Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: loaning of club equipment  (Read 9910 times)
W5DWH

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »

Does your club have equipment such as gin poles, tower jacks, etc that it loans to it's members? If so, how do you handle the liability issue if some one borrows the gin pole, falls off the tower or drops it on someone. Then the club and it's members may get sued.

73 Donald W5DWH
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »

Legal liability is a potential issue in many club activities -- Field Day, ham fests, VE sessions, picnics, even regular meetings, etc.

The answer is liability insurance.

Affiliated clubs can obtain it through ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/affiliated-club-benefits

Mel - KS2G
W5DWH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »

Thanks. We just became an affiliated club but don't know if the liability insurance that they offer covers this kind of situation. From what I see it covers the club from liability as we participate in bike rides, etc but it doesn't specifically mention about one or two hams working on a tower project.

I sent them an email for clarification.

73 Donald
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »

The comments are right about liability.  It used to not be a factor in helping each other.

Having the special tools like gin poles, jacks etc. should be under the care of a custodian of club equipment. Rather than loaning it out it would be better if a club team familiar with the tools took them over and helped the ham do what is needed.

Loaning club tools is worse than loaning the tools in your garage. If you loan them to people they tend to not bring them back. I had rather go help somebody than to just let them have my tools and hope that they know how to use them, won't get hurt, won't break them or will not bring them back.

Walter  K5KNE
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:36:33 AM »

I NEVER loan tools or test equipment (especially test equipment)!  Too many times they didn't come back and one borrower even had the audacity to deny ever borrowing it (a VERY expensive commercial 1/2" drill).  My reply has become, "you'd have a better chance borrowing my toothbrush, so forget it".  Curt, I know (some may say rude) but my losses have STOPPED.
Tom
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:19:48 AM »

Things aren't like they used to be.  Years ago, we had no problem loaning out equipment--it always found its way back home.  We didn't have to worry about liability, people were happy to be able to use what was loaned them, and if it wasn't up to snuff they took their chances--or just didn't borrow the tool.

Ever since lawyers became  businessmen instead of being officers of the court, and started advertizing and looking for excuses to tell people to sue, things have gone downhill--and now the slope is almost a 90 degree one.  Too many people are sue happy, looking for quick and easy money, and they don't care about their fellow man--except to see how much money they can get from him.  That is what society has become.  Too bad that too many are proud of what they do!
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 05:24:40 AM »

Yeah!!  People are no damn good. 

Probably due to greenhouse gases.

Allen KA5N
KC9GMX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »

Yeah!!  People are no damn good. 

Probably due to greenhouse gases.

Allen KA5N

More logically speaking, this is what happens when you run a 1K amp into a folded dipole in the attic above your radio station!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »

The members of the club probably wouldn't be held liable, but the officers and the board would especially if they don't follow ALL legal requirements in setting up and operating the club, or if it can be shown that negligent in running some "club" activity.

That's why I quit serving as an officer of clubs and groups about 10 years ago.

N9LCD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: