Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes, the Antenna!  (Read 5574 times)
N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »

John,
Since this is your first antenna, my first recommendation would be to find a ham or club in your area.
They may be able to give you a hand putting an antenna together.

Stay away from the magnetic loops, even the very experienced have a time getting them properly tuned
and they are very narrowbanded!

IMHO, your first antenna could be a 40M Inverted Vee (or Dipole).
This will give you local QSO's during the day and some nice DX at night.

You have 40 to 45m (131-147feet) to play with.
So, when you have worked all the DX in the world with the 40M antenna  Grin
You could take it down and rebuild it as a 130-135ft dipole fed with 450ohm ladder line
and work all bands 80-10, with a good tuner...
Maybe even feed one side (1/2) against ground and work some 160M.

GL es 73, Rick - N8XI
VO1FZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:46 PM »

Just for fun, I'll go against the whole G5RV thing.

Not that it doesn't work - it does.  Nicely on 80, 40, 20, and 12.  Does not efficiently on 15 or 10, even though your tuner might well load them OK.  But here's the problem.  I hear more discussion on the air about repairing and modifying these things than I do for any other antenna, and its original design sometimes bears little resemblance to the original design.

As an alternative, check out the Alpha Delta DX-CC.  It's a truly all-band (non-WARC, so you don't get 30,17, or 12 meters) antenna that is extremely durable and is designed specifically for each band.  The only modification I've made to mine is to add a choke balun.  Oh, and you'll get about 65 khz bandwidth on 80.  15 meters is actually 3/4 wavelengths long per side, so the pattern is a little different there.
DXCC's aren't hugely more expensive than some G5RV's, and they are very predictable.

I should add they are a bit ugly to some eyes, but the gray wire tends to blend in a bit at a decent height.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: