Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic QRP...some say primitive...  (Read 3111 times)
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »

Yesterday while working QRO at 100W I exchanged signal reports with a ZL on 10 meters. Seemed so easy that it wouldn't even be worth mentioning at a ham club meeting. So to appease the QRP gods I got out my Rockmite 20 and within a couple of minutes had a very nice QSO with a guy I had worked just a week ago, out in Ohio. (I'm in MN). A fun 20 minute QSO where we talked about how his new antenna was working. Afterwards I checked my output: 600 mW which is about right for a Rockie. Then, since fate was with me I broke out my Rockmite 40 and had a QSO with a guy here in MN. If you know the Rockmite, there isn't much there, ya know?
Theres always talk about the high end stuff. Anyone using the primitive, crystal controlled stuff much? Seems after 40 years I get more of a kick out of running the Rockie off a battery working a guy a few hundred miles away. Even the YL, who has no interest in ham radio, will look at the board and be impressed......
72 de WB0FDJ DOC
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »

Just getting started in HF. I upgraded to General on 10-1. I have tried working as much as I could on 5 watts when 10m is really open. I have worked a good amount of Europe on 5 watts and JA on 10. I have a feeling that the more I do the more towards QRP I will head. That being said some times 100 is needed. All of it is fun anyway!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:51:32 AM »

Maybe qrp is a primevil instinct,otherwise  maybe some shrink out there could tell me why I feel guilty about using more than 5 watts output!

73  Jim
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

I have a few. I have a crystal controlled single tube tx with a 50L6. it works quite well. It is on 80m and I have a 3555 a 3579(of course) a 3580 and a couple up in 36 territory. I listen always and this is carved in stone on my 12sny single tube regen. Have worked west a few hundred miles and as far east as NC. It is what was called The Bare Essentials rig except I used a 50L6 or 50C6 instead of a 50C5. I also have a TNT 1929s rig . About 1 to 1.5 watts on battery. it is a 40M rig and has its own matching single tube regen (both have an 01 tube on battery power. ) I have a hartley with a 45 tube on 40 as well. and an QRP am rig I built that is actually a transciever. 2 tubes in each section. it has about 1/2 watt + actually output I also have a 1 watt three transistor HB unit on 80M CW. I find this stuff fun.
Don VE3LYX
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »

The way this world is going, soon we all we be QRPers ?
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »

Don
Your "hollow state" rigs sound fascinating to me. I took a ham radio course back in 1971, offered at the community college I was attending. We only studied tube theory. I recall struggling with what was going on in tubes and how amplification worked. Seems like almost overnight we went to solid state semiconductors and I've hardly thought about a tube since.
The longer I'm in ham radio the more attracted I am to the simpler, basic stuff. Yeah, I gotta think about tubes now.
Thanks.

73 Doc WB0FDJ
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »

I know cw isn't primitive. But in the future its Key/keyer interphase will be,the future should give us voice/cw, where your voice is TX as cw.
KF7LCE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »

I know cw isn't primitive. But in the future its Key/keyer interphase will be,the future should give us voice/cw, where your voice is TX as cw.

Please, not this again.
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:55:50 AM »

Actually what I had in mind is the experience of using very simple, low parts count, easily assembled, lowest tech possible, crystal controlled radios. Examples would be the Rockmite or DC20B. Homebrew often falls into this catagory.

A voice controlled keyer, aside from being a vast waste of resources, is clearly not in the range of this topic. It introduces a new layer of complexity where none is required. I can do CW by turning a carrier wave on and off. Simple. Effective. No (few) moving parts to break. No software to fuss with. The very radios I refer to can do this at a cost of about $30. Why would anyone want to make such an elegantly simple process more complicated?
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »

Theres always talk about the high end stuff. Anyone using the primitive, crystal controlled stuff much? Seems after 40 years I get more of a kick out of running the Rockie off a battery working a guy a few hundred miles away. Even the YL, who has no interest in ham radio, will look at the board and be impressed......
72 de WB0FDJ DOC

I have three Rockmites (3579.5, 7040 and 14060 KHz). I use them from time to time, primarily on
camping trips. Something magic about using a minimal radio from my tent a few miles from the
nearest road.

You sound like a good candidate to dabble in QRP ARCI's 'Pet Rock Contest' (on January 7 2012).

I've participated in it a couple of times, and had fun.

You don't have to be a QRP ARCI member to participate.

http://www.qrparci.org/content/view/8373/118/

Scott W5ESE
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »

W1JKA  JIM.its not so bad working low power. After you go to a  few meeting. I say 'Hi , my name is terry kg4ymc and I run ten watts thru a g5rv'. Everyone says "HI terry"  Cheesy Mabey there is a support group for us , hi. I just got back from visting a ham in forsythe ga that has a farm on 25 acers . He has about a 700 ft elevlation . We set up my ncg tribander l0 watts, and he had a dipole . Set in his garage , drank coronas and worked sweden , and japan. it is still a blast to do low power, this hobby is just plain fun. We were ok till had to go home , and his great pyrense dogs decided to make a chew toy out of coax. It was cheap radio shack stuff , so no big loss, just go to show you can have fun in this hobby using  anything. Life is to short to argue qrp or high power, thats time wasted not being on the air . Enjoy . kg4ymc Smiley the sound of roosters crowing in the background , priceless. Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: