Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies with radio communication.  (Read 14128 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »

From the James Bond series:

Dr. No -- Opening scene in Kingston, Jamaica, where Commander Strangways of the British SS is shot dead by Dr. No's goons, and as a result, does not show up for his nightly radio transmission to MI6 on the status of the Dr. No surveillence.  To which, Strangway's secretary is setting up the radio for the transmission to London, and is subsequently shot dead by the same Dr. No thugs who show up at Strangway's outpost.....

Thunderball--As Bond and his associates enter their Bahamas station, the head of the Bahama station is monitoring a BBC Broadcast stating that Big Ben struck an extra ring due to a technical glitch....there is significance of this item to the story plot for which I forget.....

In the movie, The World Is Not Enough, there is scene when Bond is in a room full of radios (some kind of spy station) with his contacts...and these radios are old as the scene I believe is somewhere in Azerbiajan......Not the typical high tech you would otherwise expect if he'd be in the UK MI6 headquarters or something....

Other movies:

The Thing (1982 version) where Kurt Russell catches the Antarctic Research Bases radio guy napping with his head phones on....At which point, Russell cranks up the volume on the radio giving the radio guy the fright of his life....too funny....

World War III Mini Series....Opens with a Ham operator talking on his set, when he hears a comotion outside his Alaska dwelling.....He signs off the radio, grabs his rifle and checks on the comotion, to discover that the Soviet Army has invaded Alaska....The Ham is shot dead by the Russian soldiers when confronted.....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:17:30 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
KE7KTR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »

Ham radio and CB radio both make brief but prominent appearances in the recent movie "Super 8". 

I highly recommend it.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »

Well, if we're counting CB, Smokey and the Bandit. Most of the dialogue between Cledus and Bandit happened over the chicken band (and at some surprisingly long distances).

How about Star Trek 2, Wrath of Kahn? Kirk and Kahn were never in the same room, but they communicated the entire time over the sub-space band.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 03:55:05 AM »

How about the 1956 French film, 'Race for Life'? That is ALL ham radio - many of the crew of a trawler become very ill with food poisoning, the trawler radio breaks down, and a radio amateur on board uses ham radio to get essential drugs to the ship, with amateurs relaying messages between countries. As I remember, they even used various actual amateur's stations for the filming.

In French, but there are subtitled versions in English. It is in monochrome.
KF4FVG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »

Citizen's Band - Handle with Care     1977PG

Director Jonathan Demme weaves disarmingly quirky tales of the colorful characters who gab on a CB (Citizens' Band) radio in a rural Nebraska town. Spider has it out for a priest, while big-hearted Chrome Angel has to contend with two wives.  This movie interlaces the stories of several characters in a small town united by their use of CB (citizen's band) radio. Paul LeMat is the local CB coordinator who has time for little else in his life. His father, Roberts Blossom is a sour old man who is nice on the radio. Charles Napier is a trucker hospitalized after an accident, with hilarious consequences.
- Written by Reid Gagle

Cast:Paul Le Mat, Candy Clark, Bruce McGill, Roberts Blossom, Charles Napier, Ann Wedgeworth, Marcia Rodd, Ed Begley Jr., Harry NorthupGenre:Indie Comedies, Comedy
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »

One of my favorites is "The Anderson Tapes" starring Sean Connery. The movie contains a scene where a young crippled ham op saves the day.
YO9IRF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57:23 AM »

How about the 1956 French film, 'Race for Life'? That is ALL ham radio - many of the crew of a trawler become very ill with food poisoning, the trawler radio breaks down, and a radio amateur on board uses ham radio to get essential drugs to the ship, with amateurs relaying messages between countries. As I remember, they even used various actual amateur's stations for the filming.

In French, but there are subtitled versions in English. It is in monochrome.

I think you're talking about If all the guys in the world ...

I can't believe nobody mentioned The Red Tent  - real story, with Sean Connery, Claudia Cardinale, 1969

Spoiler: airship crashes over the Arctic and the survivors repair the transmitter by making a resistor out of graphite and paper; distress CW signal is recieved by a russian ham.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »

Best code you'll ever hear...

Legendary dancer, Eleanor Powell, taps real Morse to Red Skelton and Burt Lahr in MGM's "Ship Ahoy" from 1942. No doubt a wartime morale boost for military radio ops.

Background singer is Frank Sinatra accompanied by the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.    

Copyright holder forced YT to remove the sound from the clip, but now it's back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJAlgfkDKro

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:42 PM »

How about the movie "High Frequency" where ham radio is used to solve a murder? Not an overall bad movie, found it in the video store years ago (when they still had VCR tapes). Had never heard of it before that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095940/

John AF5CC
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 03:54:37 AM »

In Dr No, it's a KW Electronics 'Vanguard' tx, and when shot, she is changing frequency by tuning the PA tune control. Now I know that the old Geloso VFO pulled a bit, but that's ridiculous!

In 'Our Man Flint', there's a Drake TR4 being used on CW with a Vibroplex Deluxe bug key being used...

In 'From Russia with love', the Orient Express, supposedly in the middle of Europe, is hauled by an ex London, Midland and Scottish Railway Class 5 4-6-0........so much for accuracy.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 04:12:28 AM »

Then there's this entirely forgettable Brigitte Bardot vehicle:

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 05:38:28 AM »

Re: KB1WSY

Apparently Brigitte is a natural blonde and thinks the key is a mike.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »

I really enjoyed 'The Dish', that movie was well done. I liked all the vintage equipment they were using, right down to the nixie az/el indicators!!
K4TPC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »

"The Bourne Identity" when Nicky is scanning Paris law enforcement and also the network that brings up all the agents in the field to go after Jason Bourne.

N0MLR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »

I once saw a Charlie Chan movie and they were using Radio. In one scene he saw a coil and started to touch it. A spark came off it and got him on the fingers.

Also the Hardy Boys books had a part where hf radio was used if I remember right!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: