Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TH-F6a tx issues  (Read 1698 times)
WK5H

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »

Nearly 2 years ago, I bought a used TH-F6a from a ham online.  It was in great shape aesthetically when I received it, and to my knowledge, it had no issues.  There's very little VHF/UHF activity around here on the 2 repeaters, so, it became more of a listening radio instead of a talker since I could only bump 2 repeaters around here.

The other day, I picked up a Yaesu FT-817nd to get into some QRP, and when I began to put in the repeater frequencies not only locally, but, in surrounding areas, I noticed that this radio not only was hitting the 2 locals repeaters, but, it was having no problems hitting repeaters 45-50 miles away from inside my office on the factory rubber ducky antenna.  My brain told me something was up with the Kenwood HT.  I took the same antenna, and put it on the HT, and like I always remember, the only repeaters I could hit were the 2 local ones.

I took both radios to a fellow ham here in town who has a swr/power meter for vhf/uhf.  The Yaesu was right on the money with 2.5s on battery, and 5w connected to 13.8v.  The Kenwood HT wouldn't even bump the needle, no matter what setting it was on, or if it was on battery or 13.8v.  It was the same for 2M, 1.25m, and 70cm.  I'm guessing it has only just milliwatts of output.

I took it apart and checked to make sure the SMA connector wasn't broken, and it was fine.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the previous owner did the same thing, because I noticed that there is a red seal around the tuning knob, but, the one for the SMC connector is missing.  Either there never was one there, or, someone who owned it before me forgot to put it back when they had the radio open, because this is the first time I've take the radio apart.

I'm guessing that the finals are toast?

The more important question is: About how much is it going to be for Kenwood to take a look at the radio and fix it?

Being that I can just go pick a new one up for under $300, I'm not exactly happy about dropping $200 on a radio in which for only $100 more, can be had brand new.
KF6DBZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:03:17 AM »

Hello,
Did you check the power output setting?
WK5H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »

tx inhibit isn't on, otherwise I wouldn't be able to hit the local repeaters.

What other options would there be?  I can't find anything else that would cause it?
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »

I've owned a THF6 for 7 years and its still working FB, putting out full spec power, RX in spec as measured on the bench.  Caveat emptor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: