Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what needed to use HF repeaters  (Read 27734 times)
KA1ULN

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »

what exactly is needed  to use HF  repeaters?

hardware? software? rig?

can i use an icom 761, rigblaster,  (how to program the PL etc)?

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »

The IC-761 can work repeaters by using both VFOs (A and B). 

The only repeaters on HF are on 10 meters, above 29 MHz.  There aren't many, since only four "channel" allocations are generally used in the U.S. (although in some other countries, there can be more).

To use "PL," (CTCSS) you need the optional Yaesu UT-30 tone board.   Do you have that?  If not, you can't use PL until you find a UT-30 and install it.

FM repeater operation is fully described on page 35 of the IC-761 instruction manual.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »

The requirements are a radio that is capable of 'split' operation, PL tones if required, and being able to hear and be heard by the repeater.  (Just like what was already said.)
 - Paul
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »

The only repeaters on HF are on 10 meters, above 29 MHz.  There aren't many, since only four "channel" allocations are generally used in the U.S. (although in some other countries, there can be more).

To use "PL," (CTCSS) you need the optional Yaesu UT-30 tone board.   Do you have that?  If not, you can't use PL until you find a UT-30 and install it.

FM repeater operation is fully described on page 35 of the IC-761 instruction manual.

WHY would he need a YAESU "ANYTHING?It's an ICOM IC-761 from what I read. LOL Bet he is confused now for sure.He would need an ICOM UT-30 Tone Board though for the CTCSS tones for each repeater.  Wink  {:>)   Grin   Cheesy  Smiley  }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »

WHY would he need a YAESU "ANYTHING?It's an ICOM IC-761 from what I read. LOL Bet he is confused now for sure.He would need an ICOM UT-30 Tone Board though for the CTCSS tones for each repeater.  Wink  {:>)   Grin   Cheesy  Smiley  }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

Yep, Icom.  I suggested the Yaesu UT-30 just to keep him wondering. Cheesy
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »

If the icom tone board is the one which is set with dip switches giving only one ctcss tone choice then another option is to use a Comm-Spec ctcss solution.  Some have a selector switch with all available ctcss tones.

I use a comm- spec 32 tone ctcss board in an old kenwood ts690 which had a dip switch single ctcss option board that was a major pain to change the tone.

If you google ten meter repeaters you will find a large selection using various ctcss in the us, canada,south america, canary islands australia and europe and possibly some others that I forgot.

My general electric rangr mobile radio is programmed with 10 ctcds tones an all four main pairs plus 29.61/51 and 29.65/55 which are two of the other repeaters used, google may also show some other pairs being used.
KA1ULN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »

SHE

i can operate split on the IC-761.
i will try with some of the suggestions here..
i have a rigblaster... that should allow me to do that?
more investigation!

thanx for your help     cannot wait for 10 meter to come back!  I am waiting patiently.
for now just trying to improve dipole and tower setup.

73  KA1ULN    Smiley
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

Little late, but may be of help.

10 meter repeaters are all FM mode.  So, that rigblaster really isn't necessary to use the repeaters.  Other than generating the usually required 'tones' your radio should be able to 'do' 10 meter repeaters fine all by it's self.  I've never owned a '761 so no idea if it has those 'tones' or not, probably does.
 - 'Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: