Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo................ Vincenzo.......................  (Read 134443 times)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »

hang in, Vince.  tin-star dictator manager who hoses everything she touches just gave my wife a 10-day unpaid for following directions 3-1/2 years ago.  needless to say, the clusterish conditions surrounding same are run up the flagpoles at Institutional Compliance and General Counsel there, as well as the union channels and the Federal and state labor departments.

I'm working under the old contract day-to-day along with 13,000 union buddies while the clueless who bought our outfit read the list of takebacks bottom to top on odd days, top to bottom on even days, hoping one of them will sound wonderful to our negotiators.

the instructions we got for mobilization are apt for you while you're wondering how it's going to work out.  fix the cars, yourself if you can.  stock up on canned goods, cleaning supplies, and freezer food.  put the heating oil in the tank now.  pay as many small bills as you can, put as much as you can in savings.  economize.  get the haircut now and shine up the good shoes.

it's a jungle out there, and the big stinky apes rule.  take care of yourselves first, shine up the resume, and brush up on older skills that might be the next buzzword.

and if you find a good deal on a spare set of finals, jump.  you might need 'em in your spare time.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

Well, that was quick. I just got the ax after 18 years.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »

Been there, done that, I survived and so can you.......

Give yourself a few days this week for a personal pity party and a chance to consider your options, then get on the stick and apply for unemployment. It's not welfare, it's insurance that you've been paying into for the past 18 years for exactly this situation. If you were laid off through no fault of your own there should be zero hassles aside from the usual maze of paperwork. Don't put this off as it's easy to get bummed out and procrastinate. A week turns into a month that turns into next year and then you're looking at the bills and wishing you had started sooner.

Anyway........ While you're feeling like crap and have the time, get handy with your local job web sites and this one: http://www.indeed.com  Set up a search with 25 miles of the town you'd like to work in and 50 hits per page then get in the habit of checking for new listings at least once a day. DO NOT search for a specific type of work unless you're a phlebotomist (there are always jobs for phlebotomists) as you may have to broaden your horizons by applying for what you can get, not necessarily what you want. Better to look at everything available as that will give you more options and a shorter path to employment. Remember that the longer you're out of work the less likely you'll be hired and the smaller your unemployment benefits, so avoid being too picky.

DO learn as much as you can from the unemployment office about job searching, how to build an effective resume, and how to interview. There's an art to all three and it won't hurt to get some fresh advice from people who know what works.

And......... Whatever you do............ DON'T TELL ANYONE YOU'RE A YANKEES FAN!  THAT DEMONSTRATES POOR JUDGEMENT.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »

go home, get the confuser fired up, and register for unemployment at once.  start personal networking with your buds to see if anybody's hiring.

most jobs now are NOT listed with job service.  they are temp to hire, or friend referrals when they hear something's opening up. but work everything out there, and work it hard.

unemployment is paid for about 50% by the outfit that fired you, so get in early and get all you can.  they've got it coming to them.

I'm on my 3rd career, 5 or 6 total variants, and that's typical nowadays.

best of luck.  you do have an opportunity to work that 3 am DX now.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:42:19 PM by KD0REQ » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »

Yo.... Vinnie... Is there anything good on TV tonight?

Grin

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »

Rooting for the Giants
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »

It sucks to get laid off, it sucks worse to get fired, it sucks bad enough to have the
company bail out from under you.  However you have already gotten some good advice.
I think you used up your luck getting Sable Island so quickly, After calling myself
hoarse I finally made it today.  It seems to be tough from Texas maybe Colorado is
in the way??? 
Any way  don't give up and keep yourself looking presentable and talk nice to the
interviewer even if he/she is an A hole (cause they usually are).
Good Luck
Allen KA5N
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

Rooting for the Giants

Considering how handily Detroit spanked the Yanks in the playoffs I'd have thought the Giants wouldn't have romped like they did Wednesday night..... Say what you want, but Sandoval's trifecta in a park that's notorious for denying bleacher balls was damned impressive.

So, it's still early, but if yesterday was a preview of what's to come had NY prevailed over Detroit the Giants would have left them whimpering in a fetal position after a first game loss of 38 - 3.

BTW:  For some reason I enjoy watching Lincecum pitch. Something about the dude is other-wordly, even though he was having control issues a few days ago.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »

Do my eyes deceive me, or is this the chassis from an original unrestored VinnieTone Five AC/DC Superhet?
A quality radio so inexpensive that you'd think it fell off the back of the truck.

In fact, this one looks like it did:  http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11703898

They sure don't build 'em like that anymore..............    Tongue

BTW:   Trivia time! Looked up a squidmatic tonight for a late 40's Filco and phound it has a phairly phancy seven tube chassis. The 1st RF and local oscillator tubes were labeled as " XXL " and I thought maybe the service info had been written before the squidmatic was finalized, so " XXL " was a placeholder for a tube type yet to be determined.

Nope.................. It'za toob:  http://www.nj7p.org/Common/Tube/SQL/Tube_query.php?Type=XXL

Go Figure.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »

Oof. That is ugly.

Anyway, if you have not looked at any maps lately, I am directly in Sandy's path. Not having a good week.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2012, 02:14:47 AM »

'5UP,

The XXL is listed in the ARRL Handbook Tube data section under 7 volt Loktal base tubes. Triode oscillator.

The XXD is 12.6 volt heater loktal twin triode, similar (not exactly the same) to a 12SN7, but lower heater current.

BTW, that's the 1946 ARRL handbook......
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »

I am directly in Sandy's path.

As God intended.

All I know is that tonight it will be the Saints & Colts on NBC and Giants & Tigers on FUX. What's a Bubba to do? I'm no sports analyst, but it seems to me that if SFO sweeps the Tigers then the real contender in all this was the Cards... Yeah, I know they lost four out of seven to SFO, but they're also the only team to beat SFO in post season play.

Three times.

Gotta' be some cred in that. At least they were the only team smart enough to sell more playoff tickets than the rest.

In a few hours your governor will hold a press conference so you'll know what to do. In the meantime you might want to brush up on how to grab your ass with both hands and kiss it goodbye. Not that it will come to that, but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared... Damn good thing there is no global climate change or you'd really be screwed.    Tongue

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2012, 10:16:12 AM »

backstroke.  wear a nice wool sweater to prevent cramps.

myself, I would gas up the car and drive west with the insurance policies and photo albums in the trunk, and the credit cards in the pocket.  after the second refuelling, find a room and watch the weather channel.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »

Well, that was quick. I just got the ax after 18 years.

Wow its going around. I just lost my job of some 19 years.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

sucks.  best of luck in your search.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: