Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so many contest stations with poor audio  (Read 6383 times)
W1BVV

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »

Why do so many contest stations crank up the compression so high?  Sure you can find them easily while tuning, but after you do you can not understand them.  Am I missing something?

Dave, W1BVV
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »

I agree. Some sounded like clipped CBs. Overly wide and loud. Not clear.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »

....and the run-together vowels in the callsigns
that take 4-5 listening to to figure out.

(OTOH, their English is better than my Spanish, French,
Portuguese, etc,)  Grin

Gotta head back fer the last hour....
Caught some nice ones on 10m....considering my setup.

73 Ken  AD6KA
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »

Portuguese, etc,)  Grin

I agree! And they are super nice !
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »

Some stations were ID'ing about 4 times in a row, without pattern, so they were actually making it harder
on themselves, by not listening more for a response.

Caught some nice ones on 10m....considering my setup.

Me too.

Portuguese, etc,)  Grin

Most of them were better than my CW.  Wink

And, most stations were nice, even if some of them need to turn down the mic gain.

Mike
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »

Why do so many contest stations crank up the compression so high?  Sure you can find them easily while tuning, but after you do you can not understand them.  Am I missing something?

Dave, W1BVV

I listened to one fellow on 75 meters that had a voice recorder that was so distorted he was impossible to understand. I called him and told him he was illegible when using his voice keyer, and he thanked me (with good audio) and then went right back to CQ'ing with the unintelligable voice keyer. 

DF0HQ had terrible audio on 75 meters, too. It took me nearly 20 minutes to figure out his callsign because of his voice recorder.

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 04:35:27 AM »

A lot of the CQers yell into the mike, or talk so fast that you can't understand them.
A lot of the "English as a second language" hams still speak in the rhythm of their first language and all words run together. Some signals had strange echos and sounded like the
music on Radio Moscow.  In other words same old stuff.
Of course one must wonder how the various speech patterns and drawls of stateside hams
sound to the outside world.
Allen
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »

Dave, W1BVV
I think that as a fraction of total contestants that the bad transmitters (distortion and splatter on sideband, hum and defective keying on CW) are fairly small.

But they are very obnoxious and destroy a certain chunk of the spectrum especially due to their tendency to be transmitting 90%+ of the time and seemingly never listen. (Of course it shouldn't matter whether they listen or not since you can't ID them so why bother working them?)
W1BVV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »

It seems the bulk of the offenders are stations that are running a frequency.  They want stations to find them, hence splatter is good ( you can hear them +/- 5Khz and they certainly show up on a panadaptor), and most stations answering them have to wait a few qso's to get in through the pileup, so it doesn't matter if it takes a couple of id's to copy their call.  It just seems so counter to the standards of amateur radio to intentionally generate a poor signal.

73, Dave  W1BVV
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »

I've never understood the strategy of running so much compression that people can't understand your callsign or exchange without multiple repeats.  That certainly wastes far more time and causes more lost contacts than it gains them by being loud and wide.  It also robs them of actual power, which ultimately results in less signal.

As W8JI noted, I love the ones that have their voice recorder audio jacked to the max and then on the exchange, they sound fine.  Or vice versa.  I did hear several guys this weekend tell the offending stations that their audio was distorted and practically unintelligible.  I confess I did that a couple of times, too.  But I didn't hear a single one of the offending stations crank back the compression or mic gain.  You have to figure they lost many contacts and multipliers while people tried to figure out callsign and zone from all that grunge.

Still, a fun contest, even for this casual op.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »

This topic is spot on.  Some of these compression jockeys need to either monitor their TX or start receiving unsolicited audio recordings of their poor stations attached to Emails.  For the good ops out there, thank you for taking the time to engineer your stations correctly.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »

This topic is spot on.  Some of these compression jockeys need to either monitor their TX or start receiving unsolicited audio recordings of their poor stations attached to Emails.  For the good ops out there, thank you for taking the time to engineer your stations correctly.

It s amazing how easy it could be. In my case, Heil list the specs on how your radio should be set up. I set it up exactly how he said. I have never gotten a bad audio report in 2 years.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »

The rapid fire of the calls in a non southern accent is a problem for me at times. I try to always be as distinct as possible so it is easy to understand this southern boy. Yes and calling cq for 45 seconds then listening for 5 and back to cq for another minute causes problems. I was trying to get up with 4 or 5 stations that did that. I finally gave up because they were not trying to hear. Most stations were very polite.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 06:19:18 AM »

I suspect that those stations running a freq with all kinds of splatter are doing it on purpose.  Keeps others from closing in on them.  Then there's that jerk at about 14270 with gross overmodulation/drive, the "No Contest Contester".  Real class guy.

I do have to wonder, however, about those guys who apparently want to do well in the contest, but have such terrible audio that others can't understand their call signs.  I myself just past by.

I piddled around a bit in this years CQ SSB contest.  Had my K3 down to 1400 Hz bandwidth at times.  Busy 20M band.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »

Radio manufacturers should eliminate compressors! I never use mine and have the mic gain set at 13% of 100%.

But some guys think they will get more contacts with the loud audio, which as many say is badly distorted.

Also, they call CQ, give their call, listen for 3 seconds then call again.  Roll Eyes They don't anyone a chance who is tuning them in to answer their call.

Voice recorders, some sound just brutal!

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: