Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny CW Net tricks...or what I did this weekend  (Read 382 times)
K9DI

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2004, 06:35:32 AM »

Hello folks,
     Wayne K9DI es Leader Dog Patriot here (Before the question arises, Yes, I am visually impaired and work with a service animal).
      The reason I am posting is to share  a bit of humor with ops that would appreciate it ( I Hope)...Smiley
     I am a (somewhat) regular checkin with the Illinois Training Net, a slow speed NTS training net, and am working torwards traffic handling proficiency, although, my progress is in small baby sized steps as evidenced by what happened this weekend:
      Let me preface this story by saying that sometimes due to QRM/QRN ITN has to shift frequency, and that I usually just tune up or down 3 klicks  until I hear the preamble and oft-times I don't quite catch the call of the NCS.  Either because I'm late or the stone filter between my ears is back in place...Smiley  My cpy skillz are still very weak, and I work on improving them everyday.
I was running a bit behind on Friday evening (Saturday morning in UTC) when I tuned up Ol' Betsy my trusty TS520 and tune in what I thought was the ITN somewhere close to 3680.  I am able to QNI es QNX no problem.  
running late again Saturday night (Sunday Morning UTC) I tune up and go through the QNI/QNX routine again no problem.  Then I called Woody WD9F the NCS for ITN on Saturday and Sunday evenings and the first thing he asks me is "Where were you Wayne?"  "I checked in and out no problem Woody." was my reply.  "Not on ITN", Woody came back.  At this point my mind starts racing "WHO did I QNI with tonight???"  Woody asked me where I was when I checked into that net and taking a quick look at Ol' Betsy in low light I thought the dial was at 3685....
     After I cleared off the landline with Woody I checked my email and there was an email from Cark W4EAT thanking me for checking into CSN the last two nights although they were a bit confused about what name I used when checking in.  Mystery solved.  Well, my curiosity woke up and I looked up Carl on the web and gave him a call on the landline.  We had a nice chat the upshot of which is, upon closer inspection of Ol' Betsy in brighter light I discovered the dial was on 3695  ten klicks from where II had thought I was.
      Boy, was my face RED!!!!
      This silly episode showed me at least 3 things...
1.)  Pay closer attention to where the dial on the rig is.
2.)  The elmering that Bob W1ZZL and the rest of the regular ops on ITN had stuck and I was able to QNI and QNX with a complete stranger of an NCS and still aquit myself honourably.
3.)  I need to REALLY, REALLY buckle down and work on my copy speed so I can obliterate the stone filter between my ear...
     I hope to increase my code proficiency so that I'm able to run with the BIG DAWGS on Field Day 2004!!
            I dedicate this story to  all of the Bobs, Woody and the ITN gang  with deepest thanks and best regards  for putting up with me, but most especially Bob W1ZZL.
P.S.  
      Does anyone else want to share some of their "BONEHEAD" moments with the rest of us?
de
Wayne K9DI
k9di at k9di dot org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: