Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vibroplex bug  (Read 2954 times)
M0JHA

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2011, 06:19:08 AM »

Hello, i collect keys and have got hold of a vibroplex bug for the collection, i like using all my keys but may have an issue , i taught myself the code and my first paddle was a homebrew single lever . i had it set up with the dashes on the thumb and the dits on the index finger and this is how i wire all my keys now . I have had a few pre wired keys where its the other way round and see many people have the paddles set up opposite to the way i do..

On a normal paddle this is not an issue i simply re wire the plug but from what i gather a bug is used the opposite way to me , can i set a bug up to how i am now used to sending , dashes on  the thumb ?( i'm right handed) as i would really like to be able touse this bug and not just have it sat in a cabinet.

billy

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:11:40 AM »

Most people do it opposite of you. If using your left hand is out of the question you can purchase a left handed bug. They typically cost just a little more.

Can be purchased new to this day: http://vibroplex.com/original_bug.html

I'm not aware of how to modify a normal bug, maybe there is a way?

73, Geoff
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:14:26 AM by AE4RV » Logged
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »

There was a thread in this forum a while back that asked the general question "What difference does it make if I learn to send CW 'backwards' on my paddle?"  At that time, nobody who had trained themselves to send in an inverted fashion really wanted to hear that there was a good reason for learning to send in the standardized fashion.  Well, here's your answer.  Standards become "standard" for a reason.  If you want to use a bug now, your only option is to use a left handed bug with your right hand.  Or you could retrain yourself to use an electronic paddle, and hence a bug, in the conventional manner in order join the rest of the world.

A friend of mine taught himself to send "backwards" with his VibroKeyer despite my rather strong recommendation that he learn in the conventional manner.  He insisted that it felt "more natural" to him to send that way.  Huh?  How could anyone just starting out, who has had no opportunity  develop a preference, even prefer one way over the other?

NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »

See if you can mount it 'upside' down.

...bill  nr4c
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:11:37 AM »

Yes, upside down. Or the paddle on the backside by turning the bug 180 degrees in a horizontal plane.

Actually the "industry standard" dashes on the finger of the right had, is a disputable choice, because most critical is the timing of the dots, and the thumb is less fit  to do that task then the finger. But the thumb is stronger and the mechanical bug requires for making a string of dots more force. That will be the original reason for thumb=dots, I guess.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:15:25 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:18:17 PM »

You have a left handed bug.
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »

There was a thread in this forum a while back that asked the general question "What difference does it make if I learn to send CW 'backwards' on my paddle?"  At that time, nobody who had trained themselves to send in an inverted fashion really wanted to hear that there was a good reason for learning to send in the standardized fashion.  Well, here's your answer.  Standards become "standard" for a reason.  If you want to use a bug now, your only option is to use a left handed bug with your right hand.  Or you could retrain yourself to use an electronic paddle, and hence a bug, in the conventional manner in order join the rest of the world.

A friend of mine taught himself to send "backwards" with his VibroKeyer despite my rather strong recommendation that he learn in the conventional manner.  He insisted that it felt "more natural" to him to send that way.  Huh?  How could anyone just starting out, who has had no opportunity  develop a preference, even prefer one way over the other?

when i taught myself the code i had no idea there was a "standard" way . i went from a straight key to a homebrew single lever paddle and this was simply because my key kept falling apart mid qso ..

to be honest it wouldn't of made much difference which way i did it , i could of learnt it any way it just happens that my way ended up being the opposite way to many others , i won't say "wrong" because it's only wrong as far as using a bug goes.

If asked by a newcomer in future i would suggest the "standard" way as i am now more knowledgable re morse /keys/paddles etc . back then i was in the dark with no oppotunity of a hands on guide or local help as many people i knew back then were not interested in cw .

anyway there is no major problem , the bug looks well in my display cabinet

billy
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »

"anyway there is no major problem , the bug looks well in my display cabinet"

That's true. I collected them for years before I actually used one on the air. Sure is a fun way to send.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 04:25:46 AM »

I'm not aware of how to modify a normal bug, maybe there is a way?

Yes, there is. But it's not for the squeamish.

All that needs modification is the base plate. One common method is to turn the baseplate over and add new tapped holes for the rubber feet. T  The rest of the parts are either symmetric or can be reversed.

A less-drastic solution is to either make your own left-handed baseplate (it's just a piece of steel plate) or get Vibroplex to sell you one.

Look carefully at a bug in a mirror and you'll see.

73 de Jim, N2EY
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:03:05 PM »

Maybe if you take it to the southern hemisphere it would be the normal way around?
In any case, humans are great at adapatation, I am sure you will be able to retrain yourself if you wish.
Otherwise just enjoy the great workmanship of these pieces of mechanical art and just send with a bug you like,
no matter which way it is wired.

May the morse be with you.

73s
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:05:22 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: