Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Checking on a clear frequency?  (Read 708 times)
AC9TS

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2004, 06:32:47 PM »

The other night, I was spinning around the 40M novice band to try and get my speed up a bit. With all the broadcasters, I finally found a quite spot near the top. I listened for at least a minute or 2 while I was digging for a pen and some more paper. I tapped out a quick V and listened for 15 seconds. Another V and another 15 seconds. Nothing. So I did my usual 3xCQ de 3xAC9TS. A few seconds later, a station comes up and I start scribling.

Unfortunately, he was already in a QSO with somebody (that I couldn't hear) and he was complaining about somebody (me) CQ'ing on top of the other station.

On SSB, I always hear, "Is the frequency in use?" and someone answers if it is. What's the protocol on CW? If I send the V, even a single dit would have been enough for me to know the frequency was in use. Short of waiting for 5-10 minutes to make sure the freq is clear, what should I do?

Thanks,

Tom - AC9TS
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 07:39:52 PM »

"On SSB, I always hear, "Is the frequency in use?" and someone answers if it is. What's the protocol on CW?"

On CW, its "QRL". If the frequency is in use, you will get "QRL" back.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 09:10:20 PM »

I send  ONE  'fast'   "QRL?" .....Then TWO... "QRL? QRL?"... finally at more normal speed:  "QRL? DE N7DM" .     Usually it is clear, but the multiplicity allows for some guy on frequency to maybe be sending on my first one... hear me on the second.  It is not unusual for me to only hear one side of a QSO in progress, if one is.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 09:12:46 PM »

Oh.... and if a guy DOES respond, his response is coming out of  his 'copy' ... so you will likely get ONE... fast...   "R"
N0XAS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 11:06:20 AM »

I usually send a single "?", wait a minute, then try "QRL?" twice.  If nobody speaks up by then, I assume the frequency is not in use, at least no by anyone who can hear me.

Dale - N0XAS
http://www.hamgadgets.com/
NJ0E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:52:18 AM »

sometimes, stations will send the letter 'c' to
in reply to a 'qrl?'. this means 'confirm', or
'yes, the frequency is in use'.

scott nj0e
K9DI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 08:18:51 AM »

Hi gang,
     Wayne K9Di es Leader dog Patriot here.
NJ0E was partly right about why c is used to reply to a QRL?.
the reason C is used is an play on the Spanish word for yes.
si == yes  si is pronunced the same as C so that is why it is used...or so I was told when i first became a ham.
Vy7 3
de
Wayne K9DI
k9di at k9di dot org
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 06:50:21 PM »

On 40 Meters CW (7.040 mHz) the protocol seems to be one or two QRL?s, then a pregnant pause of about ten seconds, followed by a CQ.  You often can't tell if the frequency is clear listening without transmitting a QRL?, because the station transmitting may be in your skip zone (on 40 meters)  The person he is sending to is sure to hear you (Murphy's Law)

From what I've heard on 30 Meters (10.109 mHz) there is seldom activity enough to even get a reply from a QRL?

That's it, I only work 40 Meters and 30 Meters CW.
KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 12:12:07 PM »

When checking for activity on a freq, you have to add the question mark. So its "QRL?" for "is the freq in use?" a return would be "QRL" (freq in use) or "C" (which sounds like 'si' in Spanish. You may even hear "R" which I guess is for "roger" but it isn't standard practice.

73, Pete KA3RFE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: