Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anybody logged recently shut down "YHWH" pirate?  (Read 372 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »

From ARRL Regulatory and Advocacy:

http://www.arrl.org/news/unlicensed-religious-broadcaster-who-used-amateur-frequencies-ordered-off-the-air

Check the Youtube link-this guy apparently was some sort of Messianic Jew or maybe a British Israelist, the latter being a group that believes that Aryans are the "true" Jews. The recording was made at a Mojave Desert QTH, and QTH of the pirate was in Inyokern, CA, at the south end of the Owens Valley around where it opens up to the desert plateau, so most likely a groundwave rx as had been theorized. I don't do much DXing outside of ham bands anymore, so I never have heard this guy.

One YT commenter noted that Jews, including Messianic Jews, spell God's Name YHVH, since "W" does not exist in Hebrew. Therefore, this guy was likely some sort of independent Messianist or a follower of a sui generis quasi-messianic faith. I only listened to a couple minutes of the 9 min vid, but in that time he calls Christmas and Easter "pagan" and denies the coming of Jesus as the Messiah, so he wasn't Christian. He talks about "true Jews" so I thought he was maybe a British Israelist or a lone wolf believer. Has anybody logged this guy? Did he send QSL's?

I remember posting a log for pirate KMUD online about 15 years ago, back when I was a big pirate hunter, and lo and behold a QSL shows up in my mail a few weeks later. KMUD was near Lone Pine, in the Owens Valley. KMUD had an interesting setup-a HUGE WW2 military rig and homebrew power supply, shoehorned into an Airstream trailer with a long vertical (Hustler?) on top. The desert seems to be popular with some pirates, apparently they feel they won't be caught. They ignore the FCC's ability to DF skywave.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:30:34 AM »

I logged the station several times. He'd go on for more than an hour sometimes.

Like you said, he probably is some sort of lone wolf religious person.

When I heard him, he would mention a lot of Old Testament prophecies, and said the Messiah was yet to come. At least on the 3-4 times I heard him. Never heard him say anything about the return of Jesus, always what is going to happen when the Messiah appears... but then I only heard the guy 3-4 times.

As for Anglo-Israelism, I am well aware of that theology, as Gene Scott promoted some of it, and so have other preachers in the past. I don't recall YHWH mentioning the US being one of the lost tribes of Israel -- but then, like I said. I only heard the station 3-4 times.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:46:27 PM »

I logged the station several times. He'd go on for more than an hour sometimes.

Like you said, he probably is some sort of lone wolf religious person.

When I heard him, he would mention a lot of Old Testament prophecies, and said the Messiah was yet to come. At least on the 3-4 times I heard him. Never heard him say anything about the return of Jesus, always what is going to happen when the Messiah appears... but then I only heard the guy 3-4 times.

As for Anglo-Israelism, I am well aware of that theology, as Gene Scott promoted some of it, and so have other preachers in the past. I don't recall YHWH mentioning the US being one of the lost tribes of Israel -- but then, like I said. I only heard the station 3-4 times.

An hour is more than enough time for the FCC to DF the guy. He had SOME smarts, as he kept changing frequencies. But he'd pop up in the middle of ham and aero bands, which is just asking for trouble. I remember a report about some teens in Israel whose stn popped up in the middle of aero for Ben Gurion Int'l Airport. The Israelis were not amused, and quickly shut the kids down. I've heard of other pirates interfering with aero bands. I don't have a spectrum allocation table at hand, but apparently one aero band is right next to the 80m ham band, and pirates will hang out in the area, since ham transceivers cover it. That's also why 6955 was so popular-covered by most ham transceivers. As for the religious angle, I've met people who insist that Jesus was the messiah, BUT that didn't mean that his followers could disregard OT biblical laws. One guy I ran into said he'd soak non-kosher meat in salt water to make it kosher. Rabbis generally knead salt into the meat, then let the salt soak up the blood. But I thought the salt water idea was kinda nifty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: