Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT2900R VS. Icom v8000  (Read 10691 times)
KJ0EMA

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:24:38 AM »

Both radios have good reviews but which one would you give the edge too for  a newbie starting out ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:08:36 AM by KD0QAV » Logged

JOHN , KD0QAV
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »

The truth is, I wouldn't buy either one of them. So I guess I'm not the one to advise you. And you know what else? Neither is anyone else unless that have the exact likes, and dislikes you have. The best way to learn which is the best one for you, is go to your nearest dealer, and play with both of them.

If you have just got to ask, then ask what folks don't like about the respective models. You get better answers that way.

KJ0EMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »

The truth is, I wouldn't buy either one of them. So I guess I'm not the one to advise you. And you know what else? Neither is anyone else unless that have the exact likes, and dislikes you have. The best way to learn which is the best one for you, is go to your nearest dealer, and play with both of them.

If you have just got to ask, then ask what folks don't like about the respective models. You get better answers that way.
Ok I'll bite , you said you wouldn't buy either one. Please due tell , what Don't you like about these two respective models ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:16:31 PM by KD0QAV » Logged

JOHN , KD0QAV
KF7RMF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »

I own a IC-V8000 and love it. I'm a bit biased because I'm a big overall Icom fan. IMO they are easy to program, great power output 75 watts (works well here in Northern Nevada with all the mountains), and from my experience as a LEO they are somewhat bulletproof. We put ours through the paces and they still kept on tickin'. 
GREGWTH7MMMAG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »

Ok, Ill bite on this, as I am in the market for a 2m mobile as well.  What do you guys least like about the 2900, and 1900 from yaesu, and the 2200/2100, and 8000 from Icom, and maybe throw kenwood's model in there as well?

KD0PWN
KJ0EMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »

Well , I went ahead and ordered the Yaesu FT2900R radio along with a Astron RS-35M power supply. Now it's on to find a 2 meter base antenna for home and a mobil for my truck.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:53:18 PM by KD0QAV » Logged

JOHN , KD0QAV
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »

Hi John,

I have the same exact radio and power supply setup for my home base station.  I really enjoy the setup, and it gets out very well.  I have no regrets with my setup, and the nice thing is that you'll have a power supply that you can grow into.

Wane - KB7FSC
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »

I have FT-2800M which is somewhat similar to FT-2900R, and I have used IC-V8000,  I had to add FAN to cool FT-2800M if I want to transmit more than 1 minutes or so,  IC-V8000 has FAN build in.   it is cheaper to buy FT-2900M and FAN however.
KJ0EMA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »

Hi John,

I have the same exact radio and power supply setup for my home base station.  I really enjoy the setup, and it gets out very well.  I have no regrets with my setup, and the nice thing is that you'll have a power supply that you can grow into.

Wane - KB7FSC
May I ask what antenna you went with ?

JOHN , KD0QAV
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 05:58:20 AM »

I had it hooked up to a Tram 5/8 over 5/8 wave MURS antenna originally.  I bought it from Pixxman on Ebay, and was satisfied with the results.  I ended up giving that antenna to my father-in-law to use with his radio, and then hooked up to a home made J-Pole for a few months.  I finally splurged and bought a Diamond F22A.  I am very impressed with this antenna.  It is a 7/8 over 7/8 wave antenna and it has a published gain of 6.7 dBi.  It is very well built and the main reason I bought it is that it has a wind rating of 112 MPH.  It has a very flat SWR on 2M, and comes pre-tuned.  I am a fan of this antenna, and I'm able to get into the repeaters in my area despite the fact that my QTH is somewhat shrouded by hills.  I am feeding it with 9913 coax.

Good luck in your purchasing process!

Wane - KB7FSC
GREGWTH7MMMAG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »

Looks like HRO is sold out of the 2200H locally, so I think I'll be going with an FT 2900 here.  AE6ZW, how did you wire the fan in on your 2800?  I assume you tied into the radio somehow, so it only came on when the radio was turned on?

KD0PWN
SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:01:27 PM »

After owning a lot of different Icom and Yaesu mobile radios my conclusion is that Yaesu is a winner,
Icom may have an edge as far as the ergonomics but it looses when it comes to intermodulation.
If you live in a town with RF-intensive environment, go with Yaesu, otherwise it does not matter which brand you choose as long as you dig the ergonomics.
GREGWTH7MMMAG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »

Well, Im going in the am to the candy store to get a new 2900, so Ill put it to the test.  I would like to put a 40mm fan on the back of it to help cool it at times though.

KD0PWN
W4JPS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »

I have and actively use both.

The active cooling (fan), and known longevity is great on the Icom, as I have used it for at least an hour daily for 11 years...
The Icom is also smaller, has two display colors, is much lighter and has a loud front firing speaker; my main pet peeve is that I still need the manual to do almost anything, even deleting a memory.

The Yaesu has a larger single color only display, just as loud bottom firing speaker, a better interface (the menu is one level deep and 59 items wide and operates with the relative ease of my older FT-2500M whereas the Icom has several different confusing menu levels and sizes), the Tx is over 80W in the middle of the band, it has better passive cooling (heat-sink) but my main pet peeve here is that it still DESPERATELY needs a fan.  It is a gutsy radio though, and definitely tougher built, so it doubles as a weapon or brick.  All of this is great, but only time will tell if it can outlive the Icom.
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »

Well, Im going in the am to the candy store to get a new 2900, so Ill put it to the test.  I would like to put a 40mm fan on the back of it to help cool it at times though.

Found this FT-2900 cooling fan video - It worked for me using a Aero Cool Shark 120mm fan on top of the radio. I also use the included wire harness that reduces the voltage to 7v - still get 800 RPM and 32.5 CFM. It's really quiet at 7v. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-yZ4BnpdQ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: