Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco HF radios---  (Read 3694 times)
VE3GNU

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »

Alinco HF rigs don't seem to be as popular as the 'major players'---so my questions:  How do they compare with the rigs of the 'major players'?  How 'good' are they?  Price-wise they seem to offer 'good value' for what you get---heck, the newer models still offer true analog circuits (if I read the specs correctly)!  The Eham Reviews by owners are really 'all over the map'---so anyone?  What's been your experience?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:17:26 PM »

I have an Alinco DX-SR8T which is being used as a base station at the moment but will be installed in the mobile shortly.  I only operate SSB and Digital so I can't speak to the CW performance of the rig.  I do notice that on an A/B comparison with either my Kenwood TS2000(X) or my Yaesu FT-100D the Alinco has significantly more hiss in the audio.  I also miss the IF DSP of my Kenwood and the AF DSP of the Yaesu.
K1TWH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:48:48 PM »

Ernie,
     I've owned both the DX-70T and the DX-77T over the years.   I'd use another DX-70T without reserve.   It was 90% good.   I'd dock it points for a poor Noise Blanker, and perhaps the lack of a data connector (other than the Mic connector).   The unit had good Tx audio, very good selectivity, and a nice compromise of filtering (tunes in 25Hz increments).   The FM filter was used  for AM, so 10M and 6M FM were good, but shortwave listening was too broad except for signals without adjacent channels being in use.  The CW filtering was the inexpensive Murata CFJ455K8 which is somewhere between 1.0 and 1.5KHz wide.  This was followed by a 500Hz analog AF filter.   It sounds like a 600Hz IF filter.  This same filter is available for SSB narrow or PSK/digital.   All in all it would be hard to offer more for less (unless someone actually markets an IF DSP radio for what it really costs instead of telling us how much better it is).  The DX-70T is also quit stable considering it has separate carrier oscillators and reference oscillator.
      The DX-77T was OK.   Tunes in 10Hz increments.  It needed mods.  The AGC distorted SSB reception, and a 1uF ceramic cap was needed across the AGC line to ground to fix it.   The radio's Rx audio squawked when transmitting SSB, so there is another mod to quiet that down.   The CW and SSB crystal filters are a treat, and if it weren't for an AM component feeding through the SSB audio (down about 30dB) it would be real close to ideal.   The noise blanker was not good in this unit either.
       The DX-SR8 seems like a DX-77T size radio with the features of the DX-70T , but no 6 meters.  I've never used one. At its current price, I'm sure its OK, but after reading about the DDS oscillator responding to the units fan while in transmit, I'd be back to the DX-70T.   It may represent Alinco's HF high-water mark to date.
        73,   Tom Howey  WB1FPA
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »

The QST reviews of the Alinco radios might answer your questions.

Alinco: Why?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:38:52 AM by WX7G » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: