Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 146.520??  (Read 4457 times)
KD0PBO

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »

Does anyone still monitor or at least have 146.520 in the scan set? I went on a good 4 hour haul (there and back) a few weeks ago and put out my call several times while cruising the highway with no answer. Is it just in my area that the calling freq seems dead?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:06:14 AM »

Years ago, I'd leave an FM rig on 146.52, squelched, while traveling; every now and then I'd give my callsign a time or two.  Or I'd be passing through a town and hear activity, and jump in for a hello.  The last few times I did this, though, I didn't find any activity--and that was well over a half-dozen years ago.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 06:42:08 AM »

I took a two-week road trip, last year. I was pinging my location on APRS and monitoring 146.52 the whole time. I got 1 QSO from a Ham in California.

Practically, a VHF simplex QSO is problematic while on the road. Unless you happen to be driving in the same direction and not driving in any sort of hilly terrain, you have a very limited time to make or have a QSO--maybe 3 to 5 minutes (the time it would take to put 6-10 miles between you). So, if you're trying to make a mobile VHF QSO with whoever happens to be in the area, you'd need to call CQ every 2-3 minutes or you could drive right past another Ham and never know it.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:49:16 AM »

I don't use much FM anymore. I can't speak for others, but around these parts, FM operation is a vast wasteland. I don't think I've heard any meaningful conversation on any of the 2 meter repeaters in the last couple of years, save for the foot race support team.

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:23:43 PM »

Does anyone still monitor or at least have 146.520 in the scan set? I went on a good 4 hour haul (there and back) a few weeks ago and put out my call several times while cruising the highway with no answer. Is it just in my area that the calling freq seems dead?

The only time I heard any activity on .52 was when I used to drive up to college - there was a group in SW VA somewhere between Roanoke and Danville that used it. Pretty rolling terrain there, so it was all fixed stations.

Other than that, your experiences exactly.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »

Around here, ( northern California), there is some activity on 146.52, but not a lot. On 2m and 440 there is repeaters all up and down the valley.  There is also a lot of 2m ssb on the air, but mostly 2 or 3 times a week in the evenings, on SSB nets ( sidewinders on two comes to mind).  thee is also a well coordinated system of linked repeaters on 900 mhz, ( google NC9RS) and almost always some one on there. and of course there are othere linked machines like Condor and such.  But most of the time 146.52 is not in use.  A lot of folks around here us 147.555 as a local simplex channel
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 06:53:24 AM »

I have 146.520 in the scan set of my mobile radio here in Montana.  We are a very large, rural state.  I haven't made a lot of mobile to mobile qso's on this frequency, but the past year I've made two air mobile contacts.  One was with a ham in a Lear jet, and the other was with an air force pilot in a modified F-18 who was flying from the west coast to the east coast.  When those airplanes are up at 30,000 feet, they can really get their signal out!  I was driving just east of Malta, Montana and the air force pilot was flying over Billings, Montana.  That was about a 190 mile range.  Both of these are two of my more memorable contacts on 2M!

Wane - KB7FSC
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »

I`ll listen to `520 if I`m in the car. Last night there was a band opening,but didn`t hear anything on simplex. Repeater coverage was quite better though. We have a local group in the Trenton area who monitor `550. I`ll throw my call out and get a response often. A few weeks back was in the car and heard some good distance on `520 with an opening. It`s better working someone at home with a base antenna than ever hoping to work mobile to mobile. Base to mobile simplex works good.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

Back when personal mobile communication was something that only hams did, that frequency was specified as the calling frequency.  Today, with the proliferation of cell phones and other personal communications methods, 2 meter FM is all but dead.  Even repeaters rarely see all that much activity--and their range is quite possibly five to ten times greater than simplex.

Outside of local nets for various purposes--weather watching, socializing and such, and the all pervasive emergency communications types, two meter FM is a wasteland.
N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 07:11:58 AM »

just back from syacuse ny to washington dc and back drive. i was able to hear several operators on this drive ,but due to low power on my end not be able to contact them . one qso was completed just south of harrisburg pa . when i travel the radio goes on .52  and if a plated call passes me i try to call them there 95 percent of the time no luck but can be rewarding for those who are persistent.
W1LVL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »

Before the days of the RADIO POLICE 52 had more activity. My last trip across the country (FL to Eastern WA) I made more contacts on 2 meter SSB than on FM simplex and repeaters.

George W1LVL
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:54 AM »

When I drive from Charleston, SC to where my Aunt lives in Columbiana, OH, I program all the repeaters within 20 miles of I77 into my mobile rig.  Switching from repeater to repeater and calling as I travel, I almost never get ANY response.  Listening and calling on 146.520 has yielded many more contacts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: