Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems w/ HS 1500 on 15 meters  (Read 1365 times)
WL7HE

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

I have a HS 1500 on the front of my Dodge PU. Been using it there for years with no problem. The higher bands started getting good so went looking to see who I could work. Antenna tunes 10 meters good at the bottom of the coil. The lowest I can get it to tune on 15 meters is 2/1 SWR just above the 10 meter position, The antenna is bonded well and am using the shunt coil. From what I can remember the antenna worked on 15 meters years ago. The antenna has been on the truck for 7 or 8 years. Anyone have any ideas.
Thanks
WL7HE
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:28 AM »

Some things to do to troubleshoot:

Check the bonding again.
Remove the antenna mount, clean things up, and reinstall.
Remove the shunt coil.
To see if you have a bad spot on the coil install a shorter or longer whip (add wire to existing whip) and try tuning.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:40:38 AM »

As stock, the shunt matching coil is laying right on the antenna's U mounting bracket. If you stretch it out a bit, you'll get a better match on the upper bands.

WL7HE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »

Thanks for the tips. I did try stretching out the shunt coil and did clean up the brass mount with steel wool and it's nice and shiny now. Will look at the bonding strap a little closer. I did cut about 3 inchs off whip and was surprised that it did not change the tuning of the antenna much.

On another note I have a 34' travel trailer that I pull from time to time. Well the antenna will not tune on 75 meters. Works on all other bands. Again the antenna is mounted on the front of the truck, As soon as I disconnect from the trailer it is fine. I know I have more metal on the frame side of the truck but it is kind of strange to me that it only affects 75 meters
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »

It will tune, it is just that the capacitive coupling is a bit much which effects the SWR for sure. Stretch out the matching coil some more, and it will tune 75, with or without the trailer connected.

WL7HE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »

Thanks Alan will give it a try
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: