Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo................ Vincenzo.......................  (Read 175810 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2014, 03:32:19 PM »

What was used as a receiver? Did you have to manually switch between them?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »

I am not sure why anyone beside you and I read this thread. It is totally useless.

I haven't darkened this thread with my presence since January but for some meaningless reason I decided to see how far down the stack it has fallen.......
Page five, but one thing jumped out at me:  THIS THREAD HAS NOW RECORDED OVER 100,000 VIEWS !!!

It's official.......... We have become the click & clack of eHam and only one of us is Italian.    Grin

Never change a password on a Friday                
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »

Nah, no pledge week whines.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »

Yo......... Vinn-Ay:

This is a rare beast:   http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/1938-RCA-Victor-811K-Vintage-3-Band-Floor-Radio-16312034.html

See the piece towards the upper left corner that looks like a phono motor? 
That's what it is... Except it drives the tuning condenser.    Shocked

Sure... It needs a little work both inside and out...

And it's a pickup item in Indiana, but aside from that........ This was one expensive radio back in the day.
Not only one of RCA's better chassis designs but also auto-tune. Push a button and it QSY's to the next station.

Wouldn't take much to build a wired remote.  Assuming the difficult to replace parts are still good.   Grin

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:24 AM »

Yup Quite amazing about this thread.
I have the very same  RCA 811 floor model radio. It was restored completely. My 811 has an enclosure of sorts behind the speaker. I experimented listening with the enclosure on and off. The bass sounds better with it on. The auto-tune circuit in my 811 does not work. It play loud with a pair of 6L6's in the audio.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2014, 07:13:39 AM »

I have an 811k in the garage I started restoring about 15 years ago before I got distracted. Last time it was powered up it played. Poorly. Then I noticed a faint whiff of smoke from the rear corner of the chassis where the transformer lives and it stopped playing. I have a potential replacement transformer (assuming that's what smoked) and it's just a matter of getting a round tuit before it will play again. It's quite a piece that deserves better than indefinite storage.

But........ In consideration of other things that make no sense........

(click the pic, Seymour...)

Why anyone in their right mind would bid on an HP-410B when a perfectly decent DMM can be had for the same money is beyond my comprehension. Especially since that's exactly what I wanted to do when I first saw it. Sure, it's HP. The squidmatic is freely available on BAMA. The tube complement is easy-squeezy to replace. Aside from the precision resistors and a ballast tube there's nothing exotic inside. It appears to have lived a good life with proper care. In the history of VTVM's this is likely one of the most desirable models, even if it does use an AC probe with an internal diode tube like most of them did. Plus, the DC probe needs an internal 1 meg resistor.

But........   It's from the Pahbulous Phifties.   Like me.   What more do we need to know?

NOTE TO VINNIE:  CLICK HERE FOR SOMETHING YOU NEED !!  Seriously... It's a whole 'nother concept in operating mobile.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: June 18, 2014, 06:47:19 PM »

A person could buy a fair number of substitute firebottles for what this one is bringing at bid...

But ya' gotta' say it is in near mint condition.  And the conductance is mutual.........................   Tongue

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: October 18, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »

Yo...   Jersey Boy...   Click the Pic for more:

Usually I taunt you with stuff I found on the Goodwill web site, this is one I bought on the Goodwill web site.  Should arrive next week.  Did not need another 'scope but for the price we're talking cursors and readouts and more than I'll ever need to know about a signal. Yeah, it's the 50 MC model, but if it's typical Tek should be accurate beyond the spec.  That's good enough for me.

Also bought this one... 

Check the product label against HP's web site and you'll find this is the DN model which includes network print and duplexing.  More printer than I need, but I never met a duplexer I didn't like.  With shipping I'm looking at $77.00 plus change on the doorstep and it's only three years old.  Still available brand new in the box at Office Depot for only $781.00.  That's a shade under ten cents on the dollar and it prints both sides of the paper auto-magically.  Amazin' what shows up from time to time... Like this:  http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Fluke-True-RMS-Multi-Meter-17806951.html

If I didn't have more meters than I need I'd have been all over that like ugly on a Philco clock radio......................

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: October 19, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »

I am not sure why anyone beside you and I read this thread. It is totally useless.

I haven't darkened this thread with my presence since January but for some meaningless reason I decided to see how far down the stack it has fallen.......
Page five, but one thing jumped out at me:  THIS THREAD HAS NOW RECORDED OVER 100,000 VIEWS !!!

It's official.......... We have become the click & clack of eHam and only one of us is Italian.    Grin

I only look at this thread to see what links you post Nelson.  Some of them are very good.

Rick  WN2C
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: October 19, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »

.....you were impressed by the surplus Air Force locomotive I posted a few months ago.  Although the pic has expired the link is still good.  Sold for $26,000.00 which is within the range of a nice new car,  but let's be honest...  Which makes more of an impression on a blind date?  A nice Toyota or a mid-50's vintage diesel-electric GE loco?   Sure, it depends on the attitude of the date, but really... The loco is on rails.  What could be better?

In any case, this post is a bookmark for me and a comment on Internet auctions in general.  Check out this shizzel:    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=18431687

When I bough the TDS-310 there were two up for bid. The other one went for $111.00, and I paid $136.00 because some douche tried to snipe mine. Bastid cost me $25.00 but that's OK... Sorta... I still came in below my max bid and the 'scope appears to be spotless.  Which brings me to the link above:  More than a day to go and a 20 MC B & K Precision analogue 'scope is at $102.00.  Which tells me there's a fair chance it will sell for more than the $111.00 digital Tek TDS-310 that went un-sniped.

Geez, Louise, what's up with that?

Sure the B&K might be newer and it "looks" like something from Beaverton, but that doesn't make it the standard of the industry.  You'd have to be totally clueless not to know better.  The current bid is a clear violation of the first two rules of web auctions... (1) Research the going bids by looking at previous auctions - and - (2) Never, ever, forget there will always be a bigger & better deal in the future.

So don't bid like a moron...               Or snipe me on a 'scope.                There will be a B&K that's just perfect for ya' coming up! 

(sure would be a hoot if the 'bag that sniped me ended up buying the B&K. Serve 'em right!)

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »

UPDATE:  The 20 MC BK 'scope sold for $125.00 plus freight.   Not the same d'bag that sniped me, but whatta' maroon..........    Roll Eyes

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »

In case no one cares, both the Tek TDS-310 'scope and HP P3015 printer have arrived.  Both have been extensively evaluated, and..........  Sell my clothes 'cuz I think I died and went to heaven!

The 'scope is clean, gently used, has a beautifully sharp display, and is balls-on dead accurate against the internal calibrator.  While everything I'll probably ever need can be handled by the Tek 2213 'scope I already have, the TDS-310 is like the Star Trek version.  For the first time in a long time I actually RTFB and once I got the Zen of the menu flow the rest came intuitively.  All I know is the calibrator is 'sposed to be a 5 volt square wave at 1 KC.  The display looks exactly square with no distortion and through a 10:1 probe the autoset / auto measurement setup gives me 500 mV @ 997 CPS.  O. M. G.  I am not worthy, I am not worthy...

As for the printer, yes it has the network print option and duplexer.  Also clean and gently used, the only issues were two keys mashed down on the control panel (which is a UPS thing since the auction pictures show them un-mashed) and a toner cart with an aging photo conductor.  Prints well at 42 pages per minute ( ! ) but black is more like a slate grey.  I bought two spare carts for it but at the moment have no desire to swap the original.  The background is still clean.  It's good enough for now and is darkening slightly as I'm using it.  The two mashed buttons popped back into place with a little nudge from a small screwdriver. The test page tells me 115,007 total pages printed since new and I suspect this model series has a design life approaching a million. Which is more than adequate.  It does not need one, but if and when, a rubber roller refurb kit can be found for $39.95.  Then I'm good to go for another jillion pages.

As for radio stuff... Check this out:   ( click the pics for more )

This too:

And one more:

Remember that someone walked into their local Goodwill donation center and dropped these off 'cuz they had no further use for 'em... Or their accountant suggested a good charitable donation could be more useful.  In any case, given the locations, I suspect that person was not N4NYY.     Grin

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »

Hard to believe, but it's true... Someone in the Portlandia Metro donated this:

Shocked Shocked Shocked   Click the pic to see what it sold for  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Pages: Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: