The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF-LO band on 70s radio?  (Read 1910 times)
K3CXG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »

Maryland State Police are still on 33.40 mhz and other nearby frequencies.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »

For the past 25 years being a serious VHF-LOW BAND user, both as a swl and as a ham VHF-LO band is still very hot.

From my pacific northwest location using various tuned VHF-LO band swl antennas and a dual head GENERAL ELECTRIC ORION (39-54MHZ) and(29-39MHZ) radio setup, I routinely pick up US MILITARY ops, both ground and helicopters, in Calif. and texas between 30 TO 43MHZ, Highway patrol in Calif., Missouri, North Carolina and other Southern states between 39 TO 45MHZ.

US and Central American Taxis around 31-33MHZ, numerous business such as farms and numerous pacific northwest forest ops around 33 -34 and 43-46MHZ.

On the ham radio side there have been numerous California, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, New York, North Carolina Ohio, Penn and pacific northwest ham FM repeaters between 29.62 -29.69 and also more between 51 and 54 MHZ.

For the past several years during summer solstice and again in the early Fall and then in late december, on the low end of the 50 MHz ham band, there are frequent CW and SSB South American, Japan and South Pacific openings not to mention US, Canada and Caribbean openings, all of these have been with moderate sized  6 element antennas and 100 watt transceivers.

Like any serious scanner or ham setup it requires a tuned antenna and a  good sensitivity transceiver/receiver and for 30-50 MHz swl I use a simple 7 element home made log periodic antenna and various commercial GE/MACOM transceivers as scanners and the same GE land mobile along with icom, yaesu and kenwood all mode cw/ssb transceivers for 29 and 50 MHZ  HAM.

Most scanners have poor sensitivity at VHF-LO and I found the GE ORION low band transceivers to make some of the best low band setups, with 64 scan channels in a group I can listen to everything I want in the FM band segments.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: