Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 Keys to Bring More Youth--and People in General--to Amateur Radio  (Read 69302 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »

I've wondered, with all the complaining people do about how the mass media is so horrible, why they don't listen to more shortwave broadcasts? If shortwave was to make a comeback, an uptick in the popularity of ham radio would very quickly follow.
   The vast majority of shortwave radios do not have the ability to receive SSB.  That was fine back in the day when most HF hams were on AM, but not today.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »

<quote>
I've wondered, with all the complaining people do about how the mass media is so horrible, why they don't listen to more shortwave broadcasts?
</quote>

I think a lot of the popular SW broadcasters have stopped broadcasting in the last 10 years or so.  Didn't the BBC just stop recently?
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

One point occurs--all of this discussion and idea swapping is really about what amounts to be a non-issue.  The ham ranks are growing.  They've topped 700,000 in the US now, and it stands to reason that all of those newbies are NOT middle aged men with beer guts!

I'm confident that they're not all beer guts.  I'm just making the point of image.  Go to a hamfest, radio club, VE testing session, etc.... places where new hams are likely to go or have to go.   That's what I've seen in my major metro area.   I don't exactly qualify for youth, but I did when I got my novice in 1990ish and it was that way then too.   Like I said, I agree with the post someone made that it takes a special kind of kid.   I guess I was one of those.   Amateur radio doesn't, and in my opinion won't, appeal to the mass youth consumer/hobby market.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »

I can guarantee you my gut is not a beer gut..... Grin
AC7WH

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 03:00:36 AM »

In a number of previous posts a lot was said about the needed infrastructure in order to implement my ideas. However, it occurred to me that other MAJOR systems have been developed, implemented, and expanded for similar ham radio purposes. I am specifically thinking of APRS, IRLP, EchoLink, and the WIN System. Add to that the current and future capabilities of D-STAR and, in my opinion, this greatly reinforces the plausibility of my original suggestions.

~ AC7WH
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 07:37:16 AM »

OP seems to think that the key to ham radio survivial is to make it just like cell phones and WiFi.

If that became true, why would anybody go through the effort of getting licensed, when Cellphones and Wifi require no license?

- k
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

OP seems to think that the key to ham radio survivial is to make it just like cell phones and WiFi.

If that became true, why would anybody go through the effort of getting licensed, when Cellphones and Wifi require no license?

- k

EXACTLY!

Amateur radio cannot survive by trying to compete with commercial services that have far more resources and require far less of the user. Didn't work in the past and won't work now.

Amateur radio will survive by offering things the other services don't. By being different and unique.

btw, the number of US hams has grown by more than 50,000 in the past 5 years.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KD2AJN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »

The way to interest people of all ages is to find those few who are interested in radio for its own sake.

I definitely agree with this. I like radio because it ISN'T a cell phone. 
JEDIMANN74

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »

The way to interest people of all ages is to find those few who are interested in radio for its own sake.

I definitely agree with this. I like radio because it ISN'T a cell phone. 

I'm a newb myself to HAM radio as of this week actually and I have an iPhone.  The thing is, if you make HAM radios as modern as the original poster is stating with things like texting and we browsing and other modern dohingys you are basically turning HAM radio into just another Smart Device.  The reason I wanted to get into HAM was because I had a background in communications repair in the USMC.  I also like the mystique about HAM and how well it works even though its an older technology.  I think to get kids involved you need to bring back the mystique of Amateur Radio.  How many things out there are still as functional as a HAM radio and that have been used for over half a century and will continue on.  I want to get my daughters who are 14 and 12 involved but right now they think I'm a geek which is partially true as I am quite a bit gamer on my computer and did the Dungeons and Dragons thing but I think if I show them how kewl it is for the simple fact that its been around for so long and has quite an awesome history to it and how functional and practical it still is they will become interested.  Even my wife asked why I wanted to do this, what was my reasoning.  I related it to the old and lost times of Pen Pals and when people actually had to have face to face or voice to voice conversations.  I said that meeting new people was fun to do and with a similar interest there really isn't a downside to making friends via HAM.  Anyways, its late and I've gone on a ramble like I do when I am tired.  Sorry to reopen an old thread but I found it interesting and I hope my 2c made sense...

KD2SJM
Scott M
Semper Fi
N0XFE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »

Great ideas by the original and followup posts.
It never has been and never will be the we cant's
that will move the hobby foreward.  Technology has moved faster
then some of our mindsets allow.  Dits and dahs are still the oz that we
revel and regal.  Let's communicate with Sats, the space station and
dats just for starters the moon and mars are yet to be ours for tomorrow.  Wireless
is tireless come one and all.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »

Amateur radio will survive ONLY IF it needs the needs of those it wants to attract.

N9LCD
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »

Did you mean "meets the needs..."
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: