with my call and "Mobile".  Right now my only HF is the rig in my SUV.  Since it's the only HF radio and antenna I have, I sometimes back up out of my garage, hook up a power supply to the radio and make contacts.  On these "driveway QSOs" I identify myself as mobile since I'm running a mobile rig, 100w, into a hamsick on the SUV roof.  Is that the correct etiquette?  Should I identify myself as mobile only when I am actually driving?  Or is is OK to say mobile since I'm using the somewhat restrictive mobile setup?

IMHO, if you're using a setup that's self-contained and you can drive down the road the moment you hang the mic up, you're mobile. If you require any setup/teardown before being street-legal, you're portable.

But that's just me Smiley
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »

There are no official designations such as "mobile" or "portable." You don't have to append anything to your call sign unless you want to.

That said, I do usually append /mobile when I am out and about and /portable if operating at some semi-fixed location out of town. If you want to get REAL technical, anything but at home could be considered portable, i.e., not fixed.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »

Using the suffix "mobile", is a mixed bag of tricks. Some less than English-speaking DX stations, often think the mobile after the call is the third letter as it were. For example, KØBG/M, gets put in the log as KØBGM!

If you do everything correctly with respect to your install, and the band conditions are good, there is no reason to tell anyone you're mobile. Far too many times, doing so shortens up the QSO to a minute or two, instead of a much longer one.

If you just have to let folks know you're mobile, then use the suffix I use: Mobile-In-Motion!

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »

One other consideration:  Saying you're mobile can help you get through the pileup, but I've quit using it except on occasion, or if I'm directly asked if I'm mobile.  The reason is that I'm using LOTW these days (great system!), and I've found that I need to submit just about all of my contacts twice:  One under my regular certificate, and again either with the portable or with the mobile certificate, depending on which way I was operating.  I've found that some hams log me as "AC4RD/M" and some don't; some log "AC4RD/P" when I'm portable and others don't, and to get the LOTW credit, I pretty much need to submit all the mobiles and all the portables with both the regular and the /m or /p certificate.   It isn't a big deal, not much more bother, but these days I rarely mention when I'm mobile unless I want the op to pick me out of a crowd.   Just a thought.
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »

Using the suffix "mobile", is a mixed bag of tricks. Some less than English-speaking DX stations, often think the mobile after the call is the third letter as it were. For example, KØBG/M, gets put in the log as KØBGM!

If you do everything correctly with respect to your install, and the band conditions are good, there is no reason to tell anyone you're mobile. Far too many times, doing so shortens up the QSO to a minute or two, instead of a much longer one.

If you just have to let folks know you're mobile, then use the suffix I use: Mobile-In-Motion!

YUP!  "Mobile in Motion" is what I say as well. Sometimes I get a quicker response in a pile-up if I use that, even when there are stations that are stronger than myself. Many times ops will make a mobile a priority over others so they don't lose them because you are moving and one might go into a dead spot and loose the contact.

73!

Wayne C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: