Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macro-free Sundays  (Read 7435 times)
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:25 PM »

Why not expand "Macro Free Sunday" to 7 days a week?  Grin

But what I think is happening is that PSK is faster than many people can type and therefore they use macros.   I like Olivia, but it's so slow....like copying 5 wpm CW.   

Actually, try playing with CONTESTIA or OLIVIA at different bandwidth/tones.   You can find some settings that are better than 32 wpm.  Check out this page for some info...

http://www.oliviamode.com/Contestia.htm
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 05:13:25 AM »

Actually, try playing with CONTESTIA or OLIVIA at different bandwidth/tones.   You can find some settings that are better than 32 wpm.  Check out this page for some info...

Yes, I had a nice QSO last evening with a station running Olivia 500/4.   Much nicer.   But still takes up a lot of bandwidth vs. something like Contestia 125/8 or DominoEX...or PSK31.

One of the other issues with Olivia (and I guess all FEC modes?) is the turn around time.   Have you ever noticed how you will hear the other station end transmitting and it takes your screen another half minute to display what was sent?   

Ken
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 05:32:47 AM »

Have you ever noticed how you will hear the other station end transmitting and it takes your screen another half minute to display what was sent?   

I would change software you use or even machine too because it will take a few seconds to sync up normally to decode but much longer points to software, hardware or tuning accuracy problem. (assuming a good signal) Try Domino as it is not tuning sensitive.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 05:41:45 AM »

Have you ever noticed how you will hear the other station end transmitting and it takes your screen another half minute to display what was sent?   

I would change software you use or even machine too because it will take a few seconds to sync up normally to decode but much longer points to software, hardware or tuning accuracy problem. (assuming a good signal) Try Domino as it is not tuning sensitive.

It's not the software.   As I understand it, FEC requires an overlap of several frames to do it's work.   

If you look at the information on oliviamode.com he talks about this delay and even mentions that CQ should not be called any more frequently than once every 60 seconds because of the delay in decoding may take 30-40 seconds. 

Yes, I like Dominio EX and Contestia because they are faster.  Unfortunately there are less stations using those modes.   

Ken
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »

I have noticed more people taking a hybrid approach -- using macros to start an over, but adding some real/personalized dialogue at the end.  It's a nice touch, I think -- still permitting a contact with the macros-only crowd, but opening the door to a ragchew if the other party is interested / is fluent enough in English to do so / really is receiving you 599.

This is what I have discovered.  It is an art to coax some ops out of the "dueling macros" mode -- just like it is to ignite any stimulating conversation.  I've manage to turn a few macro 'droids into humans before the QSO is over by striking the right chord.  They discover they don't die a painful death if they overrun the buffer Smiley

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »

If you look at the information on oliviamode.com he talks about this delay and even mentions that CQ should not be called any more frequently than once every 60 seconds because of the delay in decoding may take 30-40 seconds. 

I have never experienced such a delay ever. Did not know that some did. And my 6 year old laptop is no speed demon either. I also use MultiPSK for everything except SSTV

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 02:51:28 AM »

As far as the delay in decoding with OLIVIA and CONTESTIA... Yes there is a SLIGHT delay, but it's really no big deal. 

For the adventurous, you can tweak sync intergration period and tune margin for somewhat less delay... see http://www.oliviamode.com/oliviatips.htm
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 11:26:08 AM »

As far as the delay in decoding with OLIVIA and CONTESTIA... Yes there is a SLIGHT delay, but it's really no big deal. 

I have found that if you are not zero beated with it and it can take a while for software to track it and lock on it if not zero beated. I have found sometimes that for what ever reason some sations are not zero beated on you. When I see a difference I use RIT to tune them and keep my transmit in one place.

KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

........I avoid PSK operation because of the hello-73 contacts........
That's hilarious because I avoid PSK operation because I ALWAYS get the macro that takes 20 minutes to send about how many kids they have, the amount of RAM in the computer, operating system, height above sea level, ad nauseum. Nothing against anyone who prefers that, but it isn't for me. UR 599, Dan, MI, thanks, have fun, is good enough for me.
W6UX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »

I've finally whittled my macros down to an absolute minimum:

• CQ - <start>cq cq cq de w6ux w6ux k <stop>
  • Call - <start><call> <call> de w6ux w6ux kn <stop>
  • Begin QSO - <start><call> ur <rst> <rst>. Name is Jeff.  QTH is Irvine, CA (DM13cr)<enter><enter>
  • Over - <enter><call> de w6ux kn <stop>
  • End QSO - <start> tnx for qso.  73 de w6ux sk <stop>
  • QRZ? - <start> qrz? qrz? de w6ux k <stop>

These are minimal, and work for any digital mode.  I have a second set of macros for DXpedition QSOs (even more terse).  When my "Begin QSO" macro completes, the rig is still transmitting, and I can freestyle chat at that point.  Right away, the other op knows there is a humanoid at the other end  Wink

If he comes back with a non-macro, then we go into rag chew mode.  Otherwise, I just reply with my End QSO macro and move on.  I'll work robots or people, and that's just fine with me.  Also, when the other op turns the QSO back over to me, I just hit the tx button, I don't send "YOUR CALL de MY CALL", because I think this is redundant.  Anyone eavesdropping already knows who's talking to each other after he turns the QSO back over to me.

My goal was to make the usual repetitive stuff as short and sweet as possible.  If the other guy wants to know more about me or my setup, he can ask specifics, otherwise, I don't want to bore him.  I decided to abandon the use of brag files...I got sick of watching them print on my screen.

de Jeff, W6UX
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »

I don't use macros on any digital mode because they're too impersonal and don't convey any useful information for the most part (who cares what operating system I'm running?)

I can type fast enough to keep ahead of almost any digital mode, but I can see where this may be an issue for some of the hunt-and-peck types out there. Macros aren't necessarily evil--just keep their use to a reasonable minimum (calling CQ, QTH, etc.)

The best way I've found to break people out of macro mode during my contacts is to ask them questions the answers to which are not likely to be programmed into a macro ("What do you like best about living in xxxxxxx?")

I find that some of the more exotic modes (Olivia, Contestia, etc.) have fewer macro jockeys than PSK31 does, so that's where I prefer to hang out.
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »

Olivia and Contestia are NOT exotic modes   LOL.

Many of my digital contacts run for about an hour and that's running in modes at 30 or 40 wpm.   Thankfully, not many people have an hour's worth of macros ;-)

Speaking of hating macro contacts, I really get turned off when someone immediately has my information from QRZ.com.  Heck if they already know my name and location, etc. and it's going to be a short QSO, why are we bothering at all?

Of course, the callbook has my formal name, Kenneth.   When some comes back with that, I'm about ready to pull the plug, especially when I tell them my name is Ken.   Why are we "communicating"?

Ken

KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:35 AM »

One definition of

EXOTIC (ref: Merriam Webster):  strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual

I would say that OLIVIA and CONTESTIA fit that!  That's a GOOD thing btw!

WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 04:57:27 AM »

One definition of

EXOTIC (ref: Merriam Webster):  strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual

Not IMO, they are just plain normal modes.  Of course, YMMV  Smiley

Last night I had a nice hour and a half qso on 40m with a station operating portable in Florida.

Ken

KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »

One definition of

Not IMO, they are just plain normal modes.  Of course, YMMV  Smiley

Last night I had a nice hour and a half qso on 40m with a station operating portable in Florida.

Ken

Nah... see a "normal digital mode" would be macros and then next contact.... an hour and a half qso is exotic. Smiley

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: