Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What has been the best part about being a ham radio operator?  (Read 4379 times)
AC6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 11:05:55 PM »

Hi Kris,
       The best thing I liked about Ham Radio is that the digital modes taught me to type. I think I have only picked up a mike to talk only a few times probably because of stage fright but the digital modes to me are great. I hope you find what you like for sure. Bill
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 05:24:04 AM »

The great friends I have made are for me the best part of the many years I have been a ham.

Russ
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »

I've always been a pretty avid DXer, with 14 DXCC's including Honor Roll.  But the best part is the friends I've made over the years.  There's nothing like having a DX station call you by name immediately when they hear your call, or sometimes even when just hearing your voice before hearing you call.  The quicky DXCC-generating QSO's are great.  But even better are the DX ragchews.  It gives you a real sense of the world and can give you a better understanding of what life is like in other parts of the world.  And, at least for me, a greater respect for other cultures, races and religions, which I think is sadly lacking in many just due to lack of understanding.

Don, K2DC
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 06:23:31 AM »

If you want a real discussion, ask what folks don't like about amateur radio.

K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »

Hi: The BEST part of "Ham" Radio is the FOOD!!! I'm sorry, a "deviled-ham" sandwich made me say it!! Have fun-it's a great hobby. 73, Bunky, K4EJQ 
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »

Being abused by AC5UP

It's OK, he doesn't like Heathkit either and there is nothing wrong with it.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »

Several suggestions on finding what interests you most...try focusing on it exclusively for awhile and see how you like it.

That's what got me hooked into DX and into CW.

Also, I am finding a real thrill with VHF for the first time in 33 years of hamming, AND rediscovering the joys of QRP...how far can I go.  Plus, digital modes offer a never-ending horizon of opportunity.

Keep us posted on your quest, and never hesitate to ask for help!  After 33 years in the hobby, I learn something new every day from other hams.  That's also a great element of the hobby!

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 06:29:15 AM »

For me, it was getting me into radio engineering as a profession, meeting the XYL at the radio club and all the friends I've made. As far as operating goes, HF DXing, especially on CW. And, (brag time) getting the 5BDXCC certificate last week!
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »

Well as I pipe in it is 2 fold, getting back into the experimenting and troubleshooting aspect of electronics which I had let go for a long number of years and now as I got my general listening to hams across the world, some with signals so strong it sounds like they are next door.

Made my first true DX over the weekend to a YL station!! 15m running about 50-75watts on an inverted v.

Jeff
KC9QQM
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »

The people.  I've found that the most technically demanding aspects of the hobby (contesting and VHF/UHF/microwave weak signal) have some tremendous and interesting people involved.  But, it really depends on what interests you...
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »

I like wearing the cape, kepi, combat boots and carrying the baton.

Oh, the question was about Ham Radio?  Then what's not to like?

Allen
KD0NFY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »

I like a bunch of different aspects of ham radio.  I'm sort of embarrassed to say it, but one of the things that I enjoy is how much ham radio has taught me about geography. 
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »

I like seeing all the attactive young women that fill the crowd at every hamfest.
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »

I like seeing all the attactive young women that fill the crowd at every hamfest.

Yeah, they really dig hams, that's for sure. But don't forget the fame or the mad cash ;-)

Chris
AK4KZ
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »

Yeah, they really dig hams, that's for sure. But don't forget the fame or the mad cash ;-)

Gentlemen, I can settle this.  My wife was an XYL once, and I can tell you for sure, all those pretty young women at hamfests are there partly because they just LOVE that drain-cleaner coffee and those 75-cent bright pink hotdogs at the hosting club's snack bar.  :-)  Women--no offense, ladies--women just LOVE fine dining!
  Wink
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: