Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running CW mode with SignaLink interface  (Read 8616 times)
W8FCD

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »

I'm looking for a simple software program that will allow me to operate CW only with the SignaLink interface unit and an FTdx5000 rig.  The computer program is WindowsXP.  Any suggestions?
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:26:49 AM »

Steve,

There are 2 types of CW, CW and MCW (Modulated CW). The Signalink will do both CW and MCW BUT the Signalink USB will have to have a dedicated cable from the Interface to the Radio's CW Key Jack for Normal CW. As far as programs go, FLdigi, MixW, HRD/DM780 and MultiPSK will do CW. I donot know of a stand alone CW program.

Read the below info on MCW or goto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulated_continuous_wave

Modulated continuous wave
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Modulated continuous wave is defined by the Federal Communications Commission in 47 CFR ยง97.3(c)(4) as "Tone-modulated international Morse code telegraphy emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H or R as the first symbol; 2 as the second symbol; A or B as the third symbol." See Types of radio emissions for a general explanation of these symbols.

Simply put, MCW uses a fixed audio tone to modulate a carrier wave. This is an older method of sending Morse code, with continuous wave being the more common method used today.

Unlike A1A CW transmissions, A2A MCW morse can clearly be heard on a normal AM radio receiver. It was commonly used by many RDF beacons to send a morse station identifier on a regular basis.

MCW is not allowed in the United States on amateur radio frequencies lower than 50.1 MHz, as it is a very inefficient use of radio spectrum.

F2A MCW morse can be heard on a normal FM radio receiver, and it is commonly used by both commercial and amateur repeater stations for identification. Also, F2A is sometimes by other types of stations operating under automatic control, such as a telemetry transmitter or a remote base station.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:10:52 AM »

I'm looking for a simple software program that will allow me to operate CW only with the SignaLink interface unit and an FTdx5000 rig.  The computer program is WindowsXP.  Any suggestions?

Hello Stephen

The SignaLink USB will not allow you to operate CW in the CW mode on your rig.

What you need is a separate keyer like the K1EL Winkeyer,http://www.k1el.com/ . That unit connects directly into the cw jack of the radio, and into your computer.

Ham Radio Deluxe contains Digital Master 780 which allows you to operate the digital modes. In that software has the CW modes, and one of those modes is called WinKey. That mode operates the Winkeyer.

All of the above will work just fine with Windows XP, I have the same setup here on a FT-950.

The Winkeyer kit is $79 US.

73, Rick VE3FMC
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »

If you already have the Signalink you can use it for receiving and build a simple keying transistor circuit to interface the CW keying output of a serial port to the key jack on your transceiver.

The Signalink does not have the capability of connecting directly to your key jack. It can only generate audio tones and provide vox-like PTT keying to put the transceiver in transmit mode.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »

Bob AA4PB,

Are you saying the following info from Tigertronics is incorrect:

How do I operate "direct keyed" CW with the SignaLink?
This is done by simply connecting the SignaLink's PTT and Ground lines to the "Key" and "Ground" lines of your radio's Key jack.  One of our un-terminated radio cables can be used to make these connections.  You will need to attach the appropriate plug for your radio's Key jack to this cable.  Using our SLCABNC cable, we suggest attaching the white/orange wire to the tip of the plug, and the orange wire to the plug's body/sleeve.  You will then need to install the SignaLink jumpers as follows; PTT to 1, and G (ground) to 2.  Note that direct keyed CW is limited to about 25 WPM on Transmit (there is no limit on Receive), so if you need to transmit faster than this, you'll want to run AFSK CW.

de Steve KB6HOH
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »

The information you are getting here is contradictory.  Why don't you contact TigerTronics direct or join the Tigertronics Yahoo group where you can get more accurate answers. 

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

That's info that is not included with my older Signalink-usb. I'm very surprised that their VOX circuit is fast enough to do clean CW keying - but give it a try and see how it sounds.
KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 01:57:07 AM »

I don't know of any software that exists which will allow you to do what you want to do (which does not necessarily mean it doesn't exist). I looked on Tigertronics' website and they say Ham Radio Deluxe will do MCW so that may accomplish your goal. Lift your self imposed software only limitation and many options become available.

IMO, a better way is to just buy an interface from someone like W1GEE for 25-30 bucks, or make your own.

I use a Signalink USB and W1GEE keyer interface with my FT5000. If you purchased the Signalink just to do CW you could have saved money and got a keying interface.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »

Here is a simple interface to build that will directly key CW on any transceiver. I use one here for both CW and RTTY

http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html

For about $10 you can have fun on cw  I use DM780 for the receive decoder. I have reached DXCC using this setup.
K3GAU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »

GA Steve,

I Signal Link USB could be used one of two ways to generate CW.

1. One is to only use the PTT circuit output to key your rigs normal keying circuit.
2. The other way is to use the SLUSB as you would nomally for other digital modes.

If you choose method #1, you can use whatever 'digital mode' software you normally use.  You will still have to have enough audio level coming out of the computer to cause the PTT circuit to trigger but you just won't feed that audio to the microphone input of your rig.  You will have to change the PTT wiring from your TX PTT input to wherever your CW key would normally go and you will have to make sure the PTT Delay  on the SLUSB is turned all the way CCW.  I think someone suggested you could only go to about 20 or 25 WPM using this method.

If you choose method #2 you can still use the same 'digital mode' software as with method #1 and your 'normal' digital mode setup to send CW. 

Technically, if you AM modulate a carrier with a keyed audio tone you do produce double sideband "MCW" which is not allowed below 50 MHz.  HOWEVER, since for most digital modes you feed an audio signal into a Single Side Band transmitter, your transmitter suppresses the carrier so you don't have one and also filters out the other sideband that would normally be generated.  The net effect is that you radiate a single keyed frequency or tone that is identical to a 'normal' keyed CW signal so that someone listening to your signal can't tell how your Signal is being generated. :-)

Dave K3GAU 
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »

K3GAU finally posted a proper answer.

I'm currently using DM-780 and the Signalink USB for CW. As noted, you treat it exactly like any other digital mode - transceiver in USB (or USB-D if Icom). Select MCW in DM-780. Despite what the setting suggests, this is not actually modulated continuous wave, so it's perfectly legal on all the bands. The only change I had to make was to increase the delay setting on the Signalink a bit so the radio would key continuously through the CW transmission. It's a great way to have keyboard and macro driven QSOs.
K6OK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »

Been there, done that. I found the Signalink to be awkward and inferior at CW so I bought a K1EL Winkeyer. Glad I did!

The fact that the Signalink is limited to 20 wpm using the PTT is a red flag to me... does this mean at 18 or 19 wpm the CW envelope is sloppy or chirpy? I didn't care for the AFSK option... if I remember right, the rig had to be in USB mode and the VFO indicated frequency was wrong. Plus you can't use narrow CW filters in USB. All this motivated me to get a Winkeyer. The Winkeyer works beautifully, sends excellent clean code, is supported by HRD, N1MM and other software, and is a fun kit to build.   73 Jim K6OK
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »

I also have the SignaLink USB interface...I plan on using this for modulated-CW on the bands 160-10meters with my IC-7410...

AM I PERMITTED TO USE MCW BELOW 6-meters Huh

(I know this may not be the correct subject to ask, here)

Ken
KC8Y
NM3G

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »

The only way you can generate MCW with your transceiver is to either be in AM mode ... in which case you would be generating two tones above and below the carrier by the tone frequency; or to use FM (which you may not use when operating below 29 MHz).

When using any of the sound card-generated modes, your computer is generating one to many tones and sending them to your transceiver. The MCW mode is a single-tone generated by the sound card and when used in either the USB or LSB mode, will produce a single carrier output from your transmitter (assuming you haven't modified the transceiver to reinject the carrier.

Since your IC7410 has the USB computer interface, you can eliminate the SignaLink completely, unless you are using the SignaLink's VOX switch. I'm using HRD and DM780, and am using CAT transmit control on my IC9100.

By the way, MCW was, and continues to be used with non-directional radio beacon transmitters; the published frequency carrier is adjusted for required field strength, and the second (or modulation carrier) is adjusted for approximately 90% modulation. This allows the use of an AM receiver to monitor the beacon, and also allows use of a direction-finder to help you navigate using these beacons. Most of the long-range, sequenced beacons have been converted to continuous, short-range beacons (I'm speaking of the maritime beacons ... specifically in the Great Lakes).

I hope this helps, and good luck with the digital modes.

Rick
NM3G
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:07:35 AM »

I strongly suggest you quit messing with the SLUSB for CW keying.  Check out (GOOGLE) "keying circuits" and look at the FSK item from AA5AU.  He describes a simple keying circuit that works very will to key your radio for any 'switch closure' functions (FSK, CW, PTT).

Leave the SLUSB for what it's intended for, audio. 

...bc  nr4c
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: