Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macro-free Sundays  (Read 7395 times)
N1ZHE

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2011, 07:51:54 PM »

Hey there!

I was nearly addicted to JT65 (ok, there was no "nearly" about it) and recently "rediscovered" PSK31, MFSK16, etc.

One thing that turned my off about PSK31 (etc) was it was a button pushing mode, lots of macros, no real human contact.

Many of you have probably discovered what I'm about to propose so I admit I'm probably reinventing the wheel here.

Let's make Sundays a Macro-free day on the digital modes (outside of contests).

You can still use macros but you have to insert a LOT of rag chewing in between.

What think you???

Hope to meet you on the waterfall soon!

David, N1ZHE
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »

Sounds excellent.  I enjoy ragchewing in OLIVIA, CONTESTIA and HELL modes.  If copy is really good, HELL mode is the most fun for me, but I'll use whatever works the best.  Anyway, in these modes, ragchewing is the norm.  I don't care for the PSK or the JT65 hit and log next... format.

John
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:17:03 AM »

John,

I must not be "hanging out" at the right times for these modes. I never have heard or worked any of the modes you listed.

But I'll have to give them another try. I'll look up the freqs again online.

David, N1ZHE

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:23:25 AM »

Why not expand "Macro Free Sunday" to 7 days a week?  Grin
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »

Hoping it would catch on and do just that ...
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:08 AM »

There are a some macros that are very useful, such as sending the RST, name, location, and (maybe) gridsquare. It's frustrating to watch someone type these static details character by character using hunt and peck. Macros that tell you the time, band, and frequency are ABSOLUTELY a waste of time. I already know what time it is and what frequency I'm on. Very few people care about the details of all 7 of your antennas or what computer you're using.

Many people on PSK are just interested in pushing a new pin in the map, getting a quick QSL, or getting a new state, country, or gridsquare. PSK is a great method to push the limits and make contacts one couldn't get on voice. Others want to share the intimate and lengthy details about their recent hip surgery. Most fall somewhere in between. Neither extreme is 'wrong'.

As someone new to all of this, I mostly enjoy making new, fairly quick contacts because it's rare to find a conversation that is not mind-numbingly boring. I usually ask a simple, unique question to gauge interest in chatting - "Are the leaves changing there yet?", "Are you a (insert local team here) fan?", etc., and then see how things flow.

We all know that a "Macro Free Sunday" would never happen. Perhaps those that want to chat could send "CQ Ragchew"? This would certainly help.
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »

Usually what I have found that seems to work is on Sunday evening (I work 2nd shift so I cannot speak for other evenings) if the contact is really good with good print I will throw in a comment, maybe about antennas or if the other op has mentioned something about his shack in a macro, then I may make a positive comment about that.

The ball is now in their court. If they use only macros, then that's how the QSO will go. If they answer, the conversation is started.

During these conversations I still use macros, in fact I usually use all my macros. There's just a LOT of real human interaction and conversation mixed in. More than just pushing buttons.

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »

"Never on Sunday" - or Monday , Tuesday, Wednesday etc. etc.

I've moderated my response to macro-freaks and become mellow in my curmudgeny dotage.  In the past I've berated them for their rudeness and conversational ineptitude.  Now days, after they've made me aware of  their pathology, I simply make up a convenient excuse for concluding the contact ... time for me to walk my pet walrus, catch a good autopsy on TV, watch the curling championship re-runs, trim my toenails or empty the bit bucket on my computer etc.   Frankly, I have more fun talking to the GPS in my car than to these button pushers. They've certainly figured out how to push my buttons!
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »

Thanks N4UM.

G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »

Er.... but you were addicted to JT 65 where there is no human content at all.

G0GQK
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 05:41:29 PM »

John,

I must not be "hanging out" at the right times for these modes. I never have heard or worked any of the modes you listed.

David, N1ZHE

Run an automated repeating CQ in these mode about 1 to 2 khz above the PSK activity. Be patient.. use RSID... have fun!

WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »

Why not expand "Macro Free Sunday" to 7 days a week?  Grin

I like that idea!   Grin

But what I think is happening is that PSK is faster than many people can type and therefore they use macros.   I like Olivia, but it's so slow....like copying 5 wpm CW.   

I suspect people use the slower modes for real contact and let the computers handle the faster modes with macros.   

I avoid PSK operation because of the hello-73 contacts.   

Oh, I also think it's popular with DX since they can have QSOs without knowing English (or whatever language).

WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »

John,

David, N1ZHE

If everybody listens and no one calls CQ in those modes, no one will hear anyone Sad

You gotta call CQ!  Smiley

Ken
N1EN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 06:17:02 AM »

But what I think is happening is that PSK is faster than many people can type and therefore they use macros.   I like Olivia, but it's so slow....like copying 5 wpm CW.   

I suspect people use the slower modes for real contact and let the computers handle the faster modes with macros.   

I avoid PSK operation because of the hello-73 contacts.   

Oh, I also think it's popular with DX since they can have QSOs without knowing English (or whatever language).

Mostly agree.

I was intrigued by PSK for the first week or so after I got on HF, before macro boredom set in and before I got tired of just how congested places like 14.070 are.

I still will work PSK -- it's a fast way to double-check my interface settings, and I will admit that I am a collector of band-entites and counties.

I have noticed more people taking a hybrid approach -- using macros to start an over, but adding some real/personalized dialogue at the end.  It's a nice touch, I think -- still permitting a contact with the macros-only crowd, but opening the door to a ragchew if the other party is interested / is fluent enough in English to do so / really is receiving you 599.
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »

Who knows, It might even catch on like meatless Friday.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: