Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "SO" much easier ....  (Read 1972 times)
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 11:36:29 AM »

What's S/S? FD I know.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004, 11:39:42 AM »

What's S/S? FD I know.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 12:50:20 PM »

SS = S/S = November Sweepstakes
K0EWS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2004, 01:07:08 PM »

After a long weekend of CW contesting, I often hear CW when the toilet flushes of all things.  Since becoming a proficient CW contester, I have had very little interest in phone contesting.  It's just nothing that I'm willing to do; shout myself hoarse for a weekend when a tap of the key, or touch of a keyboard is so much easier.  I started the same way.  Worked the little state QSO parties leading to my first SS in 2001, and have been CW contesting ever since.  By my 2002 Field Day, I held my own with operators who had 40+ years of experience in ham radio.  By the way, they were glad to get help from a youngster(36 at the time; these guys are all in their 60s) so they took me in with open arms, and we've operated every Field Day together since.  For you "addicts" out there, the IARU is coming up this coming weekend, and for you hard core "addicts" the Spartan Sprint is tonight.  Maybe I'll work someone on this board!
Eric
k0ews
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2004, 02:25:13 PM »

Yes.... "November SweepStakes"...  One weekend is for  CW, and another for Phone.  The exchange is much more elaborate.  And, you have to log the time for each Q, *if* you plan to submit a contest summary to the ARRL.  For each QSO you EXCHANGE a sequential number, call sign, ARRL section, and the year you were first licensed. [the order may be not that, but those are the components of the exchange].  So, it *does* require a tad more operating skill than F/D... or the  10/160 meter contests.  But, you only work a station once.... if you work him on 15, you can pass him up on any other band you hear him on.    I have actually operated the Phone part a few times, running  QRP.  Yes, FIVE WATTS on my Bird Wattmeter...SSB !   You learn to only answer stations that are over S9.  By the way, I  won the Northwest Division for  S/S, QRP Phone.... Three years in a row.  It helped to be the ONLY Northwest Div entrant in that class.

Try the  S/S...  it is 30 hours in length....  'Breaks' have to be a half hour...   Maybe YOU will get a Clean Sweep...(sigh) I never have.  Hard to do from W7 land. I suspect there are no VE2  (PQ)  operators anymore...
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2004, 04:52:26 PM »

Some of the other features that set SS above the average CW event is the number of things you can do wrong or right. As noted, accuracy is the name of the game. A single error in the exchange of a single contact is doubled in negative value. Each correct Q is worth 2 points, but each error costs the claimant an additional 2 points; 2 for the Q, and 2 for a penalty. You don't lose penalty contacts, just penalty points.

Multiples are the number of sections you manage to work [QSO x 2 x SECs = TOT]. Fortunately, there's no such thing as a divisor for errors--unless you only work one station in a section, and you make an error in that one QSO.

One great thing about SS is there's no time limit on any band. But that's also a bad thing, because you must pay close attention to make sure your log notes the band of each and every contact. And the log must agree with the logs of the stations you work. If another station says you worked him, and he isn't in your log you can be penalized (remember double negative points) if no other station bears the QSO# he says you sent him.

Of course, if you work a station and he doesn't submit his log, you won't be penalized. But if yours is the only log showing that call sign, it will be noted as unique.

Another restriction is that you may only wwork 24 of the 30 hours. Neither can you take breaks shorter than 30 minutes. All breaks must be accurately (again)noted--you're best to let software keep track of that. When you log off, most logging programs will tell you what time you can log back on.

Don't let any of this scare you out of participating. Your fist time, just start slow, and let your confidence and momentum build. It is the "crack" operating event of the year--one time and you'll be hooked. Heck, it's even fun on phone. And I hate that nasty yackrophone taste SSB leaves in my mouth!

And the exchange sequence is   Serial number|Prec [A,B,M,Q,S,U]| Call| Check [last 2 dgits of year of first license]| ARRL SEC [not always state].  Read the rules for 2003 for complete explanation.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2004, 06:46:14 PM »

**VERY** well done,  CPA !   I never thought about the negative point aspect before.  As  Small Pistol I usually just scramble for what I can get. Realistically, I doubt my score is ever checked against other stations' logs, but...maybe they do check us all.   And I certainly have not been able to run over about 18 hours of the 30...for many years!

Great event...
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2004, 06:51:04 AM »

Since they automated the log checking system, they can be thorough.  Even so, they limit the detailed check to less than 100% of all entries.  My averages over the years, have been 97-99% of all claimed contacts.  As I noted baove, they can even identify if a station makes only one contact and doesn't submit a log.  I get at least 1 of those uniques every year. I suspect they represent future SS junkies, who hesitantly stick a toe in the water for the first time. You can identify them in the log by their low SNs late in the contest.

I certainly don't consider myself a real competitor.
This year will be my 10th CW SS.  But, I have yet to break 500 Qs in a single year.  I plan to do some station improvements over the next few months to accomplish that this year.  I think my average participation time has leveled at 18 hours for several years now.  I lack the energy to do more than that.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: