Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your most Painful SWL event?  (Read 17183 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »

What is yours?
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:18:47 AM »

Brushing two antenna wires with my old Hallicrafters SX34 on a dry winter's night. OUCH!
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »

Finding nothing but Brother Stair, Alex Jones or Pete Peters simulcast on every station I happen to tune in.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »

Finding nothing but Brother Stair, Alex Jones or Pete Peters simulcast on every station I happen to tune in.
Alex Jones,I know it was painful for you Shocked
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »

What is yours?
   This SWL "disaster" actually happened to someone I knew.  A friend of mine was arranging a date with a "truck stop YL" on the CB band way back in the '70s from his mobile.  He forgot all about the shortwave radio that was sitting right on his kitchen table!  Unfortunately for him, the wife copied most of the conversation, and as they say, the rest (meaning the marriage) was soon history.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »

Okinawa 1969,I was a SGT in The First special Forces Group, newly assigns B-380 at camp Hardy combat training center.
 The cadre at the camp were all combat veterans who tested A teams for deployment, when not in the field ,we all took turns as duty SGT at the CP , soon my turn came as duty sgt, the CP had an PRC-25 radio that we use to monitor the teams our in the field
for Emergencies, with in an hour, the PRC-25 came to life with traffic from Vietnam ,An Army callsign was calling for help from his platoon leader (Dog 6 , all callsign with 6 in it denotes a leader). The battle went on until 0300 hrs,by that time the OP was full of SWL ,with that look in their faces, that all combat solders get in battle .I have cut a lot of this story out because it hurts me to this day ,also dog 6 wasn't the true call sign.
So the hold platoon was calling for help, and Okinawa was the only station that could hear their calls for help, we reported this to
Our Group HQ  and they could only reported to pearl harbor, and pearl said they couldn't help! This happened to us more than once.
The platoon went of the air at 0300 hrs because they were over ran, by the enemy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:37:36 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »

My most painful SWL was hearing what I thought a broadcast in English from Radio India. But, it was too weak to make out, much less QSL.

Not quite SWL, but a Fire Dept. in my area was hearing radio traffic of a multiple alarm fire from the next door city's FD on the mutual aid channel. They started putting units on standby to help the next door city. They finally contacted the neighboring city to see what orders they had for their cities' FD units.

It was just a drill. Oops.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:05:47 AM »

Third grade being bad and my angry Mom sent me to bed early, then caught me listening to the radio under the covers an hour later.  That one hurt...
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »

Coming home from college for the summer
finding that my parents had donated my
National NC-183D receiver to the Salvation Army
because the thought it was "junk".

The "D" was the double coversion model,
of course the more collectible one...

Ken  AD6KA
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »

This isn't strictly SWL'ing but it was PAINFUL!

My QTH was a lakefront high rise, up about 400 feet.  I was using a WJ/CEI 903A to monitor approach control at ORD.  True to tradition, the RF & AF gain controls were cranked all the way up -- even though I was using earphones.

AN inbound AA flight, passing about four miles north of me on final, keyed his VHF air-ground transmitter.

Oh, my poor aching ears!

N9LCD
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

Shortly after I left home for military service, my mom ripped off and tossed the SWBC station QSL cards I had tapped to my bedroom wall.

New bedroom paint job.

That hurt but I forgave her.
KC7NRY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »

Listening to an old folk tale on Radio New Zealand around 11 Mhz, our new puppy chased one of our cats and she jumped up, scratching the h3!! out of me and knocking over my DX-394. It landed on its face, break the body of the radio behind the tuning dial and disabling half of the keypad and the mode switch....haven't listened in for more than 14 years since.....anyone know a good repair tech for this old radio?
KD5KFL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »

brushing a plate cap. that's a connection for ~350 volts to the plate of a big vacuum tube to you youngsters.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »

Dropping an R-390A on my foot.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: