The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back on SWL atfer 15 years !!  (Read 731 times)
N4MJG

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »

HI everyone !

Back in winter storms of 97 i got Yaesu FRG-100 for xmas atfer the Hallicrafter S38-D died !!
I been listen short wave for 4 years then i left it unplug atfer 15 years !

I just plug back in since last monday week ago from today, The receiver is 19 years old since it was new back 1997 brand new one cost $600.00

So glad that i got back into SWL i use it everyday and night and late night weekend !

This got me into ham radio on HF by listen since 97 i took my test back 2001 , I still have the FRG-100 still works !!  Grin

Jackie
N4MJG
K1FPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »

Congrats Jackie,

Well, it was being an SWL back in the late 50's and early 60's listening on a Knight Kit Span Master I built myself with money from my newspaper route that got me into Ham Radio! I still have the Span Master and listen to it, mostly on the AM BC band. I've had to fix it a number of times over the years, but it plays well!

By the way, I have an FRG-100, I used to use to receive WEFAX. I don't know if they still broadcast it on HF still or not.

Good Luck
Bill
K1FPV
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »

Welcome back.  Smiley

Was away from radio myself for over 25 yrs (kids, work) but have gotten back into it.
Some things are the same but there have been some changes too.  Most notably, not as many international SW broadcasters nowadays.  But, still lots to listen on SW besides broadcast... utility stations, areo, marine.  Also, have gotten into chasing LW beacons (NDBs) as well as AM BCB DX, then there's scanning... ships, planes, trains.  Tons of stuff to monitor.

Have fun!   
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:14:31 AM »

HI everyone !

Back in winter storms of 97 i got Yaesu FRG-100 for xmas atfer the Hallicrafter S38-D died !!
I been listen short wave for 4 years then i left it unplug atfer 15 years !

I just plug back in since last monday week ago from today, The receiver is 19 years old since it was new back 1997 brand new one cost $600.00

So glad that i got back into SWL i use it everyday and night and late night weekend !

This got me into ham radio on HF by listen since 97 i took my test back 2001 , I still have the FRG-100 still works !!  Grin

Jackie
N4MJG
  As a young SWL I heard my first ham and CB QSOs.  Motivated me to become a CBer, and then a ham!  Smiley
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:44:05 PM »

I don't miss the woodpecker.
I do miss the BBC world service.
There is much worth listening to if you can find it.
Like fishing, you never know what you will pull in next.  Grin
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:53:15 PM »

I don't miss the woodpecker.
I do miss the BBC world service.
There is much worth listening to if you can find it.
Like fishing, you never know what you will pull in next.  Grin
  Radio Moscow was a big one for me, and I remember listening to "Radio Habanna Cuba, transmitiendos de Cuba, territory libre de America!!!" Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: