Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your first shortwave radio?  (Read 152244 times)
AF6AU

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »

I was ~4 years old (1958), and my parents has a "Wards Airline" big wood box Hi-Fi record player + AM-FM and 2 shortwave bands (3-18MHz). I remember listening to the "Funny sounding words" I heard from the forign broadcasters. I heard my first CW and rember that, as without any BFO all I heard was thumps and hiss. Some CW rigs had AC hum, and so I could hear CW as thumps modulated with 120 hertz hum and hiss in-between.

My first REAL shortwave, a Hammarlund Red letter HQ-129X (1970 when I bought it for $25) , and I still have it, and it works better today than then, with select tubes and a decent alignment.

Back in '58 I remember VOA playing a lot of Sousa marches.

Such memories.
JML
AF6AU

N9SWA

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »

Sony icf 2010 just bought a Tucson 880 nice radio still miss my 2010.
WB5X

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »

The first radio that I purchased was an Allied Star Roamer in about 1966.  My first shortwave radio that I used was a Motorola R-390.
N5LB

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »

Hallicrafters S-108, that I still have in the closet.  My parents gave it to me for Christmas when I was 14; an paid Sear $6/month for a long time.  It became the receiver for my WN5ORM station.  I added a Heathkit Q Multiplier that helped because in the mid 60's there were a lot of SWL stations. 

A lot of SWL QSL's from the S-108.  Plus, it could heat my bedroom in the winter.
N1NQC

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2014, 02:09:15 AM »

Hey All,

First rcvr was an unknown model number RCA 1930's  tube set .It was my dad's and he  used it  to "track" WW II on a big map w/ flag pins . It originally came in a cabinet w/ a phonograph but had long since been mounted to a board. My brothers  and I copied  Scotland yard two way AM  comms and a  German  b'cast on a very  short ant in my basement.I was  hooked  !  But I was around 8 years old and  fairly quickly trashed it by fooling with it.

First "real" rcvr was a Hallicrafters S-120a transistor .In short order  I   had a 75 ft N-S antenna and 125 ft E-W antenna on a knife switch. A VERY good set up for a 9 or 10 year old kid, MUCH dx on b'cast band and SW.

I have a S-120a now, but it's not my original one  . It needs  some alignment/ refurb work.

First home brew rvcrs were crystal sets, some of which got SW by "accident".

de N1NQC
KK9H

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2014, 01:36:35 PM »

My first shortwave radio was a Knightkit Ocean Hopper built in 1960 which was a super regenerative receiver that used plug in coils for the different bands it covered. I remember learing where the 49, 31 and 25 meter bands were by memorizing which coil to use and where on the tuning dial to look for these bands. The tuning dial was simply calibrated from 0 to 100 so I used the various WWV and CHU stations to help me locate where I was. I had a 75 foot wire stretched out to a tree in the back yard and I remember staying up into the early hours of the morning listening to that radio. I would regularly listen to HCJB, Radio Moscow, Radio Havana, Radio Peking, Radio Australia and the BBC. Later I was given a Knightkit Star Roamer for Christmas and after carefully putting it together, I was in heaven because it became much easier to find all these stations. Popular Electronics magazine had a "Shortwave Monitor Station" certificate that you could send in for where they would issue a special WPE identifier, mine was WPE9IGS and I still have my certificate. Those were fun times and it is so unfortunate that practically all those stations are no longer on the air any more.
W2JUV

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2014, 02:57:19 PM »

Hallicrafters S38E, circa 1959
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: