Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR Tech Future?  (Read 15958 times)
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »

It was in another thread http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,79239.msg557636.html#msg557636

the PowerCore is what it is called.

NI0Z

Did you see this?

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=17031

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 07:05:54 AM »

I had not, however, there are a few ways in my mind to play this game and a lot more research is required on my part before I would pull the trigger anyways.  I have a tendency to plot a lot on making purchases like this, especially when I already have something and I am looking at upgrade options.

If you look at it as a 3-5 year purchase, you can look for the best deal you can get and still buy a PowerCore.  If you want an alternative and are willing to pay more, then I would look at a UAD.

There may be other options as well.

There is always the possibility that this whole approach is not a good option either since it's going to most likely run on the same PC as your SDR.  That's why I think if a person does go this route that dedicated DSP's on a card or in a FireWire box will be the way to go.

Keep in mind that there may already be PC based software that does some of this without any hardware at all, but it may tax your CPU.  One could look at a cheap or used PC to run something like that standalone, however, now your talking about two PC's in your shack, splitting the keyboard, monitor and mouse between them ( there are devices).

In all likelyhood on these devices your going to spend a great deal of time finding the sound you like and then hardly ever touching it again.  More food for thought!  Lots of fun at first but no big deal later.

The UAD's look cool too, but so far I like the hype better on the TC Electronics, it's ashame they are getting out of the game.

W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 08:53:04 AM »

It's the knobs!  I borrowed a Flex 1000 for a month and although it has interesting characteristics, it's a pain in the butt to operate. 

I see why contest operators hate SDR, too slow!

That said SDR has some niche applications no other RX is suited for i.e. skimmer RX. 

But for the casual ham its not a good fit.  We need fast knobs!
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »

It's the knobs!  I borrowed a Flex 1000 for a month and although it has interesting characteristics, it's a pain in the butt to operate. 

I see why contest operators hate SDR, too slow!

That said SDR has some niche applications no other RX is suited for i.e. skimmer RX. 

But for the casual ham its not a good fit.  We need fast knobs!

I am curious about these comments?  I can buy in that setting up an SDR for contesting would be a little challenging if a person is not very computer savvy, but after its setup, one has added the software as I have, knobs and touch controls like I have, why would it be bad for contesting?

I would see things like the Panadaptor and tight integration with other software like DX Spotters, Logging, digital modes as very desirable for contesting. 

I can see and tune my station to a signal as fast if not faster than the other radios I have or had.  Can you help me understand that part of your comments better?  And yes, upfront, I am not a contester so that is precisely why I would like to understand your views.

I consider myself very much a casual hammer and enjoy the challenges that building an SDR station has presented.  It seems to me that these kind of technical challenges are part of the very rich enjoyment many hams in general seek?

BTW, I am not trying to start a debate on what's better, because I beleive what's best is a very individualiled and personal in nature.  I would like to understand what seems like a very broad and sweeping statement about being a bad contesting platform.  The real question is why is an SDR station bad for contesting in your opinion?

NI0Z

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: