Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Tower-poor customer service  (Read 2213 times)
WV4L

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »

This review is not about the product. That will come later once I get my tower up.
This is about the shipping of the tower and the poor communication and customer service of US Tower.

When the company contacted me that my tower was ready to ship I told them to email me in advance so that I could choreograph what would be needed for the off load of this over 1100 lb tower from the shipper.

Initially I got an email saying it was coming on a Monday. I replied that If possible, could I get a Saturday delivery? The only reply I got was that the driver had backed out and they would reschedule and check on doing a Saturday delivery(email of 9/21/11). Again I indicated that I needed prior notification ( at least 72 hrs) so that I could set things up for the off load.  No reply from the company.

On 9/28/11 I get a call from the driver en-route that he will be at delivery point the morning of 9/29/11!  Of course the driver is caught in the middle of my angst, anger and surprise over this notification. I do not blame the driver for any of this. He was just the delivery person and a great guy as well. He really was sympathetic to how the company had dealt with me.

Calls directly to the company give me the run around. The person handling this  "was not at their desk right now" or "Then out to lunch". It was not until I requested to speak to a higher up that they returned my call. Claimed no knowledge of my request for prior notification and then indicated that a Saturday delivery cost extra. Something I was never informed of.

Fortunately I was able to round up some help and a front end loader on short notice and take care of the off load loosing a day of work in the process!

After a rant with the company rep and some more run around on not having been informed about the extra for Saturday delivery and not being given enough prior notice the rep agreed to give me a refund on some of the shipping which was over $1600.00.

My refund............ which I was finally notified of today, 10/7/11, after four phone calls (that were never replied to) and two emails, $100.00.

I just hope the tower goes up well and provides me with better service than what I had to experience with it getting to my QTH.

My tower base pier is still in the stages of curing so it will be awhile before I get it on the air.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:51:39 AM by WV4L » Logged
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I did not run into this issue when I received my tower from U.S. Tower last year.  In my case, the truck driver contacted me on the day he picked up the tower and provided an estimate of delivery four days before he arrived.  I don't know U.S. Tower's policy for delivery notice, whether the responsibility is theirs or the truck driver who contracted to handle delivery.  However, the person who handled my purchase from U.S. Tower, indicated that it is the delivery person or company that handles all aspects of delivery including notification of delivery date.

WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »

I bought a used U.S. Tower. In shopping for a trucking company to pick up and deliver my tower, I contacted U.S. Tower, who put me in touch with Land something-or-other (I can't remember the name of the trucking company). I ran into multiple problems once I contracted with them for delivery of the tower. Uncertain delivery date, uncertain delivery time, calls not returned, promises that were not kept, etc. etc.

It's common knowledge that trucking companies don't normally deliver on Saturday, but for an extra charge, anything is possible.

I'm guessing the fault isn't with U.S. Tower, but with the trucking company they use.

73, -WY3X
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »

Once any shipment is in the hands of the carrier, any problems need to be discussed with the carrier and not the shipper. This is true in virtually every case.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K5CWC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »

The run-around is the fault of Texas Tower.  They should have provided a direct answer on the first go 'round.  A ship date and instructions on who to contact.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: