Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sending 0  (Read 549 times)
W4KRH

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2004, 12:15:10 AM »

Question for you all - Seems I have either heard or read - where when sending a 0 (zero) - a person of course does "dah dah dah dah dah" - OR - they can do "dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh"  (long dah).....

Is this true? If so - is it an acceptable practice? I am trying to form good habits - being a cw newby.

LOL - I ask myself this when I am sending "my rig is yaesu ft1000" ... Im thinking "geez - I wonder if this long dah stuff is true for zeros..."

thanks in advance,

73 de Ken
KC8VCB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 02:31:27 AM »

howdy ken,

well you can either sennd dahdahdahdahdah or dahhhhh (acually a long t). its personal preferance mainly. but, when you work someone who is a newby i would cut my losses and send the standard zero. hi. plus the long t help in contesting sometimes.

so gl es gud dx de sam/kc8vcb

p.s. cw forever fists nr 10146
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 08:07:05 AM »

----- is 0 in International Morse.
 __________________ is 0 in American Morse.

The standard in wireless comms is International Morse.

Steve
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 12:01:03 PM »

Sometimes experienced operators, when talking to other experienced operators and when there is no chance of ambiguity, will use "cut" or abbreviated numbers.  The zero is simply sent as a "dah".  Nine is sent as "dah-dit".  There are abbreviations for the others but they are not as common.  The typical place that you may see these is in contesting.  Signal reports are sent as 5NN for example.

Don't use them where there is a chance for misunderstanding or with new operators.
W4KRH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 02:51:03 PM »

Thanks all for the feedback. I will probably avoid the odd variations until I get alot more experience, and am able to know if the other op(s) that I might be working are ok with the occasional short hand.

thanks again - hope to work you all out there.

73 de ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: