Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL card station info question  (Read 2147 times)
AL7MM

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »

Yes, I know I'm cheap, but isn't that part of being a ham?
I changed callsigns a few months ago but still have a large stack (about 200) custom QSL cards with my old call.  Is it a complete no-no to keep using the cards, with my call crossed out and corrected on the back (all the QSO information is on the back)?
Thanks.
Mike, AL7MM
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »

Since QSL cards are not legal documents and not required even in contests, I would send the old card with the old call NOT crossed out and on the back explain that you have a new call and give the details. Some people just like to display cards and so keeping the front unchanged would enhance the esthetics for the display and the back of the card would give the updated accurate information. 

Why waste perfectly nice cards? 
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »

Just get some cheap labels made up with your new call on them and stick them over the old call

W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »

It aint classy but it is cost effective.  I agree:  use labels over the top of the old call sign and be sure to update the old incorrect  info ( state, grid square, address/zip code etc)  by crossing it out or labeling over top. At 30-40 cents per card, it adds up.  Especially for  typical qsos. 

I prefer to get nice qsls rather than budge cards, so using the higher cost spread makes sense. 

Old cards also made nice dividers for your paper qsls in  old shoe boxes.

AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »

I've received QSL card with the old call crossed out and the new one written over it, the new call on a label taped over the old call, and one hand written on an index card.

Not exactly my favorites but they count towards awards and places worked just as good as a fancy card does.
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »

Guess the question that I would have asked is WHY CHANGE your callsign, if you were worried about having to change it on your QSL cards just so you could save a few bucks. ??  Perhaps you should have kept your old call (even though you upgraded) until you ran out of cards, THEN apply for a new sequential callsign from the pool, if you hated your old call that much.  Since you, by your own admission, are "CHEAP", I won't even go down the "vanity" callsign route, but that is an option too.
Congratulations on your upgrade. Don't sweat changing (re-labeling) your existing cards... like was said earlier: I probably wouldn't display your (nice) card with an ugly label plastered on it, but it IS still good for award verifications, etc.
HAPPY HAMMIN'
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »

All this concern over QSL cards.  Suppose you had been around during the early early
novice days when just about every novice had QSL's that were from Leo Meyerson's
World Radio Labs  or even hand drawn.  Many novice cards had the "N' in the call sign
X ed out when they upgraded (when you went from novice to general your call got
the N dropped.  I went from WN5FIP to W5FIP.  I got KA5N an original issue after I got
an extra back in the 1970's. 
I have recieved nice cards, cheap cards marked up cards, sure I like the nice ones more
but what I like best is the "confirming QSO"  part.
Allen
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

If I don't receive 4-color folded printed front and back hi gloss cards, I'm sending them back postage due!  Grin

Do whatever it takes. There are no hard and fast rules (that I am aware of) except the QSO information better not appear modified or DXCC desk will probably kick it back when submitted.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

My favorite QSLs ( straying off topic for a bit) are those that show the operators face, his shack or home, some of his interests and accomplishments, his likes, old call signs, favorite hobbies, etc.

Glossy photos are terrific  but  cards from MT with a photo of the a tropical island and palm trees seem a little wierd.

Let the card reflect where you live for the rest of the world to see. 

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »

I once got a hand drawn QSL card from a YL operator in Ohio.  I had made her first PSK contact with and had sent her a card.  Her return card came back with a note apologizing that she didn't have any commercially printed cards.  I value this card as much as any in my collection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: