Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AF4K Crystals  (Read 10471 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »

It's time that you learned about these things............

Yes, indeed. It is important that Shep's brilliance and legacy not be lost. His stuff sounds like it was written last week, not a half-century ago.

His radio show was all you wrote and more. Consider the real impact of just the "I, Libertine" thing: he showed that the best-*seller* list was not based on sales at all, because who could sell a book that did not exist? Talk about showing that the emperor wore no clothes!

"Olly Hopnoodle's Haven Of Bliss" should be up there with "Christmas Story" but is less well known.

btw, those radio shows were essentially unscripted. He might have a few notes or some ideas, but that was about it. The rest was pure Shep.

He used the name "Parker" (his middle name) on the ham bands. Didn't want to trade on his fame there.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »

The biggest issue for me with the KX-1 ( I have played with them before, nice radio's) is the price. Even at hamfest's, $200 was the lowest I ever saw one for.

Agreed, they're not cheap. But compared to $355 for an unbuilt HW-8....

What I want to see is how much the KX-3 goes for. Particularly with its amplifier. One rig for all purposes....

How'd you power a Southgate 7 in the field?

Generator. 2 kW Coleman. Would run about 2-3 hours on a tank of gas. See QST for June, 1994, page 55.

I took my own rigs on FD several times, but in recent years I've just gone with the local clubs because they need CW ops and I had too much else going on in June.

The last time I did a solo effort far from home was 1995. Packed up the Type 7, generator, tent, table, antennas, 42 foot wooden mast, guys, generator shelter, tools, cables, food, clothes,  and much more into a VW Diesel Rabbit and drove 73 miles to The Farm in NNJ. Took out the back seat and the passenger seat to fit it all in and save weight. The Rabbit could only carry 832 pounds including me. I did not overload it.

Set up and operated all by myself in the rain on Friday afternoon, worked the whole contest, (it rained all the time, but no lightning!) took down and drove home Sunday afternoon. Pre-made sandwiches, sodas and hot coffee at night kept me going. No computer, no memory keyer, 100 watts on 80/40/20 CW and 10 watts on 2 meters. Bug, pencil & paper log/dupe sheets. Could change bands and retune in under 30 seconds. Inverted V for 80/40 with center at 42 feet, 1/4 wave vertical with elevated radials for 20, magmount for 2. The Farm is atop a hill near Oldwick, NJ, good preview in all directions and quiet. Ran out of gas 15 minutes after the end of FD. (The Rabbit was diesel so couldn't siphon from it).

Worked 2 simplex FM during refuelings to get the VHF bonus (which they don't have any more). ARRL bulletin, message to SM bonuses.

629 CW and 11 2meter FM QSOs. 2980 points. Class 1B-1

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »

That really is a good looking radio, if a person appreciates the 60's era of Jetson's space-race styling. Many years ago I picked up one of these on the cheap: http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/lafayette/comstat_25b/index.htm

Unfortunately it had been badly neglected and I didn't have the bottomless stash of junque parts that I do today. That was well before freebie squidmatics on the internet so I kept it for a few years and threw it away. Today I wish I hadn't, but at the time there was no way I was going to spend any serious coin on a radio that would never be a point of pride. Too beat and too ugly to invest in.

I have a parts unit! Do you want it? It is in decent shape. I think it is only missing a can.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »

I have a parts unit! Do you want it? It is in decent shape. I think it is only missing a can.

I appreciate the offer but it would be wasted on me. I have a houseful of 'someday' projects as it is and playing CB hasn't been on my to-do list in a long time.........  Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »

I appreciate the offer but it would be wasted on me. I have a houseful of 'someday' projects as it is and playing CB hasn't been on my to-do list in a long time....

I have no plans for it. I do have a 25A that I am going to restore and sell to a collector. The nice thing about tube CBs is that they are likely unmodded. Unlike those PLL CB hacks, I see all the time.
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »

I found those two Shep video's you told me about, i'll check them out tommorow.

When I saw the KX-3 ads, I was speechless. And with a matching amp? Looks like a great rig! looks like the 857 will have some competition.

I've been to field day before but never on my own. Maybe 2012 I'll get out there.

One of our members had it made. 1990 something pickup (huge amounts of space), he had everything in this truck. Plywood planks held up radios in the driver, passenger, and rear positions. cables, mics, connectors everywhere. At least 10 smaller radios. Huge Yaesu HF rig in the back, Ameritron amp, and God knows what else. A 10 kW Generator in the bed, hell he even had a window mount AC unit in the back! I wonder what his wife thought?

As you said, Anything worth doing is always worth overdoing!

-Alex
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »

You Guys were right, I liked the broadcast! The part about learning CW was interesting.

AC5UP, I  thought the post about the castile soap was funny. Yes, A broadcaster with enough talent can have a lot of effect on his/her listeners. When a leading talkshow host was fired from a local FM station a few months ago, ten's of thousands were in uproar! I checked the ratings weeks later and they were way down!

-Alex
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: