Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DO NOT SALE TO K4TFY BYRON SICKMAN  (Read 6699 times)
WB6VYH

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »

Byron Sickman  K4TFY
I sold this guy my 2KL amp and he hooked it up wrong and fried it, he even sent me an email telling me about it. He somehow got Paypal to send him his money and now he has the money and the Amp, power supply and a AT-500.

Not bad for a Tech class that should not even have an amp this size and no I did not know he was a Tech class--

This guy is bad news to the hobby and I'm out $1300.00 and a good working amp
WB6VYH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »

Just found out how he did it. He told his bank that it was an unauthorized charge and Paypal did a bank reversal. This is the lowest of kind of guy. He buys something and then says that he did not, this is theft. What else could you call it. He will be out there buying more so look out for him--
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »

Byron Sickman  K4TFY
 no I did not know he was a Tech class--

This guy is bad news to the hobby and I'm out $1300.00 and a good working amp

You should have known he was a Tech, he is listed on QRZ.com. When I sell anything I research the buyer, not only on QRZ.com but everywhere on the internet. Google is a helpful friend. If I find anything that shows poor character, I email the guy and say no thanks.

On expensive stuff like an amp I usually require a phone call. You can tell a lot by speaking to someone on the phone. I never use Paypal. Only Bank checks on expensive stuff and only shipped after I am positive I have the money...

All this ain't gonna help you now, certainly I would not let him get away with it. Posting it here is only a start to make his life miserable.

This assumes what you said is true. There are always 2 sides to a story. A buyer sees things differently than a seller.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »

Google is a helpful friend.

"Byron D Sickman is associated with Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #69, Inc. and holds several roles such as Vice President and Director."

"71 years old"

This link is interesting, Bryron Sickman is in an Ann Rule crime story and he is a Vero Beach FL Trooper.    http://books.google.com/books?id=_skvHuaj9TwC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=Byron+Sickman+fl&source=bl&ots=QxvCoT5yzj&sig=_UxQNcAqZFby6iM3GeICXkiBXnk&hl=en&ei=UvyVTvGTF822twfV_szyBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCUQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have found other links describing him as a FL Trooper.

I found much more but you can use Google and do your own snooping..

Stan K9IUQ
WB6VYH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:21:26 PM »

He sure looks good on the internet. I did check all except what he was allowed to run as far a power. Yes I googled him too, before I sent it.

If the unit did not work do you think that I would send it to a cop?

Bottom line, he filed a report that the transaction was not authorized. He is keeping the equipment. Now I'm out the money, equipment and I have a mark on my credit card, bank account for a unauthorized transaction, a bad credit score and the DA would like to talk to me.

No I will not be letting him get away with it.

Bob WB6VYH
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »

So why not fight it out with Paypal? You said you had emails where he said he had received it. Us those to prove to Paypal that the transaction is legit.

Bernie
W4HLN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »

Cops = Crap...anywhere ya go...We got more cops here in Ky on drugs than anyone else!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »

You implied that you have a communication from him that says he received the amp--and then HE fried it.  I would go and see a lawyer, first and foremost.  What you have is a case of fraud when he said the charge was unbauthorized--so go after him for the money AND damages.

Go see a lawyer--YESTERDAY!
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »

So why not fight it out with Paypal? You said you had emails where he said he had received it. Us those to prove to Paypal that the transaction is legit.

Bernie

That won't mean much.  The way Pay Scam works, if someone receives your items via UPS, FED EX, etc and you can even show delivery, Pay Pal still won't give you money back if someone does a charge back.  There IS NOT PROTECTION for a seller via Pay Pal unless you are a high volume seller on EScam.

I do Pay Pal transactions rarely only to cover myself if the guy tries to steal the item but if they do a charge back, about all you can do is contact the local law enforcement, radio clubs in the are, or try a lawyer..you are pretty much on your own.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »

That may be true, but you still have to try. The OP has not indicated he has tried to pursue this with Pay Pal in any way. Just because it may have not worked for someone else in the past is not a reason to lay down and be wiped.

Bernie
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »

make the due-diligence call to PayPal, start filing a police report in the meantime.

the sheer fact he had it flagged as an "unauthorized transaction" means he's breaking the law. Its theft by deception...no two ways around it.  Pretty crystal clear actually.

I hope to god you have every shred of evidence where he's willingly and knowingly buying the amp, because thats how you'll prove that he authorized the transaction.

WX4O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »

I had this same problem with an Oklahoma ham a few months ago, but fortunately for me, it was
only a $35.00 sale.
W6SDM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »

If this guy really is a cop, call the police chief in the jurisdiction where he works.  You might mention sending the story to a local TV station when you talk to him.

Typically, Chiefs of Police or Directors of Public Safety want to keep their organization clean.  If they have a guy willing to steal from someone online, he is a threat to the department and to the public.  Plus, all it takes is to have his veracity challenged in court and there's no telling what kind of guilty defendant may walk because of it.

You won't have to get a lawyer to do that.

WB6VYH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:25:56 AM »

As it stands right now paypal is not going to do anything. They did tell that it was odd that the bank never asked me if I got the equipment back and they might just check into to it if I don't get my money or equipment back from this guy.
He did send the Amp into the Icom rep. and was told that the amp is just fine and puts out full power.
As far as telling the police chief, he said TFB, I think that you can decode that, right.
Like I said before and I told paypal that I was going to post this, If you don't mind losing your money and your stuff, use paypal.
If the buyer does what they call a bank chargeback--- ebay--paypal will not do nothing for you. If you have sold your stuff on ebay you might get some of your back, maybe.
If you sold your stuff on from some other site like eham or qrz, forget it.
Yes you can take them to court--call and check the price of it all first. Here is a thought, cash and carry. Have the buyer put the money in a box and get  insurance. Your both cover.
WB6VYH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 12:42:40 AM »

Oh yes, one more thing, it is not over till I get my money or equipment-----

Bottom line, I will not use paypal to recieve funds anymore, not until they change. If you do the same they will come around------------
Bob
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: