Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo................ Vincenzo.......................  (Read 175875 times)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »

My 7000 has a little pill jar in a clamp inside, the jar is filled with replacement transistors. 

The transistors on the board are all in sockets. 

The radio still works, has not needed a new transistor ever. 

But what a great idea. 

Travelers used to take the Transoceanics all over the world with them, matter of fact there were magazine ads touting some big name explorers, mountain climbers, etc. who endorsed their Transoceanic radios in the ads, typically with pictures from exotic spots, often campgrounds.  I suppose having those extra replacement transistors inside, with the leads pre-trimmed to fit the sockets, was an extra modicum of security at a time when the robustness of the transistor was still debated. 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »

Waytogo!

Not only a good looking piece, but an excellent performer that looks like the top of the line radio it is. I think there is a known issue with a toothed rubber belt that drives the tuning mechanism. Might want to web search the model for more. A friend of mine had one back in the day and I recall it was very easy on the ears... The kind of radio you could listen to for hours without fatigue.

BTW: The R-7000 comes up on ShopGoodwill routinely and usually pulls better than $100, the 3000 is less common and here's the only one in the past 90 days: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=13415685 Even though the price looks comparable, be aware that for me there would be $21.00 worth of S & H so you got yours for about half what you'd have spent on this auction. All I know is this past Tuesday it was Senior Day at the local Goodwill and I picked up a not-too-old SONY A/V receiver for home theater use for $15.00. Damned if I know why it was donated as it has more digital bells & whistles than I need........ Maybe the newest model has an extra button. First component receiver I've bought that does not have a phono pre-amp.

Not that I was going to hook up a turntable, but I still have a few............

This appears excellent and complete. Does not have the second Wavemagnet inside. I am wondering if this is a later version. There were a couple generations of these. Battery compartment is near perfect! Have have to do some nicotine removal. I have to do a test spot.

BTW, I think you can use a aux input or tape input for the Sony. I seem to remember you could use it, or you can buy a preamp and then use the inputs. But I cannot recall for sure, because it was over 25 years ago.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »

Nelson, Nelson, Nelson!

I had major confusion! Now that I am home, I can explain. The family and I were in Cape May for an extended vacation weekend. We went to the beach, and on the way we saw an antique/community yard sale in a square. My wife asked to stop by after the beach. At about 3pm, we stopped. I saw the radio there standing out like a sore thumb.

When I first looked, I though it had the missing removable wavemagnet antenna. That is when I posted to you. I then came home and did research. As you said, this is a much less common version of the 1000, which I originally got it confused with. The FM addition required the removal of the removable wavemagnet.

So, instead of the 1000, I do have the 3000. And all for $30! LOL

I cannot believe someone did not pick it up!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

I see a ton of those around. Likely not worth much. But I am assuming they sound friggin great.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: August 15, 2013, 01:01:37 AM »

Click the pic and you can see more, Seymour...........  Roll Eyes

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: August 24, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »

Does it come with the Rockettes?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2013, 05:36:10 PM »

Of course not. The Rockettes are solid state.

Somehow in the deep recesses of my mind I recall that Radio City was a very old NYC radio store that preserved the tradition of selling not only complete radios but also repair parts and experimenter DIY goods. Lest we forget the old names like Allied in Chicago and Lafayette / Radio Shack in NYC also operated that way. So maybe the tube tester was house brand test gear from a radio store of the same name... As for the Tobe communications receiver, yowser! Whatta' piece!

Here's another interesting item:

Looks exactly like a Knight (Allied) AC voltmeter, and possibly an early auto-ranging model. Back in the day that must have been like magic..................  Shocked

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

new that amp is a grand as a reissue.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

Over $600 !

BTW, I am repairing a early 1960's transistor Toshiba AM/FM. I recapped it. Was dead. A guy told me to focus on the headphone jack. I put in a 1 KHz signal to the wires, traced it, and found an open wire. I shit you not. Wire was brutally thin and heavy oxidized. yet soldered on both sides. Replaced wire, and got sound and no reception. I found I missed a cap. Replaced it, and she lives!

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »

...just passed $700.00 this morning. I know there's a cult thing about toob audio, but I also know the first thing a contemporary Jimmy Page wanna-be will do is hang a fuzzbox 'tween the axe and amp so any pretense about tonal tradition becomes imaginary.

OTOH: If it's true the s/n places the build date in 1951, for all we know it was pawned by the original owner in 1956 then purchased by a young truck driver from Tupelo, MS intent on getting into the music bidness.

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................... ...

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »

Would be very difficult to prove. That, or the General gets all the royalties !
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »

This is totally nutz.......... looks like two dudes with a bad case of testosterone poisoning and/or bad judgement have gotten into a bid war.

With four days left to run the high bid was $ 972.00 on Sunday, 9/8/2013 @ 4:00pm CDST. Think of how many All-American Five Tube Superhets that kind of money could buy!

Hell, a person could buy a one way bus ticket from New Jersey to France for less than that and get a lifetime of pleasure from the experience.........  (I was going to say from New Jersey to Italy but that would be redundant)   Roll Eyes

Pages: Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: