Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Only Hear Dots When Transmitting Through HRD  (Read 2437 times)
KB5JOF

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »

I am using Digital Master 780 through HRD.  I have a RIGblaster nomic for my interface and have the jumpers set to CW  for keyboard CW.  My signal looks good on the waterfall but I only hear dots in my headset.  Is this normal or should I do something different.  Thanks in advance.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »

I am using Digital Master 780 through HRD.  I have a RIGblaster nomic for my interface and have the jumpers set to CW  for keyboard CW.  My signal looks good on the waterfall but I only hear dots in my headset.  Is this normal or should I do something different.  Thanks in advance.

What radio are you using?

I have a Winkeyer USB that allows me to send cw with DM780 into the key jack on the rig. However if I have the Keyer in the rig turned on the Winkeyer does the same thing you are experiencing.

I have to make sure I turn it off after using the paddles I have hooked up to the front key jack of the rig.

KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »

Shocked  I am using a TenTec R4020 qrp rig.  There is no way to turn off the keyer but if I can get the plug wired correctly the sensor will do it for me.  I think I just haven't wired the 1/8" jack correctly yet.  RigBlaster has a detailed description of the connections but that is for a paddle.  I need to wire for a straight key.  Thought someone else may have already solved the problem.  I have a serial port hook up to the nomic RigBlaster.  The port is configured correctly. 
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »

I just checked the R2040 manual.  It's perfectly clear (with a photo):

. . . If you're using a straight key, the "ring" and "sleeve" of the stereo plug should be connected together.

That's how a "mono" plug would look, if you were using one.

So the R2040 internal keyer looks for a short circuit between "ring" and "sleeve".  If it finds a short, it says:

. . . "Aha -- a straight key!" and sends an "M".

Have you done this?  Has it worked?  Have you tried running the R2040 with a straight key?

Charles
KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:04:13 AM »

The radio works great with either a paddle or a straight key.  I am trying to do keyboard CW through software and it is not keying the radio.  My radio will only send CW.  No voice.  I don't need the sound card to do anything but key the keyer and thats the snag,
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »

Let me try again . . .

_If_ the RigBlaster NoMic can handle CW keying, and you have the jumpers set up right,

_and_ the rig's internal keyer works the way I think it works,

_and_ the phone plug has its "ring" terminal disconnected,

_then_:

. . . . . When you try to send CW from the keyboard, the rig sends "dits" (but no "dahs");

. . . . When you stop sending from the keyboard, the rig stops sending "dits".

Is that what happens?

If so:

. . . . You must short the "ring" to the "sleeve", on the phone plug that goes into the rig.

After you do that, shut down the rig, remove the phone plug, insert the phone plug, and turn the rig on again.

[If it works, you owe me a beer.]

Since I don't have either the rig, or the RigBlaster Nomic, there's a fair bit of guesswork in that prescription.   But it's worth trying.

charles
KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 03:15:40 AM »

Thanks for the info, I believe that might work.  I hope to get a chance to try it out soon and will let you know.  I may owe you a beer.
KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »

Got it and it sends nicely now.  Thanks for all the help. Grin
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »

I'm glad you're up and running.  Have fun! --

charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: