Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do some OP's send VVVVV between passages?  (Read 1683 times)
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 10:39:50 AM »

Someone mentioned SN, aka VE.  That's really an exclamation point(!). Coast Guard sometimes used it to preannounce emergency bulletins, a kind of reverse SOS: "You will be in distress if you don't know this."  

Steve
W4TYU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 10:22:17 AM »

A little late reply but I call it "dithering" where the fingers are faster than the mind.
Ole man JEAN
KI4CRN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »

Hello,

I am learning CW as well.  I am using the Code-Quick course.  The software with the course generates sample QSOs for me to copy.  All the sample QSOs start with "vvv vvv".  I did not understand the meaning either, but apparently it is an old Ham thing.

Mike
W4KTX (formerly KI4CRN)
KJ7XJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 05:15:00 PM »

This is interesting... UK hams arguing with each other, and on the CW forum no less.
Cheers! DE KJ7XJ
M3GKA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2003, 04:49:33 AM »

Sending vvv vvv before starting a QSO is the ham equivalent of an athlete warming up before an event. It just gets you into the rhythym.
G0MZS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2003, 08:08:53 AM »

M3GKA Can you tell us all your history with CW. ie: When did you pass. Its is strange that a "CW-less" licence holder should enter a debate on CW?Huh
I also have read posts from the M1 who started this post, claiming he has his cw test passed and that he applyed for his Class a licence too late and that is why he has the M1 call and not the M0, then claimed he has "Fluked" the morse asessment!
If you had passed your cw even after the UK dropped morse you would have a M0 call. You passed the RAE applied for the Class B licence then when morse was dropped you could not apply for a M0 call sogn but had to keep your M1 call. If you apply for your licence now you would have been given a M0 call. Maybe the Americans do not know how our licence and call sign allocation structure works, I do. M1 KTA I would like to see your reply to the last few posts in the cw is crap thread. You was uncovered in that thread as well.

STOP PRETENDING
KI4CRN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2003, 09:02:50 AM »

I got your reply in my email, and I am not following it.  My post clearly states that I am learning CW, and did not know what the "vvv" meant.  I have never posted in the "CW is crap" forum, I like CW.  I am not pretending.  The next testing session in my area is Feb 5th, and I plan on passing the CW Test.  Then I can move from Technician class to General class.  Please clarify what you are trying to say to me.
M1KTA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2003, 11:11:13 AM »

Hi G0MZS,

Well I sat the RAE at RSGB HQ earlier this year, ask Sylvia there if you know her she arranged it for me, and Pete Pennington taught me. This was the penultimate time the C&G RAE ran and shortly afterwards obtained the M1 call before the morse requirement went.

I also sat the 5WPM morse test in June and passed it but when I got around to requesting the licence the RCA (Ofcom as now) they said as I had a class B call and it held the same privileges as an old A call I could not obtain the M0 call... if you know different care to advise who I should apply to as it seemed a little crazy but they are/were not issuing M0 and M1 calls after the morse requirement went just M0 calls apparently?

What ever the class of licence it is still a valid question why do some OPS send vvvv? I'm not sure I agree with M3GKA's comment.

72/3

Dom
M1KTA

GU7UJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2003, 02:55:41 PM »

So why are you the only amateur to pass a morse test and not know that it had your photo attached to it?
And why pass the morse in June then when the RAE pass came through wait so long to apply for the M0 licence. I do not contest that fact you have passed the RAE but you have not passed the morse test. You even said you passed the morse assement and not the 5wpm in one of your posts. When asked about the photo on your ticket you clamed validation documents did not have a photo on but as we was talking about your morse "ticket" you would have know right away what was asked because everyone who has passed morse in the UK in the past few years have a photo on there morse pass document.

G0MZS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2003, 03:07:26 PM »

I also do not doubt you have passed the RAE. I also would be interested in seeing your morse pass document. I do know that the RSGB stopped doing morse weekends and testing well before June of this year.

I agree with the last poster, but not his call sign, you could finish the topic with a scan of the document and an editing out of personal info. Easy done. Lets see shall we.

Til then I will go tap around 40 without having to have fellow tappers slow down for me..........ouch!
M1KTA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2003, 06:50:36 AM »

I would be easy to scan the doc as that would obviously clear this up but was not returned with the licence application just my RAE cert. I was informed as B class is same as A class you cannot change to a M0 call from an M1 call since the WRC change, and there was no longer any morse requirement, there is another guy in the club that is in the same situation.

I was asked for photo id (passport and driving licence I used) at all the earlier foundation course, exam and the morse assessment, for the C&G RAE exam and the morse test same checks (this was the 5wpm test and not the older 12wpm test) but no photo was added to the cert before sending it off with the RA188 form from RCA as then (now Ofcom) to the radio licencing people in Bristol.

It really doesn't make any difference except in discussions like this I guess. You'll say I don't have it I know I do... ho hum. There doesn't appear to be any real advantage over a call sign starting M1 as opposed to M0 for cw either :-)

72/3

Dom
M1KTA
M3GKA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2003, 06:34:57 AM »

G0MZS:

My history with CW is that I passed the MRGC in 1975. I then went on to work for BP Tanker, Sea Containers, Fyffes and P&O Steam Navigation for 10 years as a Radio Officer.

CW paid my mortgage for 10 years.

Happy now?

-.-.- IS the pro signal for the start of a telegram in the marine commercial service and many professional operators DO use 'vvv' or 'VN' to limber up with.
G0MZS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2003, 11:19:32 AM »

M3GKA
Shame you did not assert yourself in learning and then passing the RAE.

I think the record for the youngest M3 is 7 years old at the moment. My child passed when she was 9 years old. Is that not the point in the foundation licence? ie: Make it easy to introduce the young to the hobby?

Oh well guess we wont be speaking on 10m at anytime.

I anyway I have had my lot and will not spend more time on people who cant bother learning.

M3GKA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2003, 04:39:25 PM »

>Shame you did not assert yourself in learning and >then passing the RAE.

When you spend 90% of your life on a ship away from the UK it can be rather difficult.

>I think the record for the youngest M3 is 7 years old >at the moment. My child passed when she was 9 years >old. Is that not the point in the foundation licence? >ie: Make it easy to introduce the young to the hobby?

No, it makes it easy for newcomers to get into the hobby. I hadn't touched a radio for 20 years when I became interested again this year.

>Oh well guess we wont be speaking on 10m at anytime.

If you mean because of band limitations that's probably not correct as I took (and I think passed) the last RAE on the 1st December.

>I anyway I have had my lot and will not spend more >time on people who cant bother learning.

I became interested in August of this year and expect to hear of my RAE pass in the middle of January. How's that for 'not learning'?

I do realise that that's just the beginning but I've met a lot of decent people so far who've been immensely helpful so your lack of generosity is of no real concern to me.
M3GKA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2004, 12:15:02 PM »

Just to finish the story, I passed the final RAE in December and will shortly be getting an M0 callsign. Be advised that I will NOT be relinquishing my M3 callsign if only to piss off whiners like G0MZS.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: