Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilson Little Wil for 10 meters?  (Read 4233 times)
K3BAK

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »

A friend gave me a Wilson Little Wil that has about an inch cut off the whip. Has anyone used one of these antennas for 10 meters? Or will I be replacing the whip? I kind of like having the shorter whip for clearance, but such is life.
Any input would be appreciated.

Brian
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

Try it and see.  That's about a typical adjustment for using a CB antenna on 10m.
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »

I should probably have mentioned the whip is now about 34-35 inches.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »

Do you own and know how to use a SWR meter? That is the only way you can check for sure. Also the SWR may change depending on where you place the antenna. The top of the roof is best, second to the trunk lid, if you have one. If you don't own a meter, borrow one from a local ham and try the antenna out, testing in the center of the 10 meter band first. You have a little bit of length adjustment that can be made to the rod with the set screw. Good luck. Let us know what the reading is. Anything below 1.5/1 is good! Wink

I have had good luck with these antennas without shortening the rod. Hopefully, the previous owner was a perfectionist. With the full length rod it can be used on 10, 11 and 12 meters. That is why I don't shorten mine! Grin
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »

I do have a meter. The antenna is on the roof of my suv. On the low end of 10 meter the swr is just over 3:1, on the high end it pegs the meter out.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »

I have use of a Little Wil and it works great, after being trimmed, on 10m.   I would try adjusting via the set screw as mentioned above and see how you fare.   If I recall, the unit I've used is around 1.5:1 on much of the band.   It's a great little antenna and when the band is open it could be argued that you don't anything more for mobile operation.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:19:03 AM »

It could be that the previous owner trimmed the antenna for 6 meters. In that case, you are probably going to have to get a new rod for 10 meters. They are pretty cheap, so no problem. If you do get a replacement, try it with the rod pushed all the way in without trimming and check the SWR. It should work fine.  Wink
BOOTYMONSTER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »

the lil will is about 36 inches tall for the cb/11 meter band . your stinger will most likely have to be trimmed for 10 meters on it . i used one on 11 meters with a little 2 pill amp pep'ing just under 200 watts so it will take a little bit of power . there are better antennas no doubt ..... but for a 3 ft antenna its tough to beat .
N8WWM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »

I do have a meter. The antenna is on the roof of my suv. On the low end of 10 meter the swr is just over 3:1, on the high end it pegs the meter out.

Check it on the CB band. If the SWR rises going up from 20 to 40, the whip has to be shorter on 10.

Easy look see...start on channel 19-20 on your CB dial.
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:21 AM »

Well I picked up a radio shack Swr meter and after cutting 3-4 inches from the whip I finally got the little wil tuned. Swr starts at 2.5:1 on 29.3 drops to 1:1 at 28.5 and gets back up to 2.5:1 at 28.650. All and all I'm happy to have 3.5 khz of decent bandwidth. I was able to hit Nevada and New Mexico at 59 with no issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: