Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Is the frequency in use"......"yes"......then silence....  (Read 5327 times)
KC9RCG

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2011, 05:53:57 AM »

I have experienced this recently. Then I heard a person complained to a friend how people camp out on a frequency. What happened to him above has happened to me.

As a good sport and gentleman, I choose to move on somewhere else.

At least I know I'm not the only one that has run into that.....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 05:59:17 AM »

I have experienced this recently. Then I heard a person complained to a friend how people camp out on a frequency. What happened to him above has happened to me.

Well sometimes you can only here one side of a conversation so it can be valid. Listening for a while can tell you for sure.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »

I sort of agree.

I have monitored one specific frequency for over an hour. I ask (correctly—no QRZing) if the frequency is clear. Some dude comes back, and says it is busy. Ask for a call, and you don't get a reply. If I don't get one, I call CQ.

Occasionally, someone will say, I have a sked with Huh? on this frequency. Well when is that? I have actually been told as long as an hour away. If that isn't hogging, I don't know what is.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »

You'll always find a smartass in any hobby..... When he says "Yes," thank him and set on the frequency for awhile.  If you don't hear this guy anymore, then as far as I'm concerned, the frequency is yours! 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »

Could have been worse.  I recently asked if a frequency was in use, and some lid cam back and said "Get the hell off of my frequency!!".
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:15 AM »

Half a dozen times in the last few weeks I've been listening to a DX station on 15 or 12 or 10, working a pileup split, and I've heard somebody ask if the frequency is in use.  If nobody else says it, I'll say "yes."   And then we go back to listening for the weak signal.  Luckily, I haven't heard anybody get the "yes" and then decide to start CQ'ing on the DX frequency. 

Especially on the high bands, it's entirely possible that lots of people can hear the DX even if you can't.   The quick "Yes!" ought to tell a considerate ham that the frequency IS in fact in use, and that calling on this frequency is going to inconvenience others.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »

I have been known to answer that question when I have been transmitting in a qso for awhile, when the station comes up with a 20 over signal, I simply ask "is your receiver in use". Fair question I think!
Bob
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »

Channelized 60 meters presents specialized problems where most DX is worked on Channel 5 (5305.5). I'll ask if the frequency is in use before calling CQ DX but often a stateside station will interpret my check as a general CQ and want to chat.

Couple of nights ago a stateside lid calls at least 20 CQs nonstop on the calling frequency at sunset. He finally shuts up and I jump in with a quick CQ DX looking for Europe. He then replies that it was his frequency and that I hadn't asked if it was in use (I didn't want to talk with him).

---
Asking whether a frequency is in use has become a required ritual even when useless. My business desk is near my radio which is often on. I'll know damn well a clear frequency isn't in use. But when I've plunged in with a CQ, I've had stations come out of nowhere complaining I hadn't asked public permission to CQ.

Then you have the stupid formalities that have developed. I don't recall any of this nonsense 40 years ago. W6AM would just wait for his big bottles to heat, pick a rhombic and leter-rip! But now we have...

"Is the frequency in use?"

"Is the frequency in use?" {sometimes ask even a third time!}

"Nothing heard" [pause once more]

What's the point of announcing "nothing heard" before CQing?

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 07:38:03 AM »

Channelized 60 meters presents specialized problems where most DX is worked on Channel 5 (5305.5). I'll ask if the frequency is in use before calling CQ DX but often a stateside station will interpret my check as a general CQ and want to chat.

Couple of nights ago a stateside lid calls at least 20 CQs nonstop on the calling frequency at sunset. He finally shuts up and I jump in with a quick CQ DX looking for Europe. He then replies that it was his frequency and that I hadn't asked if it was in use (I didn't want to talk with him).

---
Asking whether a frequency is in use has become a required ritual even when useless. My business desk is near my radio which is often on. I'll know damn well a clear frequency isn't in use. But when I've plunged in with a CQ, I've had stations come out of nowhere complaining I hadn't asked public permission to CQ.

Then you have the stupid formalities that have developed. I don't recall any of this nonsense 40 years ago. W6AM would just wait for his big bottles to heat, pick a rhombic and leter-rip! But now we have...

"Is the frequency in use?"

"Is the frequency in use?" {sometimes ask even a third time!}

"Nothing heard" [pause once more]

What's the point of announcing "nothing heard" before CQing?

Political correctness?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »

Will be interesting to see how CW and digital co-exist with SSB on the 5 channels of 60 meters (especially the calling frequency) when the FCC gives final authorization to the new modes.

There's some juicy CW DX on channel 5. But American ragchewers sometimes sit on the calling frequency. Will CW stations just call over them?

A CW "QRL?" won't work when many hams, especially on 60, don't know CW.   
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 12:29:46 AM »

A CW "QRL?" won't work when many hams, especially on 60, don't know CW.

Yep.....and more and more it doesn't work on RTTY either.

Re the original post, I once overheard a funny exchange:

"Is this frequency in use?"
Reply: "Is your receiver in use?"

I know, I know, often we can only hear one
side of a QSO, but I still got a chuckle out of that one. Cheesy

73, Ken  AD6KA
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:27:51 AM »

I run primarily QRP and it is sometimes embarrassing when I call QRL? a couple of times with no response then start to send CQ only to have another station suddenly appear right there.  It is important to realize that we cannot always hear one end of a QSO and I have frequently been QRMed into ending a QSO early because an operator could not hear my little squeaker.

It's all part of the fun of ham radio.  Wouldn't change it.

73, JP, K8AG
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »

If you wait a minute or two after asking if the frequency is in use, and hear no response. I will go ahead and use the frequency. I always listen for about a minute or two before even asking if the frequency is in use. If there is no station on the frequency to be heard. I start calling CQ. If after calling CQ  some joker comes back with a snide remark about the frequency being in use, I simply ignore it and continue its use as my license says I can and has said for more then 50 years. If the fellow continues and tries to interfear with my transmission, my full power linear will usually take care of that.

I bad, I very bad

73s

K2OWK
K8IO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »

YES, I have. And then I have listened to the frequency set for another 15 or 20 minutes as it was Stone quiet. That Ticked me off big time.
On another occasion I asked and they said it was they had a sked upcoming and sure enough in a couple minutes here they came. So no big deal.
What I dislike also is more than once on 40 I have called CQ had a guy answer and then he proceeds to Hijack the frequency with his Buds. Really? How rude.
If they'd have asked I would have said that's OK go ahead. But they thought they were being slick I guess. Like a bunch of snickering sophomores. What LIDs.

Paul
K8IO 
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »

I'll hear it sometimes when listening to a dx station working split. I'm guessing the station asking can't hear the DX station. If someone says yes when you ask, just find some place else.

On the subject of nets and frequencies I've been 'tossed off' a frequency where I had been having a QSO already. Some cranky person will come on "you guys need to move XYZ net is going to start". Some times it is a net and other times it's just a few buddies who must simply meet there every night to rag chew and you're on "their turf".
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: