Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A modest proposal in preparing for FD 2005  (Read 590 times)
K9DI

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2004, 01:43:45 AM »

Hi Gang,
   Wayne K9DI and Leader Dog Patriot here.  Tom KF9HL and I worked Field Day 2004 as a 2D IL operation this year.  We worked 100% SSB, but before the dust from FD 2004 had begun to settle Tom and I were already discussing how to, paraphrasing Emeril LaGasse, "kick our operation up a notch!"  
   Well, here's part of what we came up with.  We challenged each other to get on the air every day and get at least one CW QSO per day until FD 2005.  Tom's a bit rusty, and I'm still working on building my copy skills up to an acceptable, to me, level.  So, I'll pass along this challenge:
   Get on the air every day and get a CW QSO, if you are in a situation in which you can't transmit, at least tune in an HF band and "read the mail".
   I'm not the best CW op in the world, but I am working to improve my CW skillset.
   Let me know what you folks think, maybe we should form a FD prep net somewhere?
Vy 73
de
Wayne  K9DI
k9di at k9di dot org
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 05:53:24 AM »

Sounds like a good plan, Wayne.  But you can kick your kicking it up a notch by yet another notch by particpating in other CW events between now and FD2005.  There are state QSO parties almost every weekend, wherein the exchange is quick and brief as FD exchanges.  They'll accustom your ears to quick formatted CW transmissions, which is a different CW skill than ragchewing.

The Summer CW NAQSO Party is the first weekend of August.  Just exchange name and state with as many stations as possible in a 12 hour period.  Some of the names can be pretty funny. During the winter 2001 NAQP in January of that year, every station I worked in Florida used the name "Chad."  

The best of the State QSO parties are California and Pennsylvania, both in October.  You'll want to make sure you have the practice they provide when you work Novemeber Sweepstakes. In December the 10 and 160M  contests will keep your new skills honed. Interspersed throughout the rest of the year will be several CQWW and WPX events.  

If you follow that plan, by next FD you will be able to call CQ on one band using CW, while hunting and pouncing on phone on another band at the same time, or vice versa.

Good luck.  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 11:27:16 AM »

If a higher score is what you're interested in:

-Work 100% CW
-Use only QRP rigs (5W output maximum)
-Emphasize using great antennas instead of higher power, as there is no penalty for using antenna gain
-Use battery or natural power (or both) exclusively
-Go for lots of bonus points

With a 2A-Battery station, you can often achieve a higher score by virtue of bonus points than you can, reasonably, by contacts.  Since there's a 100 point bonus for each battery powered station you use, you might want to kick up the operation another notch by adding more stations.  

My club (at the time), the Conejo Valley ARC (Ventura County, CA) using the callsign K6CAB in the 1992 Field Day set a record for the highest FD score ever achieved by anyone, and being the first FD station ever to break 30,000 points.  I was FD Chairman that year and used every strategy in the book.  We achieved every single "bonus" there is, and thus started out with about 4000 points before we made our first contact!

Good luck

WB2WIK/6
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 03:24:15 PM »

Yeahhhh..... *ALL* that stuff !
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 06:36:19 AM »

Wayne, there is a good contest opportunity this coming weekend.  The IARU championships begin at 1200UTC this Saturday morning.  The exchange is RST and your ITU Zone.  In the US, anywhere east of the Mississippi is Zone 8.

Don't worry about your speed.  Just send QRS PSE if you don't catch the exchange the first time.  Good luck and have fun.
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 05:00:07 PM »

Here's another idea:

Since this will probably be the last year we see the Novice CW portion, let's send them out with a BLAST.  I noticed on FD that hardly anyone operated between 7.100 and 7.150 on 40 meters.

WORK MORE NOVICE BAND!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: