Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone with Boom Questions  (Read 4342 times)
ND9B

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »

I've decided to try a boom microphone. I think it would help free up some desk space, and position the mic for my most comfortable sitting position. I will use it with an Icom IC-756ProIII. I'm in this hobby for the duration, so I'm looking for quality, durable items. Heil seems to be the only brand in the catalogs, and I see good reviews on the PR-781 microphone and the PL-2T boom. Would this be a good choice? Any other recommendations?

I see Heil has an Icom cable. How is T/R switching handled? I definitely want a locking transmit button/switch within easy reach (not the transmit button on the rig). Is there a pig tail on the cable for a switch? I spend hours on nets, and comfort is paramount.

ND9B
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »

Go to a second hand store,   pick up a  desk lamp .  the kind that mounts on the  shelf,  swings around ,extends on  pantograph arms.

take the lamp off, mount your microphone on the lamp mount location.
Quick and dirty.. cost you   two bucks. ..

edit........    foot switch.. most rigs have a rear panel  location for  PTT.
leaves both hands free.  one to tune  one to write.
I accuired about  20    dictation foot switches.  most have  3 sets of contacts.
no one should operate with out a foot switch..

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:12:12 AM by K9YLI » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »

I might add to this, "buy one of he Heil elements for $30.00 and put it into a mic holder of some kind and with the 2 buck flex arm, you're in business. 

Many years ago I bought a boom mic/headset combination at a hamfest for a few bucks.  The mic never worked from the git go and it lay around until I replaced it with a Heil HC-4 element.  I get great reports.  Damn site cheaper than buying the who shebang..... but then I got flamed for the suggestion of making a cable instead of buying one.

KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »

Heil seems to be the only brand in the catalogs

Their are many others besides Heil that work great but you will have to shop around. MXL, Shure, and others make good studio mics. I know a lot of people using MXL mic's and they sound great. You would probably have to look somewhere besides the ham catalogs to find brands other than Heil. Musicians friend and B & H Photo are a couple of places that sell a lot of audio gear and various studio mic's. Some studio mics will require 48vdc that your rig probably won't supply so be aware of that. You would have to supply the voltage from another source. Fortunately the PR-781 is not one of these.

I currently use a Heil studio mic with the Pl-2T and love it. However, price is not everything. Their are a lot of mics out there for half the price of the Heil's that sound every bit as good. You will just have to experiment and figure out what works for you. I don't think you will go wrong with the PR-781 though.

How is T/R switching handled? I definitely want a locking transmit button/switch within easy reach (not the transmit button on the rig).

As for T/R. The Heil cable has a pigtail with a 1/4" mono plug. I have the Heil HS-2 hand switch and it is very comfortable and easy to key. No locking feature but I haven't found it to be too much of an issue when keying for long periods of time as the key switch is pretty light to the touch.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:45:54 PM by K4EKG » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:38:21 AM »

Go to a second hand store,   pick up a  desk lamp .  the kind that mounts on the  shelf,  swings around ,extends on  pantograph arms.

take the lamp off, mount your microphone on the lamp mount location.
Quick and dirty.. cost you   two bucks. ..

Many years ago as a kid, I took an old gooseneck lamp and wired a mic element where the bulb goes.  I could sit it on my desk, or hang the base right on my wall or shelf!   Did the job for years.
K5XIT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:30:50 AM »

The Heil boom is heavy duty and excellent. Use the PR781 and Heil's cord with it. This is perhaps the very best  setup to use with the Icom.  Heil also sells a foot switch and a hand push to talk switch.  Don't buy junk to use with a high quality radio like the Pro III.  This equipment will out last your radiio.  (If you ask Bob Heil, he will recommend the  PR781 with the Pro III)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »

I've decided to try a boom microphone. I think it would help free up some desk space, and position the mic for my most comfortable sitting position. I will use it with an Icom IC-756ProIII. I'm in this hobby for the duration, so I'm looking for quality, durable items. Heil seems to be the only brand in the catalogs, and I see good reviews on the PR-781 microphone and the PL-2T boom. Would this be a good choice? Any other recommendations?

I see Heil has an Icom cable. How is T/R switching handled? I definitely want a locking transmit button/switch within easy reach (not the transmit button on the rig). Is there a pig tail on the cable for a switch? I spend hours on nets, and comfort is paramount.

ND9B

Well as far as the boom mike goes, I have the Heil setup of the scissor arm boom (think it is #PS2T or something close to that) with the Heil GM-5 microphone and I run that into a W2IHY EQ-Plus audio processor. For PTT, I use a Heil footswitch. It plugs right into the Kenwood cord for the GM-5 mic. After using a footswitch, I would not think of ever going back to anything else to key the setup with. It leaves both hands free to run the radio and write notes, log, whatever is needed. The scissor boom is really nice cause when I am running CW or RTTY, I simply push the mic out of the way at the desk edge and it stays there until I pull it back to use it. Many comments are right - you can put together something out of this and that from the surplus that will work (or not). I have a kludge setup that worked ok but just didn't work as well as I thought it should. I watched around and found Heil stuff on sale and put together my setup. I doubt I could not be any more pleased than am I, unless I had gotten everything for free Smiley

(Reread original : Yes it is the PL2T that I have.)

Good Luck in setting up your boom mic. I think you will be very pleased in that style of operating.

Gene W5DQ
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:06:27 AM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N4HAL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »

Recently found a boom at "pandawill.com", ordered it and am happy with it so far. Only one problem found with my setup, had to attach the boom to the front edge of my upper operating level shelf as the desktop is flush against the wall and would not allow for the proper movement of the scissor movement. Price was about $25.

Bill
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »

Heil's latest boom is sturdy and QUIET. Leo LaPorte "abuses/moves" his all the time while on the air, and you never hear noises from the springs or arms.

Heil recently introduced the HM-12 mic - an EXCELLENT value ... and WELL UNDER $100. My mini-review is posted at ...

http://web.me.com/clintbradford/k6lcs/HM12.html

Clint, K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »

There is altogether too much  "silver stranded speaker wire" mentality creeping into the hobby.  The less they know, the more they think they have to buy 25 dollar mike cables.  NO ONE should be flamed for knowing how to solder a connector. 
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »

Boom mics are great. I have both the Pro Set and the BM-10. You can turn your head, reach for something, sit back in your chair, etc. and you still hit the radio with the proper audio level. WITHOUT, that is, having to turn the mic gain up so high that the guy at the other end of the QSO can hear your linear's fan and your swivel chair squeak.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »

Boom mics are great. I have both the Pro Set and the BM-10. You can turn your head, reach for something, sit back in your chair, etc. and you still hit the radio with the proper audio level. WITHOUT, that is, having to turn the mic gain up so high that the guy at the other end of the QSO can hear your linear's fan and your swivel chair squeak.

Me, too.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 03:44:36 PM »

I might add to this, "buy one of he Heil elements for $30.00 and put it into a mic holder of some kind and with the 2 buck flex arm, you're in business. 

Heil doesn't sell mic elements any more.

I've used an Audio-Technica "dynamic vocal mic" and a Behringer C-2 condenser mic (with outboard preamp) on a boom, feeding into an FT-450.    They sound fine.  You have to be careful to reduce the bass response of "full-range" mics for some rigs.

Another alternative is the new Heil HM-12.  It's reasonably cheap, and should be very good for most rigs.

Charles
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »

The Heil HM-12 retails for about US$70 retail. My mini-review is at ...

http://tinyurl.com/HEIL-HM12

A VERY natural-sounding vocal mic ...

I have no financial interest in this ... Well, the "disclaimer" explaining all is at the bottom of that page.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: