Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FLARQ this weekend  (Read 10312 times)
NX5MK

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »

Operating FLARQ on 14070.0kHz with PSK-31 this weekend. Nice way of doing some digital and using NBEMS software.

Hope to meet you on air!

73 de Marcus KD0JKM
KC5SAS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »

Oh good grief. OK, I'll ask....What the heck is FLARQ? You throw out an acronym like that without any discription, explination or even a URL to a website set up for whatever it is? 
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:25:19 AM »

FLARQ is part of the FLDIGI software package.  It employs ARQ (automatic repeat request) techniques to send error free messages under noisy conditions.  I'm not sure why one would use it with PSK31 since PSK31 performs very poorly under high noise conditions. 

It divides a message into packets and computes a check sum for each packet to send along with the packet.  The receiving station computes another check sum based upon the packet information it's received.  If the two check sums agree, the receiving station knows it's copied correctly.  If they don't agree, the receiving station automatically requests a repeat of the packet.  At least that's my simplistic understanding of the process.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:45:57 AM »

I'm not sure why one would use it with PSK31 since PSK31 performs very poorly under high noise conditions. 
True, on HF you'd typically use something like DominoEX 22, Olivia 8/500 or Olivia 16/500 for NBEMS, but those are wider signals than PSK 31, so while he's just sitting there throwing out his beacon (basically the computer is sitting there CQ'ing away every 30 seconds) at least he's not taking up more bandwidth than necessary. Presumably, once he gets a connection from another station they could agree to change modes to a wider mode for file transmission (be it radiogram greetings, or other test data). flARQ has a live plain talk field as well as the file transmission field so you can chat with the operator while you're setting up the file transfer.

For testing, you can do audio frequency file transfers between two computers in the same room.
NX5MK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »

I regret that the name FLARQ was not recognized, but Google leads to th right links with its number 1, 2 and 3 hits.

Yes, PSK31 is not the best mode for error free correction, but then again, Amateur Radio is about experimenting and we here in this Forum are especially interested in EmComms. Since the NBEMS suite is for EmComms, why not give it a whirl?!

My testing session did get another Ham in Canada interested in trying out the FLARQ program. What I also noted, was that FLARQ does not allow long individual messages, it's more geared towards sending files.
Will sure try this out more by connecting with: http://www.pa-sitrep.com/NBEMS/

Have now also found the HF Amateur Radio Assistance Network as platform to further the art in communicating with the FLDIGI NBEMS suite http://www.w1hkj.com/

73 de Marcus KD0JKM

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »

Can you narrow down the time a bit more? What time and what freq offset? Lots of signals can be found on 14.070..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: