Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Bill N2VZ (another one)  (Read 6976 times)
K5CWC

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »

No response to calls and emails.   $268 went to his company from my credit card account 5 weeks ago.
Anyone heard anything about him?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:57 AM »

I received a return e-mail from Bill a few weeks ago, after I had ask him if he was still in business. He said in the e-mail that he had some health problems, which confirmed my suspicions. He also said he was now selling product through HRO and AES, and this was keeping him busy.

I wrote him another e-mail Saturday, as a result of e-mails I have been receiving. Most stated that monies had been collected, and product not shipped. Others spoke of returned-for-repair units, not fixed or returned. One even chastised me for "advertising" the Turbo Tuner on my web site!

I have nothing to do with Turbo Tuner, albeit listed on my web site. I sympathize with those who are having problems with Bill, and his company. My only suggestion is to keep the fires burning in hopes they'll eventually have a positive effect.

K5CWC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »

Thanks for the info, Alan.   It's a shame one with such an excellent product, which essentially corners the market, would allow his reputation to be ruined for want of a simple email of phone call.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »

I'm not so sure it corners the market, as the BetterRF unit, and those from MFJ are fairly popular too. Let's hope Bill gets hiss act together.

W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »

>>> " after I had ask him if he was still in business. He said in the e-mail that he had some health problems " <<<

As far back as 2007/ 2008 I can remember Bill has been having "HEALTH" issues.

I can vouch for the after sale service that I've received from 'Better RF, VERY GOOD Service.

(((73))) Milverton.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 05:19:15 AM »

Get in touch with your credit card company and explain the situation, and ask them to reverse the charge.  Then file a report with the local police. asking them to forward it to his local law enforcement agency.  Keep on making noise, and eventually you'll get either a refund or the product.

If more people would just check out the small companies on the internet beforehand, there would be less of those companies around.  And no, I'm not trying to criticise you.  All too many of us do the same thing you did.  73!
K5CWC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »

Update to the problem with N2VZ Bill Kantz.

It is now 45 days since Mr. Kantz took $268.00 from my Mastercard account.   In spite of repeated attempts there has been no word from him.  The latest was a Certified Return Receipt letter signed for by Mr. Kantz on November 26.   It is clear Mr. Kantz has no intention of honoring our agreement or returning my money.

Mr. Kantz is, however, busy making tuners for sale through at least 2 commercial outlets, HRO and AES.  For this reason I find the rumors of Mr. Kantz’ health problems suspect.

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Martin County, Florida Sheriff’s department.    I’m also working with the credit card company.

If any else has had such problems I would appreciate hearing from you.   The call is mine and I can be reached through the ARRL forwarding.   Perhaps with enough complaints we can get something done.

I am happy not everyone has had a bad experience with N2VZ and by all accounts his product is excellent.   That doesn’t change the fact that there is no excuse for this instance.  I would have gladly accepted a refund or worked with Mr. Kantz in any way I could.   In my view, this is theft plain and simple.

Carl (K5CWC)
K5CWC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:42:47 AM »

If more people would just check out the small companies on the internet beforehand, there would be less of those companies around.  And no, I'm not trying to criticise you.  All too many of us do the same thing you did.  73!

Actually, I did a fair bit of research.   By almost all accounts the Turbo Tuner is an excellent product and very popular.   Aside from a very few comments about difficulty contacting Mr. Kantz which seemed to have been resolved, most were quite positive.   He is even referenced on Allan's (K0BG) excellent web site. (See his comments above)  As far as I could tell, the man was honorable and had a good product.   Live and learn...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 06:30:42 AM »

Yes, but even if his product has an excellent reputation, the point is dealing with him or his business PERSONALLY instead of through a third party.  There is no excuse for his failures to communicate with or to supply his personal customers. 

The failure to communicate is inexcusable.  His 'excuse' may be he is backed up badly on orders from his distributors, but that is NOT a valid excuse.  What he should have done is refused your order and told you to order through one of those distributors.  But it seems like he wants to have his cake and eat it too.

In this case, by my thinking, the quality of his product is hurt by the customer service he is showing.  What happens if one of his units need repair?  Does the customer have to wait months for the repair?  They shouldn't have to, and this ties into the product quality.  No matter how good or trouble free it is, it isn't worth it to chance that there will be a bad one going down the line--and you will get it.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 04:09:42 AM »

Does anyone have a schematic drawing of a TT ? My TT quit running the antenna motor Friday. Likely a defective L278N.
Antenna motor only draws 200 mils. Disappointing the 278 should quit.

73 Tony N5UD
NA6TE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »

I had a simular problem with the communications months ago. I think the HEALTH ISSUES is BS.

If the TT quit sending power out to the antenna Tony (N5UD) you are correct in the L278N is the problem. Mouser has them and I replaced and it worked for a while but it's on the blink again. I agree that the TT is a good product (or used to be) but the owner communication literaly SUCKS.

Nate...NA6TE
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »

Part of the issues with the TT, is the L278N logic controller bridge rectifier. Although rated at 50 vdc, improper choking of the motor leads will easily destroy the chip. If the choke you have is wound around a mix 43 bead, with only 3 to 5 turns, you're going to continue to have RF issues with the chip.

You might want to read this: http://www.k0bg.com/controllers.html

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »

My motor choke is mix 31 with like 12 turns. Actually 2 of them in series. It worked for year or so. Then I tuned it 10 meters, and would not run it again. The M+ and M- are putting out 12 vdc, depending on direction, but the other side is either an open or 125 ohms to ground. Depending upon direction.

Anyway back on manual switch. Motor pulls 200 mils when running.

Why doesn't everyone provide a schematic as in old days ?

73 Tony N5UD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »

I guess I don't understand the "other side" being 125 mils??

If the L298N does output ±12, then is should be okay. The choke is adequate, so the issue must be something other than the L298N.

I have a basic problem with using logic controlled bridge rectifier chips mainly because they are just not forgiving of output shorts, even if properly fused.

This issue brings up another issue with the TT. The power for the antenna motor is drawn from the accessory port. This is questionable even on the Yaesus which use a 3.5 amp fuse, because the fuse is surface mounted. The Icom 706, and 7000 have a limitation of just 1 amp total on their ports, and even then the voltage drop through the radio is over one volt! You can rewire the TT to supply external power, but is isn't all that easy to do.

N4GCV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »

I guess I just didn't read all the comments out on the web closely enough.  (1) I just ordered a TT for the 7000.  (2) I haven't heard from N2VZ even though product was supposed to be shipped by now.  So I am off to try to canx the charge on the credit card.  Maybe I will get lucky.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: