Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: meta issue: "Deep Impact" thread locked  (Read 14548 times)
WB6RQN

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »

So how did the "Deep Impact" thread get locked? I didn't think that there was any sort of censorship here.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:38:57 AM »

There were some Flex Radio related threads removed also such as the one about the unintended transmit problem.  I am guessing they got too many complaints from the pro-Flex side.

Gene
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:09:55 AM »

Actually Eham's extraordinarily liberal rules state in several places that freedom of expression here isn't unlimited. Would anyone expect otherwise?
"eHam.net, however, reserves the right to summarily, without warning or notice, delete any posts we deem inappropriate."

BTW, I'm active in several wildly successful for-profit, non-hobby groups where discussion of post and thread removal is banned, or is relegated to specific forums similar to Eham's Site Talk.

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:41 AM »

I keep watching the banner ads on eham to see if Flex is now an advertiser.  If so, that would explain the censorship.

Gene
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »

Huh. Interesting. I thought that maybe Stan had locked it. Perhaps eHam figured that everyone had made their point and that the dead horse had been mutilated enough.

G4PNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »

The dead horse being Flex Radio!

David - G4PNX
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »

I have moved this thread (with redirection from the SDR forum) because this is the proper place to ask this question.

I locked the "Deep Impact" thread.
I did this because the thread had devolved into mostly a name calling exchange.

George
K5TR
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »

There were some Flex Radio related threads removed also such as the one about the unintended transmit problem.  I am guessing they got too many complaints from the pro-Flex side.

Those threads were moved to a holding forum that I have - because I did get quite a few reports and when I looked at them it appeared that they were turning into another name calling contest.  I need to go look at them - I was out and was reviewing them on my phone.  Instead of trying to view them on that device I just moved them so I could look at them later. I forgot.  I will go do that now, and likely move them back into the forum.

George
K5TR
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »

I asked the question and it was answered. It does appear to be devolving into name calling again.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:24 PM »

All too often, this site would be a much better place if some of the commenters would just grow up.  Sometimes anyone can get a little heated and make a comment that borders on name calling, but some of the users here have sometimes taken it to a level much lower than that.  Too bad, but it happens, and I think that the moderators have every reason--and right--to stop it in its tracks.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »

I agree, the moderators should moderate those that take it too far with the name calling. Eham moderators however deleted or locked the whole threads. IMO this punishes everyone, not just the name callers. It also makes posters reluctant to participate in the future...

Yes, it may be taken as punishing everyone, but for the fact that most of the time, by the time the thread in question is locked, it has devolved into an insult session between members acting like spoiled children and has little or no worthwhile information being given in it anymore.

I've often thought that there should be some sort of sanctioning against people who come to this site simply to argue, but the moderators here shy away from doing that except in extreme cases.  Even then, the moderation is little more than just an e-mail warning to the errant member to mind their manners.

Then again, some posters ought to be more reluctant to participate in the future--but seldom are.  Those people think that they have a God given right to insult and belittle anyone who disagrees with them!
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »

I've often thought that there should be some sort of sanctioning against people who come to this site simply to argue

Fact vs opinion vs argument vs "axe to grind" vs  waking up on on the wrong side of the bed"  threads exist all over here (and everywhere else) whether in a G5RV thread, or a 110 vs 220 power for an amp or what radio to buy or which is the "best" microphone to use.

Whether or not someone is here "simply to argue" is pretty "easy" to figure out by their posting history and how they made their first eham posting appearance here.

On the other hand just because someone is here "simply to argue" doesn't automatically make their argument invalid.
There are a lot of threads I 'd like to have seen locked, just based on technical merit or lack thereof.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »

Unfortunately, this site and the SDR forum  especially has some "cowardly children" that frequent it. Their M. O. is to insult and push people till they react and get drawn down to their level. Then once they inevitably get a rise out of someone and that person reciprocates the attacks, they claim innocence and play the victim.
 I know because unfortunately, I've allowed myself to get drawn in by these immature people.  " You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas"
I welcome the moderators increased presence in the SDR forum. Maybe now we can actually have intelligent discussion about  SDR  and the huge promise that it offers the hobby rather than endure the incessant bashing of one manufacturer carried on by two or three individuals who have an obvious vendetta.
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:30:52 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »

W4HIJ is one of the WORST offenders.

Gene
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 04:56:01 AM »

W4HIJ is one of the WORST offenders.

Gene
As I said, these people push  and push till someone responds and then THEY play the poor innocent victim.  The responses you see are typical.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: